throttle vs higher power setting

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I am mostly using lowish power setting; even 1/5 on the KingMeter 529 gives a little extra something, and 2/5 is certainly useful. We want more on hills, though. I have found it more convenient on short hills to use the throttle rather than changing the power setting, but that made me wonder:
  • Does the throttle have the same effect as temporarily changing the power setting? (Other than that the throttle can provide power even without pedalling)
  • Is there any reason why one or the other is more effective/efficient?
  • Does the speed of pedalling change the amount of assist? Or is it more like an on/off switch: if any pedalling is noticed then power for the current setting is applied?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Does the throttle have the same effect as temporarily changing the power setting? (Other than that the throttle can provide power even without pedalling)
the throttle controls directly the current/power to the wheel.

Is there any reason why one or the other is more effective/efficient?
No but pedaling always helps reduce battery use.

Does the speed of pedalling change the amount of assist? Or is it more like an on/off switch: if any pedalling is noticed then power for the current setting is applied?
Yes, a bit. The assist level sets the amount of max current and keep current. When the pedal sensor starts the motor, the current rises until the max level then reduces to the keep level. It's shape looks like a wave: attack, sustain and decay. When you pedal faster, you change the shape of the wave towards higher current.

Paultr

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2015
  • Does the speed of pedalling change the amount of assist? Or is it more like an on/off switch: if any pedalling is noticed then power for the current setting is applied?
I did a test on this yesterday with my rear hub motor (details in signature).

I set the power level to 5 on the King Meter and adjusted my gears to give near perfect cadence (think that is the terminology !). If I just turned the pedals but at a lower speed that the gearing required I got a speed of 14.1. I then increased the cadence but without providing any power into the pedals whatsoever, the speed increased to 14.9. So the pedelec sensor/controller seems to be sensitive to the speed of pedalling.

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Interesting, thanks. I'll give it a go (probably a few days away as we won't be here).

That difference is possibly more significant than it looks from the two numbers, as it is approaching the maximum assisted speed. I assume there is a slowish cutoff of power as you approach that speed, rather than a cliff-edge drop.