Trek powerfly 9 FS or Levo FSR comp - what would you go for?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0451.JPG

i get about 30 miles on the flat and that thing is useless ;)

Richard-Ebike

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
sheffield
Guess a lot can come down to how much the user puts in . if the other rider was fitter and he had the power lower than turbo and the Levo was in turbo all the time as it hard to change with no control. This would end in more power used all the time

Just have to see how my test day goes.

Just options mmmmm Levo I could get soon the other is a pre order :-(

• Informative
Reactions: Tom Rae

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
This is what I dont want to happen
Check out 8:50 on

Tho I am only guessing but the other biker (camera man) was changing the power level while on the ride and the other was on turbo all the time.

But this is my mmmmm do the other system give longer rides than the levo ?
To be fair, neither of them were riding for planned efficiency, which is the key to ride length. It is something that you just learn as you become accustomed to the bike, irrelevant of make.

Or certainly that is how I try to ride.

I was thinking about my mates new Levo whilst out on last nights ride, and comparing how it wouldn't have performed overly well for a considerable part of the ride. Last nights ride was a very tight technical ride through woodlands that didn't have any trails other than those made by animals.
To conserve power, I was riding as much as possible in eco and tour, but because of the nature of the ride and the endless ditches to cross, banks to climb, fallen trees and logs to hop over, and roots to traverse, I was constantly switching into sport mode, with a couple of turbo mode thrown in for good measure. Looking down to fumble for a power setting just wouldn't have happened, and certainly not without either stopping or falling off.
As you said in your pm, there is an aftermarket control button that can be purchased separately, but should you really need to be doing that on what is an already expensive bike. Without that control button, last nights ride using a Levo, would have needed to have been tackled in a high power setting, with the risk of unnecessary battery usage.

This issue was one that I quickly noted on my brief test ride, well that and power characteristics that I didn't like, and both were enough to put me off buying one, and my mind didn't change, and even with the vast discount on offer I couldn't be tempted.
The issues that I found, won't be an issue for my mate though, as we both prefer different riding disciplines. He just wants his bike for an uplift for winter DH training, so isn't really worried about power settings, and will just have it maxed out all of the time.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: chris130256

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
depends where you buy them from but rrp is £550 for a 400w and 700 for a 500w bosch.

a 500w Yamaha batt is £850 rrp from ebike shop and the levo at 800 euro but cant find any for sale?

also the EU levo is 20mph so a batt from a EU supplier would allow more speed ?

no that is software limited for the motor on the bike when it is made like bosch

http://www.pro-cycling-golla.de/Motor_und_Zubehoer/36V_350W_45_km_h_artikel58050e4ba1561.html

http://www.pro-cycling-golla.de/Motor_und_Zubehoer/36V_250W_artikel57e4ceb088456.html

there both the same motor just different speeds of cut off via software

Last edited:

Richard-Ebike

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
sheffield
was just thinking with what you said
"looks like the cpu for the bike is in the battery ? where is the usb input to programme it ?"

but its not like the speed would be a problem only on flat parts and 15 plenty unless on the normal road

but expensive parts no matter what you go with

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my 400w bosch batt is now 3 years old and still can get 20 miles out of it and have a dongle fitted to remove the speed limit and no problems with either batt or motor.

i did buy a new 500w batt for 700 quid only to find the shop left the invoice on the box and they paid 480 quid for it, i was not impressed.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0383.JPG

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
That is typical markup for business, they are not a charity.

There is talk of 700whr batteries coming out in 2017-2018. Due to different battery technology they should handle 2-3 times more cycles than current ones. It will be interesting to see what happens to price of current 400-500whr batteries when these hit market.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
That is typical markup for business, they are not a charity.

what 220 quid just to order it from magura? if i knew that id reg a company and get my own account lol

I Am Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2016
West Yorkshire
As you said in your pm, there is an aftermarket control button that can be purchased separately, but should you really need to be doing that on what is an already expensive bike. Without that control button, last nights ride using a Levo, would have needed to have been tackled in a high power setting, with the risk of unnecessary battery usage.
The wireless remote is only £45. About the same as a set of pedals. Not much considering the overall cost and that the Levo's seem to be priced quite competitively.

Will try using without but will buy if I find reaching the buttons on battery awkward. Maybe don't need to change quite so much as there are only 3 assist levels which you can tune to your liking. If I feel the need can use my phone as a cycle computer / nav system and stick in bag when the going gets rough.

Think having the computer built into the battery is an interesting design. Seems less vulnerable to breakages, water and wiring faults. I suspect there maybe some processor built into the Bosch and Yamaha battery's anyhow to manage charging and battery diagnostics. A basic cpu with wireless comms isn't going to add more than £20 to the manufacturing cost. With tax they are all going to end up costing £600+ for a replacement anyway. Looks like they made the battery and mounting very solid, got to say the Bosch battery mounting didn't feel all that solid to me in the showroom.

Last edited:

Richard-Ebike

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
sheffield
The wireless remote is only £45. About the same as a set of pedals. Not much considering the overall cost and that the Levo's seem to be priced quite competitively.

Will try using without but will buy if I find reaching the buttons on battery awkward. Maybe don't need to change quite so much as there are only 3 assist levels which you can tune to your liking. If I feel the need can use my phone as a cycle computer / nav system and stick in bag when the going gets rough.

Think having the computer built into the battery is an interesting design. Seems less vulnerable to breakages, water and wiring faults. I suspect there maybe some processor built into the Bosch and Yamaha battery's anyhow to manage charging and battery diagnostics. A basic cpu with wireless comms isn't going to add more than £20 to the manufacturing cost. With tax they are all going to end up costing £600+ for a replacement anyway. Looks like they made the battery and mounting very solid, got to say the Bosch battery mounting didn't feel all that solid to me in the showroom.

When are you getting the Levo ?
And what model ?

I Am Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2016
West Yorkshire
When are you getting the Levo ?
And what model ?
Getting a bit ahead of my self, currently considering:
  • Levo FSR £3,500
  • Levo FSR Comp £4,000
  • Trek Powerfly 8 FS £3,900
  • Trek Powerfly 7 FS £3,500
  • Cube 140 HPA Race 500 £3,699
Going to look at the specialized bikes on Monday, hopefully can get a quick demo ride. Budget is £3500 - £4000 but really need some cash left over for accessories.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
got to say the Bosch battery mounting didn't feel all that solid to me in the showroom.
Not something that I have ever had cause to be concerned about, but in respect of the Levo, the battery was another reason for my not wanting to own one.

Firstly, I'm not struck on requiring a hex key to remove the battery, along with having to pull out a bolt. Both are far too much fiddling around when wanting to swap batteries whilst out on a long ride, and things are muddy and cold. You might require a key to remove a Bosch battery from a bike, but it is a simple enough operation. A hex key is easier, less hassle and cheaper to replace than a key though.
The Levo battery would also be easier to steal when parked up.

Mud is the biggest issue of all with the battery. Being underslung It takes the full hit of all crud and water that is thrown up from the front tyre, and is going to be very vulnerable to damage from stone and debris. Hardly a good design feature on any eMTB, and I'd certainly not fancy having to remove and store a muddy battery mid ride when swapping. I don't like the Oxygen sCross, but at least their design of integrated battery is the right side of the frame, so as not to get covered in crud, or risk of damage by stone etc.
Carrying a spare battery leads to another issue altogether, as the length of the battery makes carrying it any form of pack pack/hydration pack, probably nearly impossible to do.

The almost underslung charging point is also in a poor position in respect of catching the brunt of mud and water. Having a cover protect it, still doesn't make it a good place to have put it.

The Levo's are nice looking bikes, but for me that is where it ends.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: chris130256

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Being able to quickly remove battery is useful feature.
1) lighten bike for carrying or placing on bike rack.
2) security, without battery the bikes not worth much.
3) charging, especially useful at pub or cafe. Great way to extend battery range.
4) interchange between bikes.

Related Articles

Advertisers