Telegraph Transport Headline, "Fears over plans to double e-bike power

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
E-bike power may double despite deadly threat from battery fires
Government proposal aimed at boosting uptake despite widespread concerns over ‘huge safety risk’
Gareth Corfield29 February 2024 • 6:09pm

Sofia Duarte died in her flat when the lithium-ion batteries on her e-bike ignited

Sofia Duarte died in her flat when the lithium-ion batteries on her e-bike (pictured) ignited CREDIT: UNPIXS
Electric bike motors would double in power under government plans, despite fears the move risks causing potentially lethal fires.
A Department for Transport (DfT) consultation has proposed doubling the permitted power limit for electric bike motors to 500 watts, up from the current level of 250 watts.
It is part of plans to encourage a wider uptake of so-called active travel by improving e-bikes’ performance and boosting their uptake among consumers and businesses, such as food delivery companies.
Officials say increasing the power will encourage more couriers and people with mobility issues to use bikes instead of vans or cars, while reducing the effort needed to pedal – especially uphill.

Sofia Duarte, 21, died after leaving her e-bike charging in a stairwell of her flat on the Old Kent Road CREDIT: UNPIXS
Other proposals in the consultation include relaxing an existing rule which stipulates that e-bike motors must only provide assistance when the user is pedalling.
While the maximum speed of e-bikes would remain capped at 15.5mph under the plans, official documents reveal that increasing the maximum power of motors could allow bikes that have been “tampered with” to achieve higher speeds.
The consultation documents does warn that “there may be a risk of more severe battery fires from more powerful e-cycles”, which could also “be exacerbated by tampering”.
The proposed plans have triggered concerns among experts who say the changes risk blurring the lines between e-bikes and mopeds, while increasing the risk of deadly fires.
It comes just days after a London coroner’s court heard that a woman died in a fire caused by an e-bike battery.
Sofia Duarte, 21, died in a blaze at her flat on Old Kent Road, in South East London, on Jan 1, 2023.
Southwark coroner’s court heard on Monday that a lithium-ion battery from an e-bike in the stairwell of a block of flats had ignited while being charged.
Ms Duarte succumbed to burns and smoke inhalation while trying to escape. The cause of the initial battery fire could not be determined, the inquest heard.
Sarah McMonagle, director of external affairs at charity Cycling UK, said: “These proposals present a huge safety risk to pedestrians and others who cycle.

Transport for London has banned e-bikes and e-scooters from their network CREDIT: David Gee / Alamy Stock Photo
“The dramatically increased power would mean faster acceleration and much heavier bikes, which we’re really concerned about.
“E-cycles with no pedal requirement would also reduce the health benefits of e-cycling – in essence, they would blur the line between e-bikes and electric motorbikes.”
James Metcalfe, founder of Volt E-Bikes, a manufacturer, said: “Plans to alter the power output will attract unsafe batteries and potentially encourage users to tamper with them.”
A spokesman for the charity Electrical Safety First added that the fire risk from e-bike batteries was already high.
“Substandard e-bikes are already causing devastating fires across the country and it is concerning that the Government is consulting on permitting an increase in their power without first addressing the critical safety concerns we have raised,” he said.
Six hand grenades
“At present, a fully charged e-bike battery can release a similar amount of stored energy to six hand grenades if the device fails. We need tighter regulation to ensure e-bikes and their batteries are safe before they come onto the market.”
It is not a legal requirement to wear a helmet while riding an e-bike, nor do riders need to obtain a compulsory basic training certificate – the legal requirement for moped and low-powered motorcycle users.
Transport for London banned e-bikes from trains and buses in the capital in 2021, after a spate of fires from the machines’ lithium-ion batteries.
Such fires are harder to extinguish because of the batteries’ tendency to re-ignite after flames are damped down.
A DfT spokesman said: “We’re launching this consultation to gather views on how we can increase power safely for certain users, including those with mobility issues and e-cargo bike operators.
“Safety is always at the heart of any decisions made around e-bikes and the results of the consultation will be published.”

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
The shock/horror picture (is it stock....?), shows a dinner plate that is probably 1000W to 1500W. What's that got to do with increasing legal limit from 250W to 500W? Nothing.....

More lazy right wing journalism, they should focus on the real issue that the masses need informed about and that's batteries and how to look after them....as motors on their own can't catch fire as they are made of metal...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Another base less news report where as usual the reporter has no idea of what they are writing about.
Fire risks won't increase by this fact alone, it needs a fool on the end of the process who doesn't understand what they are doing such as charging in a confined space or under a stairwell. The stairs above being the likely only route escape for residents in flats, personally ebikes should be banned from flats as one never knows what death trap some idiot has converted or bought as a conversion.
Recent reminder at least 15 dead in block of flats in China last week , cause likely attributed to an ebike as part of the investigation.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Can we expect the same level of research applied to all the news covered in the rag? It would explain a lot after all. someones mums pal has an uneducated opinion and its front page news..

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
personally ebikes should be banned from flats as one never knows what death trap some idiot has converted or bought as a conversion.
Ebikes shouldn't be banned from flats. Although memorably horrifying when they do happen, ebike battery fires are extremely rare. I assume ebike owners are more likely to be struck by lightning when not riding their bikes.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
personally ebikes should be banned from flats as one never knows what death trap some idiot has converted or bought as a conversion.
You also don't know in flats who has chip pan on or has fallen asleep on couch with a lit cigarette, neither of these are banned from flats.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I assume ebike owners are more likely to be struck by lightning when not riding their bikes.
While riding a bike I couldnt tell you the statistics of that, but about 60 people in the UK are struck by lightning each year.

ebike battery fires are extremely rare
Well yes and no, in that that is really an all encompassing statement.
The truth is they are rare, but the more Li-ion systems we have, that rarity, statistically speaking becomes less and less.

The point really isn't their rarity, because they do happen, but to alert the public on how best to avoid it happening to them.
ie correct charging procedures, or dont buy just any old charger down the local market.
People should know this due to the fires caused by cheap phone or E-cig chargers that went pop, but you know people. And while the damage done from a phone or E-cig losing the rag are minimal, a big battery as found on Ebike systems is another matter entirely.

What you always find of the phone or E-cig fires were Joe/Jill bloggs reports to media that they only just plugged it is, but are completely silent on the origin of their charger, and we only find out later they got a replacement down the market for £1.99
£1.99 as opposed to £20.99
£1.99 plus the cost of a replacement sofa/livingroom.

So its going to be education more than anything thats going to keep the public safe, that and more stringent policing on disreputable sellers of untested electronic imports.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony1951

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Despicable, lazy writing and clickbait. Most of the UK press, both left and right are like this. Not worth reading.

As someone said above - probably a cheap, nasty charger. I would guess a charger of the wrong voltage which just happened to have the same connector on it. I think I can guess what would happen if I stuck a cheap 52 volt charger on my 36 volt battery. It is a guess though.... Maybe the BMS would cut in and stop the charge current flowing. I have no idea.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
If you're caught in storm on a bike remember to put on ALL the headphones you have on you and also remember to tuck it in....

Instead of passing through his body, which doctors say would have stopped his heart and damaged internal organs, the charge went down the headphone cable, attached to a radio on his belt.

He was dressed in work clothes, including rubber boots, and instead of earthing via his feet, the charge earthed through his penis.

Jurkovic said that he had been trying to pedal to shelter when he was struck by the lightning bolt, but it was “too late.”

He was found by people passing by in a van, one of whom told 24 Sata: “We were shocked when we saw the man. He was sitting in the rain, with steam rising from him … [and] burns on his head and neck.”

They put him in the van and took him to hospital, where doctors said it was a “miracle” he was alive.

Pingk

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2023
If you're caught in storm on a bike remember to put on ALL the headphones you have on you and also remember to tuck it in....

Instead of passing through his body, which doctors say would have stopped his heart and damaged internal organs, the charge went down the headphone cable, attached to a radio on his belt.
This wouldn't work for most people with wireless headphones. Another reason to bring back the headphone jack!

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I'm currently working in a property that's just had a solar panel and battery system installed. The battery and charger/inverter is mounted inside the house, just on the other side of the wall is the EV charger - in the rain :eek: . Obviously this battery is far larger than any eapc battery.
Where's the scary, sensationalist headlines about this?
"PEOPLE INSTALLING POTENTIAL FIREBOMBS IN THEIR HOUSES."
Or for the conspiracy theorist approach:
"GOVERNMENT PERSUADING PEOPLE TO INSTALL EXPLOSIVES IN THEIR HOUSES. WHY?"

I agree, it's down to education. I hate to say it but maybe there should be some certificate required before charger ownership.
Mind you, all the certification attached to electrical work hasn't stopped the irresponsible cowboys - I see the evidence on occassion.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I'm currently working in a property that's just had a solar panel and battery system installed. The battery and charger/inverter is mounted inside the house, just on the other side of the wall is the EV charger - in the rain :eek: . Obviously this battery is far larger than any eapc battery.
Where's the scary, sensationalist headlines about this?
"PEOPLE INSTALLING POTENTIAL FIREBOMBS IN THEIR HOUSES."
Or for the conspiracy theorist approach:
"GOVERNMENT PERSUADING PEOPLE TO INSTALL EXPLOSIVES IN THEIR HOUSES. WHY?"
Here you are:

This guy says how dangerous it is.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Sorry, I was being sarcastic. The point being that li-ion technology seems to be far more stable than earlier iterations and remains so as long as it not abused.
Domestic batteries are now routinely being installed inside houses. Would any one keep a container of petrol, with the equivalent energy storage as the battery, in their house?
The mainstream media seem to be continually stirring up anxiety by sensationalist 'reporting' of incidents from a dearth of any technical understanding.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Domestic batteries are now routinely being installed inside houses. Would any one keep a container of petrol, with the equivalent energy storage as the battery, in their house?

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Sorry I posted and then got busy and did not reply. Only after I posted did I notice there was a thread already discussing the story which had also appeared in The Guardian. I agree that the story from The Telegraph is click bait, similar to much that appears in that paper, and of very poor quality.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Sorry I posted and then got busy and did not reply. Only after I posted did I notice there was a thread already discussing the story which had also appeared in The Guardian. I agree that the story from The Telegraph is click bait, similar to much that appears in that paper, and of very poor quality.