Telegraph Transport Headline, "Fears over plans to double e-bike power

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I think the point here is that batteries are perfectly safe so long as they are not abused. I would assume that the bms and associated control system for a domestic battery is way more sophisticated than anything we see on an eapc. After all, weight is no problem and physical dimensions not really a concern, within reason.
I would guess that the cells are charged to a voltage something less than their maximum and not discharged as low as our bike batteries, with a lot more sophisticated balance circuitry. OK, so this means more cells for a given capacity, but they'll last longer.

Also charging current can be finely controlled with heat sensors incorporated. I would also guess that there are fail safe circuits involved, such that the battery cannot overcharge or provide too much current output.
I'm not aware of any reports of fires linked to batteries as a cause. There are reports of fires linked to poor connections in consumer units and this is why regs have come full circle and now require consumer units to be metal after lobbying by fire brigades.
The sarcasm was that, if a fire occurs in a house with a battery, the press will jump on it with all the hyperbole their sensation addled brains can muster and the battery will get the blame, no matter the actual cause.

Reactions: Woosh