Trek powerfly 9 FS or Levo FSR comp - what would you go for?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its why it goes up and down ;)

Reactions: EddiePJ

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
even riding round on the roads i use mine all of the time id miss it if it was not there tbh.
That was add benefit I discovered, great at intersections.

If you buy good FS for MTB then a dropper is must, wouldn't be without now. Don't drop you seat on steep descent and your family jewels are at risk.

• Agree

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Looks like a dropper to me despite EddiePJ saying it could not be fitted? The original thread seems to have been deleted, quelle surprise :)

Actually I deleted the post the moment after adding it, when I realised that it could. No other reply had been added at that stage. :rolleyes:

It depends on what off-roading you want to do? Downhill yes but I have never used one cross country or trail riding.
Then you are the one that is missing out.

even riding round on the roads i use mine all of the time id miss it if it was not there tbh.
I use mine when riding on the road as well.

its why it goes up and down ;)
Another good one here.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I haven't seen one, but I guess that you could use a quick release seat post collar to lower and raise it manually. It would be a bit drawn out though doing it.

The saddle also makes a huge difference to comfort. The two KTM's had identical saddles, one was really good and the other not.
Saddles are very much a personal choice, but I really love the Charge Spoon in respect of value for money, but I am currently trying Ragley Tracker on the hard tail, which for me, felt instantly comfortable and my best saddle to date.
The biggest difference for me though, is time spent on the saddle. If I ride everyday or every other day as I try to, I don't suffer discomfort, but leave it for a week or so and I feel it for the following few rides again.

earthmover

Pedelecer
Aug 11, 2016
Cheshire
Some interesting points raised, and not wanting to sound too defensive of my choice of bike, here are some of my findings:
I never thought of needing to take a spare battery with me, therefore the idea of mid ride battery changes never entered my head, therefore the problem of having to undo the bolt didn't occur to me. In my ownership of this bike (7 months) I have only taken the battery off once, for a software upgrade.
The charge port position does catch all the crud, but up to press it hasn't entered the charge port or caused any problems to me when I want to charge the bike, which is every three rides on average.
The battery does catch all the crud off the front wheel, but the outer casing is tough plastic, and the lower part has a built in bash guard. This hasn't been an issue for me because of the reasons mentioned above.
Yes, the battery could be undone and taken by a scrote with an Allen key, but so could most parts of the bike. I am just a tiny bit paranoid about that, now it has been brought to my attention. :D
Mark

Reactions: Tom Rae

I Am Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2016
West Yorkshire
Check out Cube and Lapierre if there are any nearby. I like ride on my Cube Stereo 140 HPA race 500 with good components.
Just had a look at a Cube Stereo 160 HPA Race 500. Seems to be a really good spec for £3500, plus the shop seems keen to throw in a few freebies.

Pro's:
  • Yari fork & Fox DPS rear.
  • 160mm travel, i guess more is better?
  • New Purion display
  • Dropper seat post
  • Good gear ratio: 16T chainring, 11 x 11-46T cassette
  • Battery mount semi sunk into down-tube, feels much more solid than on the Scott.
  • Local shop if i have any problems.
Con's
  • Only 2.35" tires, do plus sized make much difference?
  • Looks like bottom triangle will trap mud where the shock, battery and frame struts come together.
  • Can't tune performance like you can on the Levo.
  • Doesn't look as slick as the Levo. Not sure about the colour either.
Not sure why it's cheaper than the 140 HPA race 500, is the Fox 34 that much better than the Yari?

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
fox forks are not cheap esp the 2017 ones as you can see but the yari should be fine on the bike or would be over 4k imoif it had fox forks.

braylew

Pedelecer
Jan 28, 2015
Some interesting points raised, and not wanting to sound too defensive of my choice of bike, here are some of my findings:
I never thought of needing to take a spare battery with me, therefore the idea of mid ride battery changes never entered my head, therefore the problem of having to undo the bolt didn't occur to me. In my ownership of this bike (7 months) I have only taken the battery off once, for a software upgrade.
The charge port position does catch all the crud, but up to press it hasn't entered the charge port or caused any problems to me when I want to charge the bike, which is every three rides on average.
The battery does catch all the crud off the front wheel, but the outer casing is tough plastic, and the lower part has a built in bash guard. This hasn't been an issue for me because of the reasons mentioned above.
Yes, the battery could be undone and taken by a scrote with an Allen key, but so could most parts of the bike. I am just a tiny bit paranoid about that, now it has been brought to my attention. :D
Mark
I could take a bosch battery off with a screwdriver twice as quick as I could undo my specialized battery plus if you leave a ebike somewhere they will probably take the lot.

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Wh
Just had a look at a Cube Stereo 160 HPA Race 500. Seems to be a really good spec for £3500, plus the shop seems keen to throw in a few freebies.

Pro's:
  • Yari fork & Fox DPS rear.
  • 160mm travel, i guess more is better?
  • New Purion display
  • Dropper seat post
  • Good gear ratio: 16T chainring, 11 x 11-46T cassette
  • Battery mount semi sunk into down-tube, feels much more solid than on the Scott.
  • Local shop if i have any problems.
Con's
  • Only 2.35" tires, do plus sized make much difference?
  • Looks like bottom triangle will trap mud where the shock, battery and frame struts come together.
  • Can't tune performance like you can on the Levo.
  • Doesn't look as slick as the Levo. Not sure about the colour either.
Not sure why it's cheaper than the 140 HPA race 500, is the Fox 34 that much better than the Yari?
Nice looking bike
Why can't you tune it?

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
My only issue with Cube is their plastic engine cover. Next to no clearance between chain and cover, in my case it rubs, still working with shop/distributor to resolve it. Build up of mud in there may be issue along with cleaning.
I plan to remove chainring guard at some stage. Luckily my regular riding doesn't involve mud baths (see Eddie bike pictures).

I Am Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2016
West Yorkshire
My only issue with Cube is their plastic engine cover. Next to no clearance between chain and cover, in my case it rubs, still working with shop/distributor to resolve it. Build up of mud in there may be issue along with cleaning.
I plan to remove chainring guard at some stage. Luckily my regular riding doesn't involve mud baths (see Eddie bike pictures).
Looks like this may be an issue with all the Bosch bikes due to the small chaining and guard. Some options for tweaking the sprocket and guard setup to try, if that fails there is always scraping off the excess mud with a stick. No bikes going to be perfect, my old 27 speed doesn't like too much mud on the gears either.

Going to look at the Levo FSR on Monday, then I need to stop dithering and just get something or will end up missing the whole season (again).

Edit: There is an annual 30 mile (800+ metre) mountain bike event right on my doorstep. Wanted to try it a few years back but always thought it would be too much for me. They accept ebikes so maybe this will be the year.....

Last edited:

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Looks like this may be an issue with all the Bosch bikes due to the small chaining and guard. Some options for tweaking the sprocket and guard setup to try, if that fails there is always scraping off the excess mud with a stick. No bikes going to be perfect, my old 27 speed doesn't like too much mud on the gears either.

Going to look at the Levo FSR on Monday, then I need to stop dithering and just get something or will end up missing the whole season (again).

Edit: There is an annual 30 mile (800+ metre) mountain bike event right on my doorstep. Wanted to try it a few years back but always thought it would be too much for me. They accept ebikes so maybe this will be the year.....
You will be happy with either drive system (Bosch or brose). Most importantly get frame that fits you, do a 2-3 hour test ride.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
You will be happy with either drive system (Bosch or brose). Most importantly get bike that fits you, do a 2-3 hour test ride.

• Agree

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Well if nothing, this forum is diverse in terms of opinions. It just shows we all like different things. Some think droppers are essential where others don't.
Back to the point, ride both bikes if you can and choose the one you like. Always good to get advise though.
On a personal level from whats been mentioned, i don't think droppers are essential in UK, and i have one as bike came with it. Love my charge spoon saddle, and i've had £150+ saddles thats are not as good and finally i love my Bosch system.

Oh, my bike also has dongle / chip and i now would not be happy with a bike that didn't. i think 30mph plus is enough, but was tempted by a new chip taking it to 48mph.

Reactions: Tom Rae

Related Articles

Advertisers