The Last Wisper Sneak Preview of the year. 12kg Road Bike

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Not sure what you mean here, in a vacuum they would both fall at the same rate but obviously in air due to wind resistance the brick will fall quicker. Are you saying that if the wind resistance hasn't increased (as was the case in my example) then the extra weight does mean I will travel faster? Or that I will travel at the same speed in both cases?
It's all about wind resistance on high end bikes, that's why if you notice even the cables are all inside the frame. Every part of the bike is considered for it's aerodynamic performance.

The reason carbon is used on high end bikes is as much for stiffness as weight saving, a stiff bike means that the riders efforts all go through to the road rather than being lost distorting the frame and forks. I know this is all very small % increases in performance and if you put me on the best bike in the world and Chris Froome on a Raleigh Chopper, Chris would beat me over any distance. Like golf clubs, tennis rackets and all sporting equipment its all about giving yourself a tiny edge over competitors. And of course they look the mutts' n*ts!

Some people I understand will pay more than £10.00 for a watch, that tells the time as well as any for £10,000 or more. Life is about choices.

IMG_2998.jpg
Brake cables through the forks.

IMG_3005.jpg No cables....

Atb, David

• Agree
Reactions: Artstu and Woosh

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
i really dont see what market you are going to sell these bikes to other than rich ppl.

the 15mph means you wont even be allowed to ride in my local bike club because you will be left for dust and the loops are 35-40 miles long.
When I first started reading this thread back towards the end of April, I thought the same thing. With the 15.5 mph restriction I couldn't really see a market for it. Now however having had a few more hundred miles under my belt on an emountain bike I have changed my mind.

Years ago I used to really enjoy the feeling of flying along on a top quality racing bike. It is a totally different experience from going along on a 25kg+ mountain bike with knobbly tires.

I can maintain around 17 to 18 mph on the emountain bike on flat terrain with no wind against. On a racing bike I should be able to manage 20 mph perhaps more without too much difficulty. The reason I don't use an unrestricted racing bike (still got my old one) is that it would kill me to get up some of the hills in the area I live. Or if I have to ride against a strong wind, I would really struggle.

So having a racing bike that can assist me to get up all the hills in my area and help me when riding against the wind would enable me to use a racing bike very often.

I am not sure if I would buy one, but for a couple of months ago when I really didn't think I would even think about getting one. I am now at the point when I am at least considering it.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
David, West End Cycles in Llandudno Junction is about half an hours drive from me and I think they sell your bikes. Will they be getting any of these from you in the future and if so will they do test rides?

Richardab

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2018
UK
Not sure what you mean here, in a vacuum they would both fall at the same rate but obviously in air due to wind resistance the brick will fall quicker. Are you saying that if the wind resistance hasn't increased (as was the case in my example) then the extra weight does mean I will travel faster? Or that I will travel at the same speed in both cases?
Isn’t it basic schoolboy physics. Feather and rock fall at same rate in a vacuum, implying their weight has nothing to do with how fast they fall in air, its all air resistance. So two identical bikes but different weight would get to the same max speed. If it was the lovely wisper roady it would be quicker as it is much more aero than most other bikes.

I can definately see how the wolverine would sell, think of its 15mph assistance as a hill helper, the rest of the time you are riding a relatively light bike beyond the assistance level. Its not like its much heavier than a typical bike and its extra weight would only really be a penalty on hills when the assitance would be kicking in.

Beautiful looking bike

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Richardab wrote the following :- two identical bikes but different weight would get to the same max speed (he was talking here about free wheeling down hill).

However Woosh wrote this :- on the way down, the heavier bike+rider will have transformed more potential energy into kinetic energy........ the heavier bike will win on the down hill leg.

From what little I remember of physics I think Woosh is correct. The heavier bike will go faster down hill than the lighter one provided wind resistance of both is the same.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Heavier will accelerate faster to the same terminal velocity down hill all other factors being equal. Lighter will accelerate faster from a standing start on the flat and require less energy to climb.

https://www.gribble.org/cycling/power_v_speed.html

A calculator to play with.

Reactions: Richardab and Nev

Richardab

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2018
UK
Heavier will accelerate faster to the same terminal velocity down hill all other factors being equal. Lighter will accelerate faster from a standing start on the flat and require less energy to climb.

https://www.gribble.org/cycling/power_v_speed.html

A calculator to play with.
Ahh that makes sense the heavier bike gets to terminal velocity quicker. And seeing as not many of us ride at terminal velocity! The heavier bike will be quicker at any point up to it
Everydays a schoolday, cheers

Reactions: Nev

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Final Prices

Alloy with Ultegra £4,395
Carbon with Ultegra Di2 £7,599

Just back from a superb Euroblke, the Wisper Wolverine Carbon went down a storm, being proclaimed better than the Pinarello with similar kit at over £10,000. We took orders on the stand, for national distributors and dealers, one shop in the UK took one of each size. Just goes to show the market is there.

All the best, David

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
When I click on link there are three attractive looking women in wet suits, not complaining but I suspect that's not what your are trying to show us is it?
That's rather worrying, no idea why.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Final Prices

Alloy with Ultegra £4,395
Carbon with Ultegra Di2 £7,599
I've never had a carbon framed bike I assume its much stiffer than an alloy is that correct?

I also assume its lighter than an alloy, so what are the weights of the two bikes, is there a big difference between the two?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I was worried because I was only seeing two. Thought my eyesight was going downhill then I widened the screen, all is well, three of them! :) The text is rather spicy: "Rejoin Tom in this activity" What are you up to with young women in wet-suits Tom? :D

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I've never had a carbon framed bike I assume its much stiffer than an alloy is that correct?

I also assume its lighter than an alloy, so what are the weights of the two bikes, is there a big difference between the two?
Hi Nev, the carbon bikes are slightly lighter at 13kg, Alloy 15kg, but as you assume the carbon bike is much stiffer so all the rider's power goes to the road rather than a percentage being lost in frame twist, and of course looks it looks amazing! We did hear the word "Ferrari" used a lot when people were talking about the bike.

All the best, David

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
but as you assume the carbon bike is much stiffer so all the rider's power goes to the road rather than a percentage being lost in frame twist,
to be perfectly accurate, a stiffer frame does not absorb less energy. Energy is absorbed by damping, not flex. A stiffer frame may or may not help the cyclist.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
to be perfectly accurate, a stiffer frame does not absorb less energy. Energy is absorbed by damping, not flex. A stiffer frame may or may not help the cyclist.
Good point, I'll dig up the video of a frame flexing as the rider puts the power down. The power lost in the frame flexing on an aluminium bike is used to power the bike on a stiffer frame. The other benefits of a stiffer frame is more precise handling and of course weight saving.

All the best, David