Tested my helmet today.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I think that may come down to the youthfulness of most of our members.
I could be wrong but I get the impression most of the members (at least the ones that post) aren't all that young. I don't know what the average age of the member ship is but I would imagine its over 40, and probably a lot higher than the membership of a typical cycling forum.

Just seen Fleccs post above, apparently 80% of member ship are over 40.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ill out live you all muhahahah now wheres my spliff :D

Attachments

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I could be wrong but I get the impression most of the members (at least the ones that post) aren't all that young. I don't know what the average age of the member ship is but I would imagine its over 40, and probably a lot higher than the membership of a typical cycling forum.
Ah! What exactly is a typical cycling forum tho? A typical cycling forum probably has competitions to see who sweats the most! I am very sure I am not a member of a typical cycling forum.. pmsl

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
S1030690.jpg
:p

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
We are all free to do as we wish one of them being freedom of speech which wheeler doesn’t seem to grasp very well as my comment about helmet haters seems to have hit a chord with him
God only knows why as you hate wearing them why there’s a problem with that I don’t know
Perhaps you could indicate where in this thread I say I "hate wearing them". As I explained in my earlier post I prefer not to wear a helmet as do others, that does not make me or anyone else a hater.

Maybe he would like to reply by telling me what I should have written instead of calling me juvenile as he is such a force to be reckoned with in the literal sense
You could have said "non-helmet wearers", not so snappy and misses out on the alliteration but at least it would be accurate.

If you read my previous post you'll find that I did not refer to you as juvenile but your use of the word "haters". Perhaps you are quite happy to use "hate" interchangeably with "dislike" but I believe hating something is far more intense and the word should only be used where appropriate and where there is evidence of hate being demonstrated. Your use of "helmet haters" failed on both counts.

wheeler

• Disagree
Reactions: Fat Rat

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
I tested mine around six weeks ago after clipping a post on a cycle path at around 20mph on my road bike which resulted in me landing on my back with my bike on top of me although I do not remember much about it.

Luckily I was wearing a helmet as I always do and fortunately this took the impact and has cracked badly but did its job.

I would never advocate that everyone has to wear a helmet as it is down to individual choice but I always do and luckily for me this time it did its job.
Agreed.

Reactions: lyme

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just seen Fleccs post above, apparently 80% of member ship are over 40.
We've had more than one poll and the results are always the same. The last one in 2010 showed just over 20% up to 40 years old, the rest over and the largest group taking part were over 60. Under 30s are rare enough to be red listed as an endangered species.

Here's the link

Incidentally Frank Curran of Powabyke checked some 800 warranty cards received and only just over 7% of the customers were under 40 years old. So our trend appears to be towards younger, but only slightly.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I am a bike helmet sceptic.

How many professional or amateur bike racers who have died in a crash since helmets are obligatory were wearing a helmet? 100% or close... And a recent recall of trusted brand name helmets made me sit up and take notice too.

Do I wear one? Yes: 99% of the time on the trike, when I cross the border to Spanish Basque Country (mandatory on the open road) and when it is really sunny (better air circulation than a cap).

Mine isn't a flimsy thing full of holes, it is a hard shell bowl helmet completely covering the brow and giving protection to the sides and back of the head. Having tried a motorbike helmet once at speed I only believe in full face helmets but they don't make those for road bikes.

Reactions: flecc

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
How many professional or amateur bike racers who have died in a crash since helmets are obligatory were wearing a helmet? 100% or close...

If helmets are obligatory then they are all wearing then so would be 100%. Wouldn't it?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
How many professional or amateur bike racers who have died in a crash since helmets are obligatory were wearing a helmet? 100% or close...

If helmets are obligatory then they are all wearing then so would be 100%. Wouldn't it?
IIRC there was a guy who took his off and had it on the bars one hot sunny stage he crashed on - was that in Italy? Too many years ago. So I was playing safe with my statistics :D

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
Gubbins,

Thanks for your informative post. I am glad that you are in a fit state to be able to write it.

I agree with you and Fat Rat on wearing a helmet, but obviously it is up to each individual to make up their own mind on this matter.

As we all know, cyclists and motorcycle riders are extremely vulnerable to the carelessness of other road users, no matter how skilled a particular individual rider may be.

How many times after a car/motorcycle collision is the familiar, “Sorry mate, I didn’t see you” trotted out?

A minor “bump” in a car/car collision may subsequently lead to heightened tempers and an exchange of pleasantries but both drivers will usually walk away with nothing more than their pride being hurt.

When a car or other vehicle hits a cyclist there is a good chance that the cyclist will be badly injured or even killed.

If by wearing a helmet the cyclist has a much greater chance of survival and no bleeding of the brain after his head hits the kerb or other solid object, then that gets my vote every time.

Those who prefer to not wear a helmet may wish to spend just 69 seconds of their valuable time looking at the video of somebody who used to be James Cracknell:

https://www.headway.org.uk/get-involved/campaigns/cycle-helmets/

This thread has also prompted me to upgrade my very old (1997) cycle helmet.

I do appreciate that NTA 8776, which originated in the Netherlands, is the helmet standard for 45km/h speed e-bikes (S-EPACs) and not the standard for 15.5 km/h pedelecs that most of us on this forum use.

Nevertheless I think it is worth looking at this new standard and in particular,

“This helmet looks like a bicycle helmet, but protects against higher impact speeds and covers a larger part of the head. In comparison with the bicycle helmet, the S-EPAC helmet offers particularly more protection for the temporal and occipital areas of the head”.

https://www.bike-eu.com/laws-regulations/nieuws/2016/08/standard-for-speed-e-bike-helmets-published-10126993

Also bear in mind that our pedelecs are often travelling at more than 25km/h and nearer/above 45 km/h. I certainly do in hilly West Wales.

Here are two examples of Abus helmets from FRANK:
https://www.checkfrank.co.uk/

Who is Frank?
https://www.checkfrank.co.uk/customer-service/about-frank/who-is-frank

Abus Pedelec + for high-speed ebikes (from £84):

https://www.checkfrank.co.uk/abus-pedelec-high-speed-e-bike-helmet

https://www.abus.com/uk/Mobile-Security/Bike-Safety-and-Security/Helmets/Urban/Pedelec3

Also available for £70 at Mantel:
https://www.mantel.com/uk/abus-pedelec-helmet

Standard Abus Pedelec helmet (from £68):

https://www.checkfrank.co.uk/abus-pedelec-helmet/248675

https://www.abus.com/uk/Mobile-Security/Bike-Safety-and-Security/Helmets/Urban/Pedelec

If you are planning to replace your helmet then an extra £16 buys even greater protection.
Just a thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fat Rat

Steve Bowles

Pedelecer
Mar 23, 2018
St Leonards, England
If you have nothing inside your skull that's worth protecting, then by all means exercise your right not to wear a helmet. :)

I hate them, too, but I don't want to take a chance of spending my later years drooling into a cup, and chanting "I like traffic lights" over and over.

• Agree
Reactions: Wicky and Eagle

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
I particularly like this comment from Dr Andy Eynon, Consultant in Neurosciences Intensive Care, Wessex Neurological Centre:

“I see first-hand the effect a traumatic brain injury can have. It is my job and that of my colleagues to not only save lives but try to make those lives worth living. Cycle helmets offer vital protection to one’s fragile skull and can save lives and significantly reduce damage to the brain in the event of an impact. If every cyclist wore a helmet the number of cyclists killed or seriously injured each year would be reduced.

"You would never think about taking your laptop about without putting it in a case. Why would you not do the same for your own brain - the most precious computer you will ever own and for which there are no spare parts?

https://www.headway.org.uk/get-involved/campaigns/cycle-helmets/

• Agree
Reactions: Wicky

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
What a load of old ....

The only thing a bike helmet will protect you from is a low speed, low impact shock. If it was capable of better protection professional racers wouldn't die of head injuries but unfortunately they do. In 63 years I have never hit my head in a bike crash and I have had a fair few. More recently often caused by a blood/alcohol ratio that would get my drivers licence taken away. So even pissed as the proverbial newt I look after what is left of my brain.

To be complete: I never ride the trike after drinking a bit too much wine. I do not have suicidal tendencies, that thing requires an alert mind and a steady hand.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Some years ago I was driving the A45 into Birmingham (fast dual carriageway). Approaching the Stonebridge roundabout a small van came past me at speed. Next thing I remember seeing is a sports cyclist looping through the air at about 10ft. I came to the roundabout entrnce and saw the guy lying in the road. Many years ago I spent my youth and young adulthood in the St John Ambulance Brigade. The old training kicked in and I was first to get to the guy. He was breathing, just, and every muscle in his very fit body was locked in some sort of spasm. My main concern, however, was the small amount of blood trickling from his ears, sure sign of head injury. On searching for some identity for the Police, I found his wallet with a pair of brand new tickets to some concert at the NEC, this was where the guy had been.
Being interviewed by the Police later, they told me that he was found dead on arrival.
I don't remember, from the inquest, exactly how it all happened, I just have the mental picture of the guy somersaulting through the air. He was fully kitted out in lycra, gloves and a helmet. He was cycling around a large, very busy 5 way intersection that I wouldn't go near on a bike and that has no provision for pedestrians at all.
Two things here. The helmet didn't help, either the speed differential was too great or he landed on his head from a height the helmet was not specced to stand. Secondly, until we have proper segregation of fast moving traffic from cyclists and pedestrians, this kind of thing will continue to happen.
I also have never worn a helmet, still don't, my choice. My average speed is around 10-12mph. I don't fall off my bike, seriously, I don't 'cos I tried all the daft things when I was a kid and I know what not to do. The main thing I have to be concerned about is fast traffic and with the huge speed differential involved a cycle helmet isn't going to help. Motorcycle helmet anyone?

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Perhaps you could indicate where in this thread I say I "hate wearing them". As I explained in my earlier post I prefer not to wear a helmet as do others, that does not make me or anyone else a hater.

You could have said "non-helmet wearers", not so snappy and misses out on the alliteration but at least it would be accurate.

If you read my previous post you'll find that I did not refer to you as juvenile but your use of the word "haters". Perhaps you are quite happy to use "hate" interchangeably with "dislike" but I believe hating something is far more intense and the word should only be used where appropriate and where there is evidence of hate being demonstrated. Your use of "helmet haters" failed on both counts.

wheeler
Hello

Right firstly I didn't say you hate wearing them nor did I quote you as saying that
I mentioned you in a comment that's all the words helmet haters wasn't directed at you it was a conversation between me and Flecc about your reaction not that you specifically wear one
was it not ,
so I suggest you read it again before spitting the dummy out at me yet again

As for the word juvenile
when you said it was juvenile to use the word hate as you were directly commenting on my use of the word and quoting me specifically you were referring to me ,
as I was the user of the word so in your mind I was juvenile for using it.

I wasn't going to reply to your petty bitching about my use of the English language but I thought to myself you must have nothing better to do so I will humour you , I haven't at this particular moment got anything better to do as im having a coffee break :)
so crack on with a reply but I wont be playing as I have a life to lead as I see fit unless of course you have any objections

Also one more thing
from my brief observation of you your only happy when it all suits you ,
Your allowed the freedom to wear your helmet or not but im not allowed to say what I want as freedom of speech
people with double standards make me sick and I don't need it

Bye have a nice life

• :D
Reactions: wheeler

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I also have never worn a helmet, still don't, my choice. My average speed is around 10-12mph. I don't fall off my bike, seriously, I don't 'cos I tried all the daft things when I was a kid and I know what not to do. The main thing I have to be concerned about is fast traffic and with the huge speed differential involved a cycle helmet isn't going to help.
Well put Benjahmin, reinforcing what I've posted above and previously about having accidents being far more under one's control than many understand. It's why we haven't needed helmets.

Those who don't appreciate that or cannot conceive it possible are often the same ones who have the accidents that damage their helmets, accidents they've often caused or contributed to. I know that because they inadvertantly post the proof, even showing the videos.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Well put Benjahmin, reinforcing what I've posted above and previously about having accidents being far more under one's control than many understand. It's why we haven't needed helmets.

Those who don't appreciate that or cannot conceive it possible are often the same ones who have the accidents that damage their helmets, accidents they've often caused or contributed to. I know that because they inadvertantly post the proof, even showing the videos.
Not banging on about the helmet thing...
So...
Perhaps it's in the wording.. my accidents can be attributed to my general carelessness or just making the wrong choice at the time so is not really an accident. Isn't an accident an unforseen sequence of events leading to an... accident?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Fat Rat

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not banging on about the helmet thing...
So...
Perhaps it's in the wording.. my accidents can be attributed to my general carelessness or just making the wrong choice at the time so is not really an accident. Isn't an accident an unforseen sequence of events leading to an... accident?
I agree, but that reinforces what I'm saying. It means there are far fewer true accidents than the statistics suggest, so we are at far less risk of having one,

And as I insist, even that remaining risk of a cycling accident can be substantially reduced to a level comparing with all the other accidents one can have. Those we don't wear any protection for.