Torq Charging problems

MR E

Pedelecer
Dec 6, 2007
West Sussex PO21
Anyone know the current drawn from the Torq Li-Ion battery charger HP8204 as I have put a flat battery on charge , and the green charger led activates in about 15-30 minutes , to indicate charge complete , but the battery is still flat.
Current drawn when charger led is displaying amber is 180ma and when green drops to 120ma.
This is too little current to be charging the battery , and even leaving charger on for 5 + hours , stiil same , try battery in bike- flat:(
Bike LED diagnostics flash 6 times to indicate battery flat.

Voltage at battery connections is 41.6v but I think this will show this voltage if flat anyway as it recovers?

Seems to me to be a faulty charger , but wondered if anyone has experienced anything similar?

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Hi David,

It sounds like the battery is charged, 41.6V is ok, so that might explain why its not charging: could there be a poor contact between battery and bike e.g. oxidised layer on contacts, or a loose connection elsewhere? That might account for the 'flat battery' diagnostic on the bike - not enough charge is getting through.

I recall a similar thread recently where battery was suspected but judicious removal of oxide layer from the battery contacts on the bike solved the problem. :)

EDIT: Here's the thread, though it doesn't sound the same as your situation.

Hope that helps,

Stuart.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There were a batch of faulty HP eZee chargers in late 2007, the problem apparently being a faulty zener diode. A number of chargers were replaced as a result.

MR E

Pedelecer
Dec 6, 2007
West Sussex PO21
Thanks Stuart /Flecc

Yes I did remember this note and did clean the contacts as a result , but just a quick wipe over as they did not appear to be that dirty or oxidised.

However , I will try a bit of emery cloth on these battery contacts and see if this is the case.

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Using a Mains Power Monitor for the charger, the 240v AC mains shows 0.63 amps when the charger is on orange, dropping to nearly nil when the green light comes on to show completion.

Whenever I put the battery on charge, I watch to see the amperage climb to this figure at the start of charging.

In the early days before checking the current, there were occasions when the charger would appear to start, but did not deliver current. However, it was only neccessary to switch the charger off then on again to get the charge cycle active again.

I think you have a duff charger.

James

MR E

Pedelecer
Dec 6, 2007
West Sussex PO21
Yes I think the charger is suspect as I have had to charge the battery for at least 12 hours in the short time that I have had the bike , and only started using an energy monitor to verify my suspicions.

Even resetting the charger makes no difference , so I will contact cyclepoint and see if they can check it out against a good one .

I am not sure about warranty on chargers , but there is a 6 month warranty on batteries .:confused:

I still need to check the battery contacts on the base , but my guess is a faulty charger as Flecc mentioned there were a faulty batch .
Investigation continues!

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Yes I think the charger is suspect as I have had to charge the battery for at least 12 hours in the short time that I have had the bike , and only started using an energy monitor to verify my suspicions.

Even resetting the charger makes no difference , so I will contact cyclepoint and see if they can check it out against a good one .

I am not sure about warranty on chargers , but there is a 6 month warranty on batteries .:confused:

I still need to check the battery contacts on the base , but my guess is a faulty charger as Flecc mentioned there were a faulty batch .
Investigation continues!
David
One other thing worth checking is the 3 pins in the charger plug. On one occasion, I must have pushed the plug a bit hard when the pins weren't perfectly lined up with the holes in the socket.

I discovered that one of the pins in the plug had got pushed back, and wasn't reaching the socket in the battery.

A pair of long nosed pliers was all it needed to pull the pin back into position (with the charger turned off, of course)

James

MR E

Pedelecer
Dec 6, 2007
West Sussex PO21
Thanks James- I checked this and the pins are all firmly placed.
I have cleaned up the battery contacts again , but they were clean.

However , put battery in again and the diagnostic leds flash 6 times to indicate flat battery , and found that the red led on the battery meter is quite faint now.
Also the rear tail light comes on but only dim , and the front headlight does not come on at all , so to me that indicates a totally flat battery and almost proves connections are ok.
Still getting 40+ volts from the battery though , and even with the rear light on , there is no volts drop- but would not expect much anyway.
Think I may get this on a flat li-battery with no significant load , so next stop is to get a replacement charger.:(
or I will contact cyclepoint for there dignostics.

Charlie

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2007
Hi Mr E.,
Probably a bit too far, but I have a Torq in East Grinstead, West Sussex. If you needed to test your battery or charger on a different bike/battery, you're more than welcome to.

Charlie.

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
Thanks James- I checked this and the pins are all firmly placed.
I have cleaned up the battery contacts again , but they were clean.

However , put battery in again and the diagnostic leds flash 6 times to indicate flat battery , and found that the red led on the battery meter is quite faint now.
Also the rear tail light comes on but only dim , and the front headlight does not come on at all , so to me that indicates a totally flat battery and almost proves connections are ok.
Still getting 40+ volts from the battery though , and even with the rear light on , there is no volts drop- but would not expect much anyway.
Think I may get this on a flat li-battery with no significant load , so next stop is to get a replacement charger.:(
or I will contact cyclepoint for there dignostics.
As the battery is rated at 37V, if it is giving out 40V when connected to the rear light then the battery cannot be the reason for a dim light, there must be some voltage drop between the battery and the light.

Can you measure the battery voltage when you try to load it further by using the motor? If the battery were flat then you would expect a big voltage drop when you do this, down perhaps to the low voltage cut-out.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Chargers are subject to the minimum UK legal warranty of 12 months from date of purchase. Batteries escape this law because they are classed as consumables.

MR E

Pedelecer
Dec 6, 2007
West Sussex PO21
Hi Mr E.,
Probably a bit too far, but I have a Torq in East Grinstead, West Sussex. If you needed to test your battery or charger on a different bike/battery, you're more than welcome to.

Charlie.
Thanks for your offer of help Charlie , but East Grinstead is quite a way from me.
I will try to test the volts drop at the weekend but as the voltage is so low , the motor will not kick in, but I will give it a go.
Meanwhile I am sending the charger back to cyclepoint for a test.
Flecc-I will quote this warranty period as a 6 month warranty on the charger was mentioned and new ones are £95:mad:

I think I should have posted this query on the battery FAQ section:confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think I should have posted this query on the battery FAQ section:confused:
No, this main section is correct for all queries. Most other forum sections like FAQ and Technical are for permanent items.