Synergie mistral

echowind

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2008
According to the new brochure {electric transport shop.com} the Synergie Mistral has a brushless motor. Is this correct?

Kal

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2008
I've always understood that the Synergie Mistral has a brushed rear wheel motor.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've always thought it was, but without any evidence, and have been surprised at members posting that it's a brush motor. With the low cost of Hall effect motors and controllers now, there's little point in fitting a brush motor, and they must be getting scarce and difficult to source now anyway.

echowind

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2008
I thought it was a brushless motor, there was a discussion about the drag/cogging, i think i will give them a call.

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
I think the idea that the Suzhou Bafang fitted to the Mistral has brushes arose from postings to the effect that it is difficult to pedal without power, some users using the word "drag", others "cogging". I was concerned about this prior to purchase but went ahead anyway. I cannot say there is much evidence of cogging, but possibly there is some drag. However, I think this arises more from the weight of the bike, rather than the brushes, if there are any. And if the battery is removed from the unpowered bike the weight is reduced by 4.6 kgs, making pedalling, albeit in lower gears, easier.

The front wheel Suzhou Bafang fitted to my Speed TR is sold by Alien Bikes as "brushless" and I have not found much difference between it and the Mistral motor when power is unavailable.

However, I am not much of an authority on all of this as I endeavour never to run out of power!

Kal

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2008
Would the number of wires coming out of the motor confirm which type of motor the Synergie Mistral has? I think there are only two wires and I have read that this means it's a brushed motor but I don't know if this is correct.

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
I think I read this somewhere too, but do not remember where. There are certainly only two connections to the motor, presumably the positive and negative of the power supply.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
If it was brushless it would be most likely to have 8 wires, so sounds like its a brushed motor.

Brushed motors are a bit noisier than brushless, but an advantage is that they typically have lower rolling resistance (cogging)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, with two wires it is brushed after all.

Hall effect motors normally have either 3 or 8 wires, 3 wires for the type that has to be pedalled off the mark before the motor cuts in, 8 wires for those that drive from a standstill.

The Tongxin Nano Hall effect motor is the one exception to that, since it can drive from a standstill without the five additional wires using a different type of feedback system to the controller.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
I seem to remember that the cytronex nano motor, needs pedalling up to 5mph before the motor is turned on.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I seem to remember that the cytronex nano motor, needs pedalling up to 5mph before the motor is turned on.
That's by their design choice Paul, it could drive from a standstill if they chose to design their system to use the Nano that way. They've opted for the more range economical option, rather than the Brompton way with the Nano powering off the mark.