TSDZ2 controller replacement

Peterdc

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 12, 2021
Hi,
I have a TSDZ2 36v 250w (vlcd5, 8 pin) kit installed. I was thinking of replacing it with a 36v 500w (I have 36v batteries) but it occured to me I could just replace the controller with a 36v 500w one.
Is that going to work? Would that make my 250w a 500w?
I don't want to go down the flashing route.
I'd also be interested to know if anyone's replaced the controller and how much of a pain it is.
Thanks in advance for any help.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Do not waste your cash the minimal performance difference is not worth it the only change is the battery range but its a quick swap
The bbs02 on the other hand at 36 v and marked as 500 watts uses 25 amps the Tsdz2 will not even max at 15 amps nearer 10-12 amps

Peterdc

Jan 12, 2021
Do not waste your cash the minimal performance difference is not worth it the only change is the battery range but its a quick swap
The bbs02 on the other hand at 36 v and marked as 500 watts uses 25 amps the Tsdz2 will not even max at 15 amps nearer 10-12 amps
Thanks, Peter. You mean worse battery range or better? I’m not sure I’d do it anyway.
I did consider the bbs02 but torque sensing wins it for me.

Peterdc

Jan 12, 2021
This is more out of curiosity now... I thought I might actually try it because a controller is under £40, shipped to UK.
But... I asked a few sellers on Ali Express if a 36v 500w controller will work on a 36v 250w motor. As I understood it, all the 36v motors are the same, it's just the controller firmware that's different, which is why you can change it with the open-source firmware hack. Some said the controller will work fine, and some said no it won't work because the motors are different. I'm not sure if the ones who said no are in fact angling to get me to buy the full kit (which I won't) or if they are in fact correct. I'm confused again.
Even though the difference might be negligable I'd like to try it as it's a lot cheaper than I thought it would be.
Curiosity, innit?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The controller will work just make sure it is the 8 pin and for the vlcd5 but it will be more than £40 with the vat and duty and courier handling charges added now

Peterdc

Jan 12, 2021
Ok thanks, Peter. If it turns out to be affordable I'll give it a go. Just to find out, really.