Tucano Deluxe Bottom Bracket

Uningles

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 24, 2010
Spain
Hi. I have a Tucano Deluxe 36v folding bike on which the standard caged bearings /axle/cup bottom bracket arrangement is giving me trouble.

Mainly, the whole arrangement tends to work loose and the bearings get chewed-up. Doesn't seem to matter how many times I take it apart and put it together, with different tensions on the adjusters/lock nuts. Strangely, my wife's bike (same model) has not given her any trouble (yet), although it may still be early days yet. We have only had them about two months.

I have several options to service this.

Firstly, I could just let the supplier sort out the problem. However, my confidence in the whole arrangement is already at a low and I would like to improve on the situation. Also, I enjoy a little mechanical tinkering - treating it as a learning experience for future maintenance.

Secondly, I could just simply replace the chewed-up caged bearings (9 ball bearings in a flimsy cage) myself. I don't like this option since the previous cage was really badly chewed-up and there were bits of metal everywhere inside the BB.

Thirdly, I could lose the bearing cages and just fit loose bearings. In this case I would fit 12 x 6 mm ball bearings in each side/cup, since without the bearing cage there is more room. I have some grade 10 ball bearings that I have procured for this purpose. This is quite a tempting option and is probably my fallback.

Finally, I could replace the axle/cup/ball bearing system with a cartridge bottom bracket. Because the bike has a controller box mounted behind the BB and a non-standard (normal bike), wider, BB shell, I am obviously limited in choice and need extra long BB cartridges. However, this is my preferred option.

So far, I have found this: 153mm Cartridge Bottom Bracket - a 153 mm cartridge unit which I have managed to fit, but there are two problems. Firstly, the shell is not quite long enough. It could do with being another 5 to 10 mm so that the end retainer does not have to be screwed right inside the BB shell. The Tucano Deluxe bottom bracket width is 83 mm, measured from the left outside of the frame to the right outside of the frame. Secondly, the axle is not quite right on two counts. It is shorter than the original axle, thus altering the chainline - although to be honest the chainline looks passable to my inexperienced eyes. I rode 10 km with it and it seemed not to give any trouble.

With the alternative cartridge system, the chain sits straight on the 2nd gear cog (out of 6), instead of the 3rd gear cog with the original scheme. The original axle is a whopping 165 mm long excluding the threads on which the crank nuts bolt into, which makes the cartridge solution 12 mm shorter overall.

The second count is that the left/non-drive side of the axle is the longer side (by about 5 mm), rather than the chain/drive side. I am guessing that this BB cartridge was intended for a chain drive on the left side of the bike. Does this sound feasible? And, of course, I cannot reverse the cartridge due to the thread directions - although I have thought about switching the whole drive train from the right side to the left. I haven't quite wrapped my head around whether this will cause problems with motor direction as well as with other drive components. Anyone know of the top of their heads?

Anyway, to cut a long story short, my questions are; does anyone know of any longer (than 153mm) BB cartridge units that are available out there that might be suitable for me (say 160-165 mm), or can anyone offer any useful advice or experience to help me with my problem?

I have some photos:

The original axle/cup/ball bearing bottom bracket arrangement, less the caged bearings and the adjuster cup lock nut (which is the same as the one seen on the right hand side of this picture).

This is what happened to the bearing cages.

The eclipsebikes cartridge fitted to the Tucano Deluxe BB frame (non chain/drive side). The retaining ring needs to be screwed in more than it should be in order for the 68/153 mm cartridge to fit. This is a Euro sytle thread (1.37" x 27T). The part/cartridge is made by a Tiawanese company and can be seen here FIRST Components although they don't list the 68/153 mm length version of the F-2001E as it is dubbed.

The chain line with the cartridge fitted. 6 gear cog, chain shown in 6th gear. Chain sits true somewhere between 5th and 4th gear cogs. With the original arrangement it sits true on the 3rd cog.

Footnote: I have currently reassembled the original BB assembly, using 12 x 6 mm loose ball bearings. The play in the cranks does not feel too bad, but the rotation is nowhere near as smooth as with the cartridge unit and I suspect that I will be tinkering with this every other week until I find a better solution. I have sent an inquiry to the firm in Taiwan that make the 68/153 mm BB cartridge in the hope that they have longer parts, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I had the same problem and questions with my Wisper BB, I gave it up as a dead end and put up with a few chewed bearing cages as servicing it was probably easier and cheaper than converting it. Good luck sorting that out.

Uningles

May 24, 2010
Spain
I had the same problem and questions with my Wisper BB, I gave it up as a dead end and put up with a few chewed bearing cages as servicing it was probably easier and cheaper than converting it. Good luck sorting that out.
Interesting that this issue seems to apply elsewhere. I don't understand how cartridge units that fit ebikes aren't more widespread these days.

Somehow I am going to find a way around this problem, even if it means buying some standalone sealed bearings that fit in the traditional cups and around the axle and gluing these into the cups, or something.

I have no experience with external cups and whether these could be used with the existing axle, somehow. Perhaps someone can chip in here please?

sideways

May 27, 2010
Hi i had exactly same problem with powacycle salisbury, cage bearings lasted two weeks before starting creaking leading to cage failure,i just kept replacing them, i solved it permanently by selling the bike.

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Given the number of problems I have had with sand in my BB, I was looking for a suitable sealed BB but couldn't find one to fit. In the end I tried putting a couple of rubber o-rings on each side of the standard BB, with plenty of grease - the first o-ring slips inside, the second stays on the outside.

Touch wood - so far I haven't had to do any maintenance on the BB for a good few months! Previously I was rebuilding every 4 weeks or so with, at a minimum, the bearings being replaced on one side each time.

I also use thread lock when rebuilding as it stops things coming loose.

As an aside I used thread lock on the spokes this time round as I was fed up having to re-tension so often - might not be the done thing but no problems so far! (no pinging, no wobbles, no snapped spokes).

Last edited:

Daftlad

Feb 26, 2016
Hi uningles
I have a similar problem.
Asked the question a while ago
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/bottom-bracket.23442/
I replaced the ball bearings with cages and it kept loosening, so took it to bits again and balls and cages and cups seem OK but the Axel is really wearing with swarf.
My theory is that the cages initially fell to bits because everything was a bit loose. Once I rebuilt it it was the Axel that became the real problem, my theory is that they are one offs and the quality control isn't there during manufacturing, once they wear through the case hardening of the Axel the steel underneath is rubbish and just keeps wearing.
My Axel is 150mm by long by 68mm but completely symmetrical, the replacement you got, was it symmetrical or more on one side than the other?
I would really like to find a quality sealed unit but after hours trawling the net to find anything that might do the job I am starting to give up.....

Uningles

May 24, 2010
Spain
Hi daftlad. Unfortunately, the replacement sealed unit I got is not symmetrical, in fact it is longer on the wrong side (the non chain drive side) than on the other.

Since I couldn't find a perfect solution, I settled on using it anyway and so far it has been great with quite a few kms of hard riding behind it.

Much better than the original factory solution and still smooth after all this time.

Daftlad

Feb 26, 2016
Good to hear it works.
I am off to France in a few weeks and depending on the clearances between the cranks and battery I will order one and see if it works.
If the clearances are tight then probably no point.
Last resort is to transfer all the leccy components onto a normal bike frame and put the battery into the pannier?!!

Daftlad

Feb 26, 2016
Hi again Uningles
Can you give me an idea of how unsymmetrical it is? I realise it will be hard to measure with it being fitted but some idea on how much Axel sticks out each side would be useful.
Cheers

Uningles

May 24, 2010
Spain
I make it something like this ... (the chain side is the shorter side. It would have been perfect if it was the other way around. I don't understand which design would call for it otherwise)

Daftlad

Feb 26, 2016
I make it something like this ... (the chain side is the shorter side. It would have been perfect if it was the other way around. I don't understand which design would call for it otherwise)

That looks like it will do
The lip would be 7mm (the difference between 68mm and your measured 75mm), add that to the 33 would give 40 mm so the difference is only 5mm. It is 3mm longer than the one I took off so one side should be spot on and the other a bit long, bit long will work so at the price worth ordering and having a go.
Or am a talking rubbish?

Thanks for the pic :)

Daftlad

Feb 26, 2016
Well it worked, sort of,
It turns out the threads on the bottom bracket were back to front! So the reverse thread was on the wrong side and the positive thread was also on the wrong side, very confusing!
Anyway, managed to knock the sealed bearings out so the long side was on the right and all went back together. :)
Now we have a problem with the electrics, oh hum. Maybe time to get a better one, it has lasted 4years being used everyday for 6months a year.
Cheers for your help Uningles.