'Stylish' hill-climbing electric folder for around a 1000??

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi morphix

It is still on going We are waiting for delivery off our new motors with the controller inside

we will fit a rear rack mounted 48 volt 15 ah battery

Frank

Last edited:

12xu22

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
Hi Opaz,
I think you'll be impressed by the Fast4ward Edge. You can take advantage of our 'Try Before You Buy' scheme and borrow one Free Of Charge for 3 days. Then you can test it on your hills at home in your own time?

All the best with your search!
Mark
I now own an Edge and can confirm it climbs hills beautifully; I have ridden it up Elland bypass (local knowledge required here!) without breaking a sweat; on a conventional bike this particular route was torture to put it mildly being a relentless uphill slog of a mile or so. The Edge took it in its stride, it is a great little bike; the worst you could say about it is that the gear range is woefully inadequate, fine for the climbing the hills but useless for letting rip on the descent. But apart from that, it looks fantastic, the range is pretty good, and the motor is practically silent (not to mention the battery is tiny and unobtrusive). Oh, and the best thing about it is relatively lightweight (in so far as an electric bike can be); 19kg as opposed to 22 or more on most other bikes; you certainly notice those missing kilos.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Hi morphix

It is still on going We are waiting for delivery off our new motors with the controller inside

we will fit a rear rack mounted 48 volt 15 ah battery

Frank
Are you fitting a rear hub motor then to avoid having to mess with the forks which I believe are aluminium on the Raleigh Boardwalk Lite? If you're going for a rear, how will this affect the gears?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I really think the 2 BH emotion Panasonic powered folders on Ebay are looking good value. One is on auction with 16 bids so far, and the 12Ah one is on a "buy it now" for £1100 or offers.

These are £1600 bikes from onbike or 50 cycles and well reviewed...

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
I now own an Edge and can confirm it climbs hills beautifully; I have ridden it up Elland bypass (local knowledge required here!) without breaking a sweat; on a conventional bike this particular route was torture to put it mildly being a relentless uphill slog of a mile or so. The Edge took it in its stride, it is a great little bike; the worst you could say about it is that the gear range is woefully inadequate, fine for the climbing the hills but useless for letting rip on the descent. But apart from that, it looks fantastic, the range is pretty good, and the motor is practically silent (not to mention the battery is tiny and unobtrusive). Oh, and the best thing about it is relatively lightweight (in so far as an electric bike can be); 19kg as opposed to 22 or more on most other bikes; you certainly notice those missing kilos.
Great to hear you are happy! We have sold so many of the Edge this year.

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
I now own an Edge.... (not to mention the battery is tiny and unobtrusive).
Just how small is that battery? I notice that the Ultra Motor site is unforthcoming about the capacity, apart from the usual unrealistic claim of "up to 25 miles".

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I really think the 2 BH emotion Panasonic powered folders on Ebay are looking good value. One is on auction with 16 bids so far, and the 12Ah one is on a "buy it now" for £1100 or offers.

These are £1600 bikes from onbike or 50 cycles and well reviewed...

Plus I thought you wanted something stylish and good hill climber!:D

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Just how small is that battery? I notice that the Ultra Motor site is unforthcoming about the capacity, apart from the usual unrealistic claim of "up to 25 miles".
Hi Roger,

Its no secret, it says it on the battery too! 9ah Li-ion Panasonic cells. Range of 25 miles is realistic when using pedal assist on standard power. I test them all myself. I'm sure our users will confirm this.

Thanks
Mark

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
Its no secret, it says it on the battery too! 9ah Li-ion Panasonic cells. Range of 25 miles is realistic when using pedal assist on standard power. I test them all myself. I'm sure our users will confirm this.
I looked on your page (Ultra Motor) for this bike and all it says about the battery is this: "Battery. Panasonic advanced lithium ion battery removable for portable charging". I don't have access to one of your batteries to read what it says on there.

I'll take you and your users' word for the range. All I can say is that that sort of result does not accord with my experience; otherwise most bikes would surely have similarly titchy batteries.

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
I looked on your page (Ultra Motor) for this bike and all it says about the battery is this: "Battery. Panasonic advanced lithium ion battery removable for portable charging". I don't have access to one of your batteries to read what it says on there.

I'll take you and your users' word for the range. All I can say is that that sort of result does not accord with my experience; otherwise most bikes would surely have similarly titchy batteries.
Hi Roger,

I'll have a word with our web team to put the full spec on the site. :)

It is a very well packaged battery box and is 24V rather than 36v. Your always welcome to try one with our 'Try Before You Buy' scheme.

All the best
Mark

12xu22

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
Hi Roger,

Thanks
Mark
Yup, I have had about 20 miles out of it over hilly terrain, inc. some full power riding, with juice to spare ... and I promise I'm not on commission