Turbo Levo Brose Motor Problem help...

Humbucker

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 29, 2017
Lancashire
My first brose motor lasted 600 miles and kept cutting out. Motor replace at a local dealer as the one I purchased it from was a 300 mile round trip. Had problems again and was sent to Specialized for diagnostics and reported to be a connector on the motor was damaged :-(
Bike returned but all was not well, stuck in Eco mode and mileage not reported on the App.
Rang the original dealer to tell them of all the problems I have had and they asked me to return bike and they replaced motor and battery whilst I waited and fully tested it. Superb service from them and very knowledgeable
Been Ok for 400 miles but the bearings on the crank are not as quiet as when the motor was replaced.
Still puts a beaming smile on my face.

Reactions: IR772

mab13

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2015
Peak District
I've not had any problems with mine, but have just had the battery and motor software updates done.

Speaking with the dealer, Specialized have issued 'heat pads' for dealers to fit which require the motor to be opened up. I'm unsure specifically how they work but they essentially disappate heat from the motor more effectively which should address any motor cut outs resulting from heat build up (which I haven't experienced but will still have the heat pad fitted).

May be useful to anyone experiencing problems...

Taffyteg

Apr 30, 2017
Warwick
I have just gone through a similar experience. Motor started cutting in and out one ride, but after turning everything off and on - seemed ok. The next ride (1 week later) it started cutting in and out again and then died altogether after about 30 mins of use.
Turns out water had gone into the motor connector (corrosion on pins) on the main harness, it looks as though it made its way in there through the actually motor and this killed the motor.
Took the bike to Specialized Concept store in Birmingham (Fort Dunlop) and then the problem went from bad to worse, very poor service.
3 weeks later the motor was eventually replaced, they had not tested the bike, they said they had replaced the water damaged harness / connector (they hadn't) they said they had updated the firmware (they hadn't) and surprise surprise the bike did not work when I it home (turns out the harness connection was poor).
On top of that they had also managed to dislodge the dropper post cable from the bottom of the seat post and that took an hour to sort out.
Rode the bike yesterday at Cannock and all seems ok, motor was working perfectly - fingers crossed this will one will last longer than 4 months.

Big thanks to Specialized customer service centre who were very supportive and informative and dealt with concept store in Birmingham.

Taffyteg

Apr 30, 2017
Warwick
I've not had any problems with mine, but have just had the battery and motor software updates done.

Speaking with the dealer, Specialized have issued 'heat pads' for dealers to fit which require the motor to be opened up. I'm unsure specifically how they work but they essentially disappate heat from the motor more effectively which should address any motor cut outs resulting from heat build up (which I haven't experienced but will still have the heat pad fitted).

May be useful to anyone experiencing problems...
Turns out some early Levo's did not have a heat sink fitted - which could cause the motor to overheat and cut out. Once the motor cooled down, it would cut back in again.

Peter Goddard

Nov 26, 2015
Depressing to hear these problems. I was very interested in the Brose motor last year when I saw it in a Rotwild, beautiful integration, so I spent quite a long time on the German pedelecforum.de using Google translate. There have been an awful lot of issues with Brose reported there, especially thermal cutout and the like. One can only hope that it will clear up in due course.

FWIW my Yamaha drive has been faultless for 2500 miles....so far...

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: Steve A and IR772

Richard-Ebike

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
sheffield
Not had any problems but I do have a bike that was fitted with the heat pad from the factory. Also got the update on it .. and I tend to use lower power setting a lot

So all happy smile miles.

The only problem I have is mates saying it's cheating. but I get twice as much fun on the downhill doing them again and again.

Gl3n_uk

May 6, 2017
Great Britain
Ignore the cheating cmments, you are out longer, I bet you are happier.

I am much slower than my mates, I just keep with them and enjoy it.

They have tried my bike and think it's great. They will get one when they need to.

Let the people who moan continue, keep smiling

Reactions: Tom Rae

Richard-Ebike

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
sheffield
Yea,
I find I can get another go while they rest.

as long as it's not just me and one other I can still have fun and do things again and again.

don't worry I sure do smile .. expensive but the smiles have only just started and get better each time I find a new track to go on

Gl3n_uk

May 6, 2017
Great Britain
Totally, very simply

I'm enjoying biking again, sounds like you are to :)

I hope many many more find ebikes and do the same. If you are on a normal one and happy stay there :)

Peekas

Just Joined
May 14, 2017
Perth, Australia
Help! I have a Turbo Levo HT Fat based in the UK.

I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with their motor cutting out (and staying off)?

I took it to my local Specialized dealer who:

- updated the software on battery and motor to version 4
- replaced the power / battery cable as a precaution
- cleaned the contacts of the motor and some signs of damp.

This got it working again, but after around 30km of riding the motor does not work again. The only thing is that on both occasions, the roads were very wet but I'd expect it to be well sealed...

The Mission Control app connects to the battery, but does not report motor stats. I tried cleaning the magnet sensor and the plug to the battery was dry.
Mine did the same thing, motor cut out after 13 km from new. I unplugged the battery cable for 5 mins. plugged it back in and it all worked again, but not in mission control all my motor serial number looks like this ??????? see pic attached.

Attachments

azapa

Just Joined
May 24, 2017
My levo turbo, build 2016 but almost unused. Just charged last night for first time after about 30kms assisted riding, and this morning no drive. Lights on, full information on android app. No assistance. Will take it to dealers today. My software version looks old, 3.x, compared to other users. Disappointed!

Attachments

azapa

Just Joined
May 24, 2017
Quick update on my case above ^^. I had hacked the mission control app to make the bike SW think it has a 800mm wheel (the hack is here, just a quick google search). This all but removes the top speed cut out. Once at the dealers, I reset to factory settings via the mission control app, and the bike started working again. The dealer is a REALLY GOOD guy and I told him the whole thing, hacking part too. He will have the software updated to the latest version via a kit the main distributor is sending him. I'll report back again.

ukmarcel

Jan 15, 2017
Cheshire
Any progress? I started to have the same kind of problem with mine. It stopped after 15 miles. I can turn off the motor, ride without for a mile and when I start again it is good for one minute and stops again.
Just a follow up on my case. The motor finally completely stopped working. I brought the bike to my dealership and they look at it. They think it was the cable going from the battery to the back of the motor.(they originally suspected the speed sensor cable). Even if the connection is double sealed they found some water ingress and they also cleaned the contact. Their advice was to avoid to pull too much on this cable when unplugging the battery. They also updated the firmware. Went for a ride today and it was great :) .. will update later

Rouge Rider

Pedelecer
May 14, 2017
Sunderland
Alls well that ends well..I was very tempted yesterday to order the expert,down to 5k with a further £300 off for the weekend...tredz problem is it's just too far from home if I have any problems

azapa

Just Joined
May 24, 2017
OK I updated my motor FW to 4.00.01 and battery to 6.22 (strange thing here is the battery said 6.9 before... but the update was from Feb 2017 and my battery 2016). I then changed the wheel diameter hack to 1500mm instead of the 800mm i was running before. All is fine for now.

ukmarcel

Jan 15, 2017
Cheshire
Just a follow up on my case. The motor finally completely stopped working. I brought the bike to my dealership and they look at it. They think it was the cable going from the battery to the back of the motor.(they originally suspected the speed sensor cable). Even if the connection is double sealed they found some water ingress and they also cleaned the contact. Their advice was to avoid to pull too much on this cable when unplugging the battery. They also updated the firmware. Went for a ride today and it was great :) .. will update later
I did 85 km last week without incident. It seems the problem has been solved:). Will update if any new problem arises.

Rouge Rider

Pedelecer
May 14, 2017
Sunderland
Think I'm gonna wait with this bike,seems they'll have to iron out all the creases before I part with a lot of money.i want a bike to do years of riding without problems not all of this

Related Articles

Advertisers