Tandem Trike

David Stanbridge

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2015
Bexhill on Sea
Firstly, I'd like to thank everyone on here who helped me decide (on an earlier thread) on the best option for powering my tandem trike.

I went ahead and bought this http://www.ciclotekstore.eu/b2c/producto/9822067/2/bpm-lcd5-e-bike-motor-kit-36v-11-ah-usb-gp-battery-

It's taken me a little while to install but I'm nearly there, took it for a test ride this evening and it's great up the hills! The controller allows you to limit the speed, which is useful for a top heavy tandem trike.

The only problem I have is the throttle doesn't work, I'm on my 3rd email to ciclotek with no response.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Doesn't work at all? Doesn't work on startup?

I think you will have to go into the options of the LCD 5 and probably into the messy C options to turn the throttle on first. By default it will be in walk assist mode. Does that work? Long press on the down button IIRC.

Ciclotek always reply within 24 hrs to my e-mails.

David Stanbridge

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2015
Bexhill on Sea
Doesn't work at all? Doesn't work on startup?

I think you will have to go into the options of the LCD 5 and probably into the messy C options to turn the throttle on first. By default it will be in walk assist mode. Does that work? Long press on the down button IIRC.

Ciclotek always reply within 24 hrs to my e-mails.
Yes, non responsive from the start, (contact form and throttle).

I did wonder if it may be an option on the LCD 5. Hopefully it will be that simple!

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Really silly question have you tried pedalling a couple of revolutions and then applying the throttle?
A lot of bikes require the pedals to be operating before engaging the throttle.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Your LCD as shown on the link in your post looks to be identical to my
Kunteng LCD 1.
A Manual can be downloaded from this link

http://www.szktdz.com/upload/file/20140814/20140814015208_34156.pdf

look at settings for P4 handlebar start mode ( they mean throttle start up mode)

If you change any settings it's a good idea to write down all the settings as they are now and particularly don't change P1 setting as I believe from others who know more than me that the incorrect setting can be harmful to the motor.
Dave.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
http://www.ciclotekstore.eu/b2c/producto/ScreenSettingsPlatiniumAdvanced/2/screen-settings-platinium-advanced

P4 = 0 or 1 and there is C4 to set with values from a lovely table which is in Chinglish...

C4 value * P4=0 * P4=1
0 * zero startup handlebar * Non-zero startup handlebar
1 * Zero startup, handlebar speed limit is 6Km/h * Before power assist, the handlebar speed limit is 6Km/h, after power assist, handlebar is full speed.
2 * Zero startup, handlebar speed limit is specified * Non-zero startup, handlebar is speed specified limit.
3 * Zero startup, Zero gear effectively *
Before power assist, the handlebar speed limit is
6Km/h, after power assist, handlebar is full speed. Stop power assist, return the handlebar speed limit is 6Km/h.
4 * Handlebar gears is distinguished according to the display meter. * Non-zero startup handlebar, Handlebar gears is distinguished according to the display meter.
5 * Retain * Retain

David Stanbridge

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2015
Bexhill on Sea
Excellent, thanks for your help chaps. The throttle is now switched on and working fine.
It should make a big difference when trying to pull away with this beast of a trike.
We're taking it out for its maiden voyage tomorrow, I'm looking forward to the hills now!

Reactions: D C and flecc

appyarry

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2015
Lyminge, Kent
[QUOTE="David Stanbridge.
It should make a big difference when trying to pull away with this beast of a trike.[/QUOTE]
Can you post a picture of the Trike? I have converted a Pashley Picador Trike using a Bafang crank drive motor and it is great, my wife loves it. I tried clicking a link you posted and it showed a trike with the two wheels at the front which is much preferable to the two at the rear. I'm very interested to hear your feedback on your upgrade and how the Trike handles. Ta.

David Stanbridge

Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2015
Bexhill on Sea
[QUOTE="David Stanbridge.
It should make a big difference when trying to pull away with this beast of a trike.
Can you post a picture of the Trike? I have converted a Pashley Picador Trike using a Bafang crank drive motor and it is great, my wife loves it. I tried clicking a link you posted and it showed a trike with the two wheels at the front which is much preferable to the two at the rear. I'm very interested to hear your feedback on your upgrade and how the Trike handles. Ta.[/QUOTE]

I've just got back from the maiden voyage, and nothing broke or fell off!

The conversion hasn't changed the handling much, but it's made it safer on the roads because I can pull away at junctions a lot quicker now and the hills are great fun.

I'll be making myself a case for the control box which fits snugly into the frame because the bag thing that came with the kit just gets in the way.

Next time it comes out I'll take a couple of photos and post them on here.