Trek powerfly 9 FS or Levo FSR comp - what would you go for?

I Am Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2016
West Yorkshire
Firstly, I'm not struck on requiring a hex key to remove the battery, along with having to pull out a bolt. Both are far too much fiddling around when wanting to swap batteries whilst out on a long ride, and things are muddy and cold. You might require a key to remove a Bosch battery from a bike, but it is a simple enough operation. A hex key is easier, less hassle and cheaper to replace than a key though.
The Levo battery would also be easier to steal when parked up.

The almost underslung charging point is also in a poor position in respect of catching the brunt of mud and water. Having a cover protect it, still doesn't make it a good place to have put it.
Fair point. But i'm not planning on any mid ride battery swaps and will probably charge battery on the bike so not such an issue for me.

Maybe not an ideal location for the magnetic charging port but looks pretty rugged to me. https://electricbikereview.com/wp-content/assets/2015/08/specialized-s-works-turbo-levo-fsr-6fattie-magnetic-charging-port.jpg

Edit: Looking at that picture does the battery cover double up as the power connector to the bike or does it have a second connector?

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Trevormonty.

You can do all that with a Bosch powered bike. My statement was that you don't require a key to remove the battery from a Levo, and that if the bike was left unattended, then someone could simply unscrew it and walk away with it. Requiring a key for removal, is at least a deterrent.

I Am Jon.

That highlights my point. Look at the dust that surrounds the charging point. Imagine the dust being swapped for mud and water. It would soon become a mess. That is a really poor position for a charging point.

If you look at the photo that you have shown, then compare it to this of just a normal winter ride in the UK, it doesn't take much to see that the Bosch charging point position highlighted with the red arrow, is far better and weirdly totally free of mud. Also whilst the Bosch battery has mud on it, the frame is plastered, and that would be the state of Levo battery.

Thinking about it, and in respect of the battery position, I could show hundreds of examples that show the Levo battery position to be in a less than ideal position when compared to an internally mounted set up.

Last edited:

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
EddiePJ, on the Bosch bike I trialled, after a wet ride there was a pool of water at the base of the battery where the terminals are, hardly ideal either? The Levo fitting looks to have double O rings where it fits in so should remain dry and I think I am correct in saying that it is manufactured to IP 59 standard.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
It does suffer from water ingress, as the photo below shows, but I have now ridden close to ten thousand miles using Bosch powered bikes, and whilst I have had motor issues, I have yet to have had any issue from water.

I'd still take a nice clean power point any day of the week, over a muddy crudded one, especially if in the case of Trevormonty, that you are going to charge the battery mid ride.

Last edited:

I Am Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2016
West Yorkshire
I Am Jon.

If you look at the photo that you have shown, then compare it to this of just a normal winter ride in the UK, it doesn't take much to see that the Bosch charging point position highlighted with the red arrow, is far better and weirdly totally free of mud. Also whilst the Bosch battery has mud on it, the frame is plastered, and that would be the state of Levo battery.

Good to know how much abuse an ebike can cope with. But don't see that the Levo is that much more vulnerable, at least it's using a sealed plug for the connection. The showroom Scott I looked at still had wet battery connectors from a recent outing when i pulled the battery out. I always carry a load of kitchen paper to wipe the excess mud off moving parts anyhow.

Below is your picture I believe:

Edit: Got to say 12 months ago Bosch CX would of been my clear first choice. But now the Brose bikes are more widely available they look to be a strong contender. Quite fancy the new Yamaha PW X Haibikes as well but they seem a bit expensive.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The Levo plug is in the direct firing line of every bit of mud going. Not something that I want, but each to their own.

I won't ever be buying a Specialized/Bulls/ Rotwild, so it isn't anything that I'll ever have to think about, and will leave it there. :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

worst place ever to put a batt like the levo will just get bombarded buy stones of road.

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
It does suffer from water ingress, as the photo below shows, but I have now ridden close to ten thousand miles using Bosch powered bikes, and whilst I have had motor issues, I have yet to have had any issue from water. As you say, each to their own........

I'd still take a nice clean power point any day of the week, over a muddy crudded one, especially if in the case of Trevormonty, that you are going to charge the battery mid ride.
I have not been a member long but are there any Levo issues reported from water ingress? The Bosch motor I trialled also had groaning bearings which, I was told by the dealer, was due to water ingress!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
Looks like a dropper to me despite EddiePJ saying it could not be fitted? The original thread seems to have been deleted, quelle surprise :)

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you want a dropper post if off road ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
eddie said that and bought 2 for his bikes i doubt he would fit a normal one ;)

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
SW, each to their own :) I don't think I will be hanging on every word of EddiePJ!

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
even riding round on the roads i use mine all of the time id miss it if it was not there tbh.

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my legs are to bent when it is down ;)

Related Articles

Advertisers