Tested my helmet today.

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
Y
Also I have to ask how many dedicated cycle routes does the U.K. have compared to the Dutch as there the argument for helmet haters in this thread and do they mix it up with road transport as much ?
Don't you think it's a bit juvenile to refer to people, who have exercised their free choice to not wear a bike helmet, as haters?

There must be many things that you don't do merely through preference, surely that doesn't turn you into a hater.

wheeler

Chris.

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2018
UK
I'm sure I look like an ideot wearing a helmet and have even had someone call me a dick riding down the road wearing one while wearing shades to keep flys out my eyes. I'd rather look like a dick than have a brain injury or even worse. I never wore one as a kid and had one acedent and have a scar on my forhead to prove it. Luckily I didn't hit the curb with enough force to do any real damage. It doesn't matter how good you can ride a bike you can't always compensate for driver error or avoid a blow out. I'd rather have one and not ever need it than not have one the one time I do. It only takes once

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Don't you think it's a bit juvenile to refer to people, who have exercised their free choice to not wear a bike helmet, as haters?

There must be many things that you don't do merely through preference, surely that doesn't turn you into a hater.

wheeler

Is this place not a free place to have an opinion ?
As for my preference as a hater yes I am
I hate stupidity
I hate lack of common sense
I hate smoking
I hate rude people
I hate bad drivers
Just too name a few
Your world must be very tranquil if you hate nothing
If that’s juvenile too have an opinion then so be it but that’s your opinion not mine

And just too finish off as with a lot of people they have opinions but don’t wish anyone else to this is remarkably clear from you getting a bee in your bonnet about me calling people “helmet haters “
Then you calling me “ juvenile “
Isn’t this just another opinion ? Or is this double standards on your part which by the way is another thing I hate .

Last edited:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
These arguments just get more and more silly. As a utility cyclist I don't cycle in the woods so forget the wire. And as for badly driven vehicles forcing into me, I'm in London for goodness sake, don't you think that's happened to me, often? I just make sure that doesn't affect me, it's easy to do but perhaps that's beyond your conception with your different riding type.

For starters I won't ride without a mirror and use it all the time with good effect. That's why I don't get caught out by the nutters who make close last minute passes in dangerous spots, since I see their likely intention and let them have precedence. That's easy to do at moderate speeds, but not at the daft speeds so many now cycle at in potentially dangerous circumstances. Like Wheeler who posted above, I'm as safe with my type of cycling as I am walking, and I don't wear a helmet for walking.

I've had a long lifetime of cycling and motorcycling with not a mark on me from that. It proves my point about my knowing best about my own safety, certainly better than anyone else can know.
Your right this is getting silly! But I like silly on a Sunday morning so lets get more silly.
Do you believe that you are totally in control of your life and your actions alone determine how you navigate your way through the world and there is no such thing as fate or that someone could be lucky/unlucky?
Years ago I had a car crash, the detail isnt important but the basics are that I stopped at a red light, the bus behind me didn't and hit me hard enough to write off the car. The driver accepted full responsibility on the spot, but the reality is that at that point in space and time he was too close and couldn't stop.
So lets go back an hour and 10 miles down the road when his journey started and imagine the chain of events that led to that point in time, again the detail isn't important.. He had travelled 10 miles, passed about 30 stops and picked up or dropped off around 100 passengers with each pickup/drop-off time being determined by the number of passengers at the stop which in turn determines how many cars pass while its stationary or whether or not it gets to the next set of lights at green or red. Now lets look at just one of those passengers.. who could have been delayed for a number of reasons, perhaps the dog shat on the carpet which had to be cleaned up ending with this passenger missing an earlier bus. If this dog hadn't shat on the carpet this passenger would have boarded the earlier bus and my bus's journey would have changed ever so slightly so that at "the point in time" of my accident it could have been slightly further up or down the road resulting in a different outcome.
So does that mean that a dog pooping on a carpet 10 miles away and an hour before I even started my journey initiated a chain of events that resulted in me getting my car squished?
And that's only one passenger, what about the other 99?
Is that's what's referred to as the butterfly effect?
Did I mention silly?

• :D
Reactions: Fat Rat

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Or is this double standards on your part which by the way is another thing I hate .
No double standards with me, you gave the answer when you mentioned tranquil.

I leave others to live their lives the way they want to and I'm completely relaxed about how they choose to do that. Hating anyone for anything is pointless, it never solves anything and can actually make things worse.

I'm relaxed until their life includes telling me what's best for me. Then I tend to tell them to get stuffed, particularly if they persist.

Look back in this thread. My opening post didn't tell anyone else what to do, I merely stated what I do for my own safety, which didn't include a helmet. And that's when the idiotic interfering lecturing began.

By all means others can express opinions on what's best for themselves in their circumstances, but not for me since they can't possibly know that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zac

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Do you believe that you are totally in control of your life and your actions alone determine how you navigate your way through the world and there is no such thing as fate or that someone could be lucky/unlucky?
Years ago I had a car crash, the detail isnt important but the basics are that I stopped at a red light, the bus behind me didn't and hit me hard enough to write off the car. The driver accepted full responsibility on the spot, but the reality is that at that point in space and time he was too close and couldn't stop.
Here we go again, the "what if" agenda. Of course anything can happen, but they likelyhood of most things is very small, especially if one behaves with safety in mind. Life is riddled with risks and a cycle helmet only deals with a miniscule fraction of one per cent of them, and those very poorly anyway due to the helmet inadequacy.

As I've explained in here many times, I'm little interested in secondary safety, alleviating the effects of accidents.

All my thought and actions are directed towards primary safety, not having accidents in the first place. And that is largely under individual control as my long lifetime of cycling, motorcycling and driving proves beyond any possible doubt. Luck plays little part, it cannot hold over many hundreds of thousands of miles and seventy plus years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zac

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
At Flecc's age he would be far better off wearing inflatable trousers to
protect against a broken hip. (no offence flecc):D

• :D
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
At Flecc's age he would be far better off wearing inflatable trousers to
protect against a broken hip. (no offence flecc):D
No offence taken, humour always welcome.

I don't know if it's my safety first attitude or just extra strong bones, but I've never broken a bone in my life.

Cue the nanny state brigade telling me that it could happen to me at any time. :)

Reactions: Gubbins

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Another thing that has arisen from my innocent sharing of my little accident, and is something I see regularly on this forum is the giving and/or taking of offence. This is probably unintentional initially but such debates often escalate to downright and unnecesary rudenes. If we were still in the playground there would have been more than a few fights..

lyme

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Staffordshire
I tested mine around six weeks ago after clipping a post on a cycle path at around 20mph on my road bike which resulted in me landing on my back with my bike on top of me although I do not remember much about it.

Luckily I was wearing a helmet as I always do and fortunately this took the impact and has cracked badly but did its job.

I would never advocate that everyone has to wear a helmet as it is down to individual choice but I always do and luckily for me this time it did its job.

• Agree
Reactions: Eagle

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
No double standards with me, you gave the answer when you mentioned tranquil.

I leave others to live their lives the way they want to and I'm completely relaxed about how they choose to do that. Hating anyone for anything is pointless, it never solves anything and can actually make things worse.

I'm relaxed until their life includes telling me what's best for me. Then I tend to tell them to get stuffed, particularly if they persist.

Look back in this thread. My opening post didn't tell anyone else what to do, I merely stated what I do for my own safety, which didn't include a helmet. And that's when the idiotic interfering lecturing began.

By all means others can express opinions on what's best for themselves in their circumstances, but not for me since they can't possibly know that.
Appreciate the reply but as you can see my reply wasn’t for you at all :)

We are all free to do as we wish one of them being freedom of speech which wheeler doesn’t seem to grasp very well as my comment about helmet haters seems to have hit a chord with him
God only knows why as you hate wearing them why there’s a problem with that I don’t know
Maybe he would like to reply by telling me what I should have written instead of calling me juvenile as he is such a force to be reckoned with in the literal sense

Steve Bowles

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2018
St Leonards, England
That being the case, for which activities, with a statistically similar or greater risk of head injury, do you also wear a plastic hat? Maybe walking in a public place, travelling in a motor car, attending a golf match, or walking under a ladder.

It's all a matter of perceived risk, your perception of the risk to your napper from riding a bicycle is apparently much greater than mine.

I cycle in the Dutch style for transport or just pleasure. Others cycle for sport dressed up in a "Power Ranger" suit with their feet fastened to the pedals of a device which is inherently unstable at 0mph and use the public road as a gymnasium. For such people a plastic hat may well be of use, for me, not so much.

That is why it must be left up to the individual to decide how much risk is involved and whether or not to mitigate that risk by wearing a plastic hat.

wheeler
I am from Montana, where up until recently the speed limit was "reasonable and prudent" for the road conditions. Seat belts were up to the individual. I wear a helmet (usually) because I am 69 years old and have only been cycling for six months or so, and if my balance waivers any little bit, I am liable to meet the pavement. I was speaking only for myself. What others do, or don't do, is their rightful individual choice.

Steve Bowles

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2018
St Leonards, England
Another thing that has arisen from my innocent sharing of my little accident, and is something I see regularly on this forum is the giving and/or taking of offence. This is probably unintentional initially but such debates often escalate to downright and unnecesary rudenes. If we were still in the playground there would have been more than a few fights..
I think that may come down to the youthfulness of most of our members. Young men love speed, old men just want to get a little older.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think that may come down to the youthfulness of most of our members. Young men love speed, old men just want to get a little older.
That youthfulness certainly not the case in here Steve as our polls show!

80% of our members are in the second half of life, over 40 years old.