Swytch rims

Marchant

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2010
Bath, UK
Being hopelessly inept and unconfident I entrusted the fitting of my Swytch kit to a professional but the first rim burst 5x inner tubes and although Swytch were good enough to supply a replacement, the second is giving the same trouble. My bike tech says the rim is too narrow. Has anyone else experienced similar problems?
cheers, Marchant.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Only similar problem I have had with inner tubes on my Swytch rims was when I fitted some dubious (i.e. cheap) inner tubes. They did look a bit long for the rim and burst within a few miles.

No such problems with Schwalbe inner tubes.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
This is from the switch website:
Maybe you need a smaller size (width) inner tube i.e. 1.25 instead of 1.5.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
If you keep getting punctures then it could be inner tube quality or the wrong type fitted. It could be lack of rim tape or maybe its a single wall rim that could do with two rim tapes because of the protruding spoke nipples. Also on cheap rims maybe they aren't completely smooth internally, check all surfaces internally by sight and a single finger to make sure there are no burrs. Maybe there is a thorn or a piece of glass in the tyre and you need to check the tyre. Maybe the inner tube is being over inflated or under inflated.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Might be helpful, to the forum, if you told us the type of puncture and where it was exacty these punctures occurred, with 5+ being burst there might be some correlation.

And details of the inner tubes you are using, thier size, the rim width and tyre size might possibly be helpful too.