Tyre Sealant

imellor

Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2006
I got a couple of cans of Tyre Sealant for christmas.
I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using it.
I have an Ezee Torq and thought it would be useful for on the road repairs, rather than having to remove wheels etc.

Does anyone have any comments or experience of this product?

Ian

Flying Kiwi

Pedelecer
Dec 25, 2006
Buckinghamshire
I've never used that but Murphys law says the next time you do get a flat, it'll be due to a valve stem leak or something that stuff can't help with. I certainly wouldn't trust such products to provide any sort of permanent seal on a tubed tyre so since the tube would need to at least be exposed, if not replaced, I figure, in addition, a spare tube, puncture kit and mobile phone to call a taxivan or find the nearest bike shop while on a trip would be the way to go. I dont know what sort of valves the Torq has but if you haven't already done so, it could save some frustration :eek: by ensuring those cans have matching fittings.

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
If you commute, at least use something (kevlar tubes and slime). You would really regret a 9 mile walk. (O and remember a small pump just in case the slime is a bit slow;) )

Even if I get a puncture that self repaired with slime I try to replace the tube as soon as I get home. I have some decency:D

Now all the bike community has to do is make smashing glass on bike paths a hanging offence.
Andrew

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've never found sealant works, and the mess that the sticky stuff spreads over the tube makes puncture repair or tube change a messy job. I almost always repair the puncture on the road as it only take minutes, but carry a spare tube on all bikes in case of valve rip-out etc.

On any new bike I get which is out of the ordinary in any way, such as motorised wheel/different brake type, I try a wheel removal dummy run to discover any hidden snags, odd spanner sizes etc.

On the run that's most strewn by glass by a tram/bus interchange, a trailer towing run I do with the Twist, I've got Marathon Plus puncture proof tyres so I can just ride over the glass. Sometimes see kids watching me do that, but they're doomed to disappointment if they're expecting a puncture to result.

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
Holts sealant

Used this stuff for the first time a month ago,

I have an Ezee Torq and thought it would be useful for on the road repairs, rather than having to remove wheels etc.

Ian
developed a slow puncture on the way home, tried the Holts brand, still needed a hand pump to get the tyre up to pressure, but it got me home 20 miles or so, the tyre was still hard the next day so it did the job, but i have learned the hard way not to mess with punctures, always carry a spare tube and the tools i need to get it on. i just didn't fancy the task of roadside tube replacement that day and thought i'd give the sealant a try first, worked for me - but i wouldn't risk any further journey without proper repair, you can find this stuff in Halfords, there are two sizes, the small one is enough.

beeps

imellor

Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2006
Thanks all for your replies.

I do indeed carry a puncture repair kit, on the basis that I could probably repair without removing the wheel.
I don't commute in the bike, so if I did have a puncture and couldn't repair, I would walk, or call a friend. I like the Taxivans idea, I'll have to get the local number!!!
My main concern with the can of tyre repair was the mess, but I think if I used it I would just replace the tube when I got home anyway.

Thanks

Ian

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
Regarding the mess I think that you only loose a few cc`s of slime with your average puncture. If the whole tube of slime empties into your tyre interior you would have needed a new tube anyway. The stuff washes out of the tyre quite easily.

Personally this is a must for a rainy/cold commute. Tube changing/puncture repairs on the side of the road pushed me into the petrol world in the first place. Of course puritans can argue the toss, but then cycle puritans say an electric bike is an abomination anyway..
Andrew

Sav

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2006
Great Mongeham
As a long term motorcyclist I have always used sealant or 'Gorilla Snot'. It got me home over 100 miles a few months ago when I spooted a roofing tack up to the hilt in one tyre.

Have a good New Year all.

Chris

aroncox

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2006
Twice

I've had two punctures on the way to work, and both times I had a can of tyre sealant with me. The first time I sprayed it in and it got me to work, but was totally flat again in an hour or so. The second time I sprayed it in and then it sprayed out again, all over me, as the leak was in the valve not the tyre, that was messy! I also found that two of my five cans wouldn't spray at all as the button on top was broken.

I still keep a can with me, but I no longer believe it will fix my tyre forever as the product maintains.

Ian

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
andrewelectricbike1

I wish it had worked for me, but after three failures on bike tyres I'm not inclined to try again. In each case the Slime or Halfords equivalent that I had with me failed to seal and a bit spread into the tyre and tube interface as pressure was lost, though the puncture holes weren't large. It's not a case of the whole lot emptying, just a tiny oozing that didn't harden but continued oozing, despite further pumping up. Maybe it seals a pinprick, but it didn't on a nail and a couple of glass punctures and didn't live up to what it claimed.

I know it washes off the tyre at home, but if it fails at the roadside, the ooze on the tube and tyre makes the puncture many times more difficult to deal with, as I found each time.

Sav

I agree, it's worked on both motorbikes and a car for me in the past, and I think it probably works better with the larger volume and tubeless as that what it was designed for in the first place.

Nov 10, 2006
Midlands
Slime raises the odds for saving me a stop in the rain during my commute. I always use maxxis kevlar tyres too.

Twenty two years ago I put quarter of a pint of water in each tyre to get me to a from school with slow punctures. No kevlar or slime then! It worked fine in the summer, but I had a shock in the winter with the solid lump of ice for the first few miles. :D

Anyway without reinventing the wheel (slime/noslime debate) I think power assist ran for months on that one.

Have you ever used green tyres flecc? They sure look useful.. Green Tyre - Puncture proof tyres manufactured in the United Kingdom

~S~
Andrew

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've never used them Andrew, but was thinking of getting a pair for the trailer since the N/S wheel running near the gutter gets punctures regularly.

I'm not too keen on the idea for a bike, especially the front wheel. All the previous attempts at this idea have given too much lateral sag for stability, giving an insecure feel on corners as the tyre squirms on the rim. This is apparently due to the fact they they have the same "give" in all directions, against modern tyres which have the structure designed to give less lateral give than vertical give.

Maybe if I try the trailer ones they'll give some indication of how good they are in that respect. Only problem now is getting them as they don't seem to sell online and I know dealers aren't cooperative on these sort of products.

P.S.
Just been reading online about someone's experiences with these. Seems they created considerably extra drag, adding 50% to a roll-down test time, and also had a "flat" zone that created a bump once per revolution. That makes me much less keen to try them. That "flat" part was also a fault with the US made solid tubes that were available for a short while but which disappeared quite quickly. It's the join that's the trouble, it seems they are made from continuous section cut offs rather than moulded individually.

Last edited:

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Thanks all for your replies.

I do indeed carry a puncture repair kit, on the basis that I could probably repair without removing the wheel.
I don't commute in the bike, so if I did have a puncture and couldn't repair, I would walk, or call a friend. I like the Taxivans idea, I'll have to get the local number!!!
My main concern with the can of tyre repair was the mess, but I think if I used it I would just replace the tube when I got home anyway.

Thanks

Ian
Hi Ian,

ETA do a cycle breakdown service with puncture cover. I'm going to purchase this in the new year when my commute lengthens just in case I can't do a roadside repair.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Green Tyres - isn't there another company in the UK that supplies inner tubes that are solid (i.e. no inflation) and you still use your normal tyre ?

Would these still be subject to the same problems?

imellor

Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2006
Hi Ian,

ETA do a cycle breakdown service with puncture cover. I'm going to purchase this in the new year when my commute lengthens just in case I can't do a roadside repair.
Thanks for the tip, I have just had a look, looks like a good idea. I have emailed taxivans for a typical journey cost as well. Given that I don't commute on the bike, it might not be worth my while subscribing to a service.

Ian

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, I mentioned the solid "tubes" in my last post above Russ, in a P.S., but as said, they seem to have disappeared. They were being handled by a private individual, but were not very successful.