Tongsheng tsdz2 without throttle test before installation help.

hartswood

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 11, 2019
I am about to install a 48v tsdz2 without throttle and want to test before installation. On my workbench I have connected the battery, motor and display, not the speed sensor . The display came on when I switched the battery on, I turned the crank,but got no indication that motor was assisting. There was no sound coming from the tsdz2. How should I test it to ensure it's working, before installing? I know with the throttle version you can just check by pushing the throttle.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's a torque sensor system, torque needs to felt on each side.

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
I am about to install a 48v tsdz2 without throttle and want to test before installation. On my workbench I have connected the battery, motor and display, not the speed sensor . The display came on when I switched the battery on, I turned the crank,but got no indication that motor was assisting. There was no sound coming from the tsdz2. How should I test it to ensure it's working, before installing? I know with the throttle version you can just check by pushing the throttle.
If you have the v-lcd5, you could test the motor with the 'walk assist' function. But you may have to go into menu and initialize its function first. You need to read the v-lcd5 instructions to do this.

hartswood

Sep 11, 2019
That's great thanks, I'll do what I should have done in the first place, read the manual.

hartswood

Sep 11, 2019
Thank you. Managed to get the walk assist to work. Tried moving both cranks to stimulate the torque sensor, limited reaction. I'll stick it on the bike and give it a go.

hartswood

Sep 11, 2019
Bike built and working, done 240 miles in 4 days. Very impressed, trouble is I already want more power and a bigger battery. Currently have 48V 500w motor and 13.2 AH battery. Range has varied between 40 and 60 miles. The other problem is my search for donor bikes on Gumtree has resulted in me buying a Specialized hybrid and Trek 4500 MTB £60, that are just too good to convert. I ended up using a Muddyfox Impel I bought from Tesco for £65 ten years ago. I put a decent set of old wheels on the Muddyfox and it's been great. I now have a fleet of seven bikes in the garage.

• :D
Reactions: dwvl and Jam-jam

Staps

Jan 21, 2020
Just chipping in but the open source firmware update is supposed to give increased power, responsiveness and battery life to the Tongsheng. See review

how to - https://github.com/OpenSource-EBike-firmware/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/How-to-install-the-Flexible-OpenSource-firmware

You can also do stuff like actively upping the peak amp limit ( do not go any higher than 18)

On another note - you need a special spliced cable for connecting to the pc, If your in the UK maybe I could send it to you when im done or something, but that wont be soon as my model seems to have been looked over ( this will not apply to you with the non throttle model)

Thanks

Last edited:

hartswood

Sep 11, 2019
Very kind offer, checked the video out, I'm convinced. Will do more research as the flashing process looks a bit complex.

hartswood

Sep 11, 2019
Sorry keeping all mine. Check eBay and gumtree for the Trek 4500, there are a few for sale. The gear and brake cables don't run under the bottom bracket. It's a very nice light, old school 26 mountain bike with quality components. Took it out through the woods last night, very impressed. May convert it later. I think for longer ebike touring the Muddy Fox Impel upright geometry is more comfortable. Impel's original wheels are poor