May 23, 2015
  • Informative
Reactions: Twinkleten

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Well done d8veh, mine was tested for the first time last night. Was out for just over an hour, off road most of the time so light was on full. Using it as a head light to complement my Hope4. Found the beam has a good throw and is not too spotty. There is a bright central area with a not so bright halo without too much contrast between the two. The Hope is a slightly better flood light but this new one could be used by itself or better yet 2 of them, one on the bars and one on the head. Let's see if the batteries last as long as my 8 year old Hope.

Good to hear that Chris, as I was looking forward to your opinion.

If anyone was going to be critical of this light then it was always going to be you and me, what with you running a Hope4 and me running a Fenix BT20.

Neither of us were though. :)

I've now given my Ebay light to my riding buddy, as his wife was fed up of him nicking her lights. It'll be interesting to see it working from a different perspective on another bike.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
I always prefer to have 2 lamps that are each able to allow me to ride quickly off road (mainly railway lines & fire roads) then if one fails I can carry on. I also prefer to have one on my head so I can look where I'm going which isn't necessarily the same way the bars are pointing.
Thanks soundwave.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I also prefer to have one on my head so I can look where I'm going which isn't necessarily the same way the bars are pointing.
For the most part I wouldn't be able to wear a headlamp light. Riding the local terrain I spend a fair bit of the time ducking under tree branches, and probably take a slight helmet knock at least once on every ride. The CamelBak is a bigger inconvenience to that one though, and I have been pulled off the bike twice so far with that one.

The other negative for me with helmet lights is that I often ride with others, and you seemingly spend time turning them on and off, so as not to blind the other riders.

Have sworn a couple of times though for not carrying one in the back pack. Trying to fix a snapped chain whilst holding a hand held torch soon becomes a pain. :(

Twinkleten

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2015
Devon EX8
SW
Following d8veh advice I also bought a tactical light and quite impressed, Does your switch have the threaded (waterproof) connection that the light has?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no but you could easy enough take it apart and solder a cable with one on to it.

or just chop in in half and twist the cables together and use some electric tape round it.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
When using mine ( before a nasty person stole it) I found it to be a pain as it easily disconnected in use so I took it off. Which is why stilI have it ... when I get my new bike and new light I won't be using the switch.
Hope this helps....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

extra 5200ma 5v 1a from that pack 2 18650 cells,for the usb output and it charges and charges the phone at the same time.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you don't wan to cut and solder any wiring slide the threaded feral up out of the way, plug the switch in as required ( slide heat shrink on first) and just heat shrink to cover both joints. It should be enough to stop them from coming apart and be waterproof, Ideal if the green glow at the rear bugs you.

• Informative
Reactions: soundwave

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
4 Panasonic NCR's @ £4 a pop would get you several hrs of use.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
This waterproof case that Soundwave mentioned earlier has the correct screw connector. The case gives you lots of extra features for the battery. You can cut the cells out of the old case or buy some decent cells, like Panasonic, or you can get some from a defunct ebike battery or laptop.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152101697909?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Can the cells be charged still in this case using the usual ac plug charger or need removing every time and use an individual cell charger?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Can the cells be charged still in this case using the usual ac plug charger or need removing every time and use an individual cell charger?
I charged mine in the box with the wall charger that came with the light. It got a bit warm but switched off when batteries were full.

• Informative
Reactions: awol
D

Deleted member 4366

Yes. The case has some sort of BMS in it. AFAICT, it has low voltage and high voltage cut-off. You can plug your charger into the charge socket as normal because the screw thread doesn't interfere with that.

• Informative
Reactions: awol

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i cant see it being any better than the ones from china and there less than half the price off that.

it also has 4 1500ma batts for 6000ma.

the pack you had was 4 3400ma for 13600ma.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
i cant see it being any better than the ones from china and there less than half the price off that.

it also has 4 1500ma batts for 6000ma.

the pack you had was 4 3400ma for 13600ma.
Yes but it cost over £30 just for the batteries and box. Both cameras and all 3 lights were on her bike so all have to be replaced. These are items I had bought over a 9 month period ..

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015