tuning my bike for more speed

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Hi Dave

The reason why I get annoyed is because when someone asked about derestrting their bike UNLESS they ask about the Law or Warrenty I assume they have already done the research and know that answer.

And I do get tired of the same few people who think their the moral guardians of the forum and endlessly bang on about the leagallity.

On another note I also think the Trade members should remember this forum is where bike owners can discuss issues and unless the Trades opinion is specifically asked for maybe Trade members should think twice before posting. :)
Go back and read the OPs post again. Because he was clearly completely uninformed about the legal situation and said he was puzzled by it. I quote: “ I can tune my car or motorcycle so what is going on with e bikes.” Now he knows the reason and can make an informed choice.

Actually there is widespread ignorance of what is legal and what is not legal with many if not most new members here; and so presumably with many pedelec riders in general. For instance there is a common misunderstanding of off road use. How many times do you read posters asking how to derestrict their new bikes for 'off road use‘ completely unaware that off road in the sense they mean it is just the same as on road?

This subject comes up so often that I think it should be made clear in a sticky somewhere, and then there won’t need to be constant arguments about it.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Col.....I mentioned the existance of KTM S-class bikes only to make customers aware that other German/Austrian brands aside from Kalkhoff make these higher powered e-bikes but KTM have a responsible attitude to using their bikes legally.
I don't think customers are aware that these higher powered bikes can only be used on the highway, not on cycle tracks,promenades,bridleways.
We get some 30 per cent of customers who want their e-bikes to go faster,or more power.
10 per cent want their e-bikes to go uphill without any pedalling...the upcoming no throttle rule would make that very difficult even with lots of power. These people don't want a motorbike,maybe there is a market for a motorbike that looks like a bicycle,with say 500 watts power,full speed throttle,that could be engineered to go up steep hills without pedalling....it would have to be type approved as an electric moped,registered,taxed,insured but the costs would be relatively low....such a bike would be road legal....what do others think about such a machine?
KudosDave

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
what is more criminal? 1) you go into the LCD and change the speed limit or 2) you drive at 85mph on the M25 or French toll motorways or 3) use one of these on the pavement?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Riding your electric bike at nighttime in most cases is equally as illegal.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Twangman.....that already exists....their is a nice electric moped sold under the Sachs group in Germany. I presented it on this forum and there was a luke warm reaction.
I think that most don't want it to look like a moped,they still want it to look like a bicycle.
But you cannot have it do everything,although it would look like a bicycle,in the eyes of the law it would be a moped,with the restrictions of highway use only,no cycle tracks.
You would have to make a choice,an e-bike with power to climb hills without pedalling,highway use only. Or,an e-bike restricted to 15,5 mph and 250 watts but you could use anywhere.....I suppose it comes down to individual priorities.
As an experiment,Kudos had built a 48v x 500 watt bike,based u with 23 mph ability and climb 10% hills ,12 stone rider,using throttle only. With normal terrain and rider input it would range about 20 miles on a 500 Wh battery.
It would need lots of tweaking to type approve as a moped.
KudosDave

what is more criminal? 1) you go into the LCD and change the speed limit or 2) you drive at 85mph on the M25 or French toll motorways or 3) use one of these on the pavement?

Trex.... you do realise legality is a line in the sand... once you cross that. Everything is illegal.

Lines in the sand change with time, and I'm sure the eBike law will continue to evolve. However once you cross that line, you are breaking the law, so there is nothing that is more or less criminal. Its a fixed definition, they are all equally criminal.

However if you're asked which is more socially acceptable, or more risky, or more likely to cause you problems, or more likely to get caught or be punished. These are all different questions.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014

I get where you're coming from (I find 20 to 25 mph on a pedelec more or less ideal), the last time I checked the limit on French motorways (toll roads at least) were 85 mph (of course that, and the lower accident rate on them than UK ones) argue for higher average speed limits (bearing in mind I guess that French toll roads are exponentially better and safer than anything here)

Reactions: trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
we know the police are unlikely to take action (unless someone is involved in an accident) in all three examples from me and one from d8veh. Let's leave the consequences aside if there were an accident because I am sure we are all old enough for that.
There will be a new moral problem very soon, when the full throttle becomes illegal. I bet some of you can't wait.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com

By criminal if you mean number of offences committed it would be No 1...you have converted your bicycle into a motorbike and thus are using a motorised vehicle which is not registered,not taxed,not insured,no crash hat,failure to display,no number plate and no registration plate.....most would not drive a car onto the highway and commit such offences but the offence is the same.
KudosDave

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
by 'criminal', I mean morally reprehensible, a villain, a delinquent, a sinner within our middle class bourgois society and should be singled out and ticked off at the next parish councillors' meeting.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
the last time I checked the limit on French motorways (toll roads at least) were 85 mph
Has the speed limit been changed in France since I last drove there? From memory, the maximum speed permitted is (was?) 130kph except when raining when it is (was?) lowered to 110kph.

Recently, it was reported that the French authorities were cracking down on speeding foreign motorists, most of whom are driving UK registered cars.

Tom

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Has the speed limit been changed in France since I last drove there? From memory, the maximum speed permitted is (was?) 130kph except when raining when it is (was?) lowered to 110kph.

Recently, it was reported that the French authorities were cracking down on speeding foreign motorists, most of whom are driving UK registered cars.

Tom
no, that's as I remember it too (130 km/h, which strictly, is 80.77 mph, but practically with speedo error means one hammers along at 85 on the speedo and 80 on the satnav, although, in the sprit of this thread, the French should probably put up signs on the motorways saying the speed limit is 80.778 mph...).

the French do measure4 average speed between toll roads using number plate recognition - so one cant average more than the maximum without getting in trouble. But curiously I find 80 to 85 just perfect in a car on a motorway, much as I find 20 to 25 mph on a pedelecs.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I often ride at +20 mph on my pedelec, it cuts out at around 16.75 mph (15.5 +10% tolerance) and I provide the extra Watts to take it up to that speed on the flat.

That is just fine around town but I would like 45 kph assist on the open road, I would like to be able to ride up hills at 20-25 mph - motor Watts + my Watts. And no limit on downhill runs - the S-pedelec or moped law would limit me to 45 kph. My no suspension 26" bike gets a little hairy over 55 kph which is the speed at which I start thinking about gloves and helmets and body armour (bike jacket). I think I would feel at ease at 40 mph on a S-pedelec with a bike helmet and some gloves. Just from looking at pictures you can tell that they have been designed for handling that kind of speed. Much more secure than a small wheel scooter.

All of the above leads one direction - a tadpole trike pedelec. 25 kph climbing speed and nerves are the limit downhill. Or a pedelec assisted vélomobile - assist to 25 kph then pedal to 50-60 kph on the flat, we don't have the nice roads of Austria so no +110 kph down hill runs possible around here... :cool:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The full throttle offence is going to be so difficult for the police to prosecute,bicycles don't usually have a sales date and checking whether it's a legal 4 mph throttle or an illegal full speed throttle and whether the bike has type approval or not?
I think most police would be busy elsewhere.
KudosDave

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
all the vendors of bikes with torque sensors will be pleased.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
The full throttle offence is going to be so difficult for the police to prosecute,bicycles don't usually have a sales date and checking whether it's a legal 4 mph throttle or an illegal full speed throttle and whether the bike has type approval or not?
I think most police would be busy elsewhere.
KudosDave
in my neck of the woods the police don't have enough time to come out after most burglaries (and don't deal with vandalism at all), if I really want to p*ss off my local community protection officer I should shove my converted raleigh twenty under her/his nose and insist on them checking its throttle..

Reactions: Kudoscycles

abbott013

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 5, 2015
The speed is set un the LCD. If you have the "set" button, press and hold it, otherwise it's the plus and minus buttons. Once you're in the settings, you'll soon figure out what button does what.
Hi
I have tried the set button, but the lcd seems to display wheel sizes and circumferences, I can`t seem to get any further ?.
As for the speed issue, I managed a indicated 40 mph down hill over the weekend, the bikes so heavy compared to my ultra light mountain bike and faster.

abbott013

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 5, 2015
A motorcycle is not a moped, a moped in its definition has a power limit so there is no way you can call it a motorcycle. I would think the same would be true for a pedelec. If the dealers are so knowledgeable why don't they know what classification a pedelec with a 250 w motor rated at over 15 mph is and also motors with a higher wattage. The Sinclair C5 stuck to certain limits, but that was before the EU got involved, have things changed since back in the 80s