UK suppliers for conversion kits

Chewhacka

Just Joined
Mar 30, 2024
Hi guys. I'm new to the pedelecs forum and looking for a little advice.
I'm looking for a simple but effective road legal conversion kit for my hybrid 28" wheel bike with V-brakes for short distances (work commute) and will be installing it myself. A motorised front hub seems to be the obvious choice, and saw lots of options on AliExpress, but unfortunately most won't deliver to the UK. Can anybody recommend a good UK supplier for such a kit?

Thanks.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
The UK supplier who gets a lot of mentions on here is Woosh bikes of Southen and PSW Power will deliver to the UK but you won't get the same level of Customer Service as given by Woosh Bikes.
Now sit back to hear about the different opinions of front hub versus rear hub & mid drive.

Reactions: sjpt and Chewhacka

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
It may come as a surprise to you but there appears to be very few UK suppliers of conversion kits. The forum choice for kits seems to be YosePower (not UK based) or Woosh (UK based). I used Woosh for my conversion and I'm very pleased with it. There are many opinions about front or rear wheel motors but the rear wheel option generally gets the forum approval. Are you familiar with working on bikes?

Last edited:
Reactions: Chewhacka

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It may come as a surprise to you but their appears to be very few UK suppliers of conversion kits. The forum choice for kits seems to be YosePower (not UK based) or Woosh (UK based). I used Woosh for my conversion and I'm very pleased with it. There are many opinions about front or rear wheel motors but the rear wheel option generally gets the forum approval. Are you familiar with working on bikes?
There's Kirbebike kits as well. Their normal kits have the very desirable KT controller. They also sell a very lightweight kit. I'm not sure if that one has a KT controller too. You'd have to ask them. I think I'd prefer a Kirbebike kit to a Yose one because of the controller.
Ebike Conversion Kit Shipped To You Today- Kirbebike

Reactions: Chewhacka

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Woosh will supply you with a complete kit that is plug and play with excellant back up service.
I recently bought one from Topbikekit. Here though you have to select components to make up your kit, so takes a little more thinking about. However it all arrived as ordered and in timely fashion. Battery was bought from Greenlance.

My avatar bike is a front hub and has given me many thousand miles around Wales. You have to be aware that they can scrub on hills and even sometimes spin on loose/gravelly surfaces. Also can make low speed mavouvering 'interesting' because of torque steer. Nothing to worry an accomplished cyclist if prepared for it.
Best if forks are steel (though mine a ally) and fit a torque bracket.
V brakes are not the best, I'd try to upgrade to hydraulic discs if you can.

Chewhacka

Just Joined
Mar 30, 2024
The UK supplier who gets a lot of mentions on here is Woosh bikes of Southen and PSW Power will deliver to the UK but you won't get the same level of Customer Service as given by Woosh Bikes.
Now sit back to hear about the different opinions of front hub versus rear hub & mid drive.
I've taken some time already to read up on the difference between front hubs, rear hubs and mid-drive. I'm not looking for any major mechanical changes to the bike just yet and already have a rack on the rear of the bike so thought a front hub would help balance the bike weight a little. I may be tempted by a mid drive in a few years time.

Reactions: Bikes4two

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Youtube has shown me 2x cyclotricity ads today alone.. all i did was open the £400 ebike link from this posthttps://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/bargains.46309/page-5

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Another vote for Woosh.

We have an XF07 front hub from them on our tandem. A bit underpowered for the tandem. They warned us when we bought but there was no alternative legal option at the time, and it gives almost all the help we need. They arranged to make all the cables appropriate length before they supplied it, and helped very quickly with a couple of minor questions during install. It would be fine for a commuter.

If you want a very light weight kit consider Cytronex, but it will come in very expensive and with very low capacity battery. https://www.cytronex.com/electric-bike-conversion-kits/

Don't be tempted by Swytch. They are very good at marketing.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
As others have said Woosh for great support and service. Yosepower and PSW if you want to save money and are happy to go it alone.
The Kirbebike @saneagle linked to looks good value

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Woosh are excellant to deal with before then the exemplary CS/after service.
The desired KT supplied kit is worth buying for the system alone.
Cyclotricity use KT stuff but are expensive also firmware may be custom firmware an option KT have for OEM supliers , ths may rule out using standard KT firmware stuff which is cheaper to buy form a third party seller.

Brik

Pedelecer
May 11, 2023
West Midlands
I chose to purchase from a UK based supplier when I was looking for my mid drive kit around 18 months ago, the company I decided on now seems to have closed...
Custom Built Ebikes is now closed
It is with a heavy heart that we announce the closure of our business. Unfavourable market conditions and people opting to buy often inferior products from overseas supplies after talking to us has led to a serious reduction in our business. We estimate that only around 10% of the lengthy calls we take every day lead to purchases from us. We’re sure that this is common to many small businesses, however, it just isn’t sustainable when sale volumes drop as low as they have over the past year.

Our batteries have never been the cheapest available; this is because we have only used branded parts and have placed an emphasis on safety rather than budget. Despite the media coverage showing the dangers of buying batteries of unknown source from offshore or private suppliers, many people continue to do so, and we get to hear some of their horror stories.

We wish our past customers the best for their future and hope they have many years of fun on their Custom Built Ebikes.

Reactions: Woosh

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I chose to purchase from a UK based supplier when I was looking for my mid drive kit around 18 months ago, the company I decided on now seems to have closed...
Custom Built Ebikes is now closed
It is with a heavy heart that we announce the closure of our business. Unfavourable market conditions and people opting to buy often inferior products from overseas supplies after talking to us has led to a serious reduction in our business. We estimate that only around 10% of the lengthy calls we take every day lead to purchases from us. We’re sure that this is common to many small businesses, however, it just isn’t sustainable when sale volumes drop as low as they have over the past year.

Our batteries have never been the cheapest available; this is because we have only used branded parts and have placed an emphasis on safety rather than budget. Despite the media coverage showing the dangers of buying batteries of unknown source from offshore or private suppliers, many people continue to do so, and we get to hear some of their horror stories.

We wish our past customers the best for their future and hope they have many years of fun on their Custom Built Ebikes.
It's sad when any business has to wind up. The whole bicycle industry is in the doldrums at the moment. Only the fittest survive.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It's sad when any business has to wind up. The whole bicycle industry is in the doldrums at the moment. Only the fittest survive.
I have sadly to agree. The problem is online shopping has conditioned many of us to automatically compare prices, neglecting other less tangible quality metrics.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
I've bought two DWG22C rear-wheel kits from Woosh and both were just plug & play. The first one went on my tandem and has now done over 4K trouble free* miles in the three years since it was fitted. The 2nd DWG22C kit went on a solo bike and has been similarly fault free.

*I did rebuild the wheel on the tandem with 'better' spokes / rim, but that's not particularly unusual as tandems are quite high maintenance in general and very hard on rear wheels. The motor and electronics have been faultless.

You do need a bit of mechanical know-how to fit a kit, but anyone with a modicum of spanner twiddling experience will have no problems. For a first time build, buying from someone like Woosh you can be pretty confident that it will all fit together easily and support is only an e-mail / phone call away if required.

johnGN

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 4, 2024
Hi guys. I'm new to the pedelecs forum and looking for a little advice.
I'm looking for a simple but effective road legal conversion kit for my hybrid 28" wheel bike with V-brakes for short distances (work commute) and will be installing it myself. A motorised front hub seems to be the obvious choice, and saw lots of options on AliExpress, but unfortunately most won't deliver to the UK. Can anybody recommend a good UK supplier for such a kit?

Thanks.
Hi If you want a foolproof front wheel kit I would suggest https://kirbebike.com/ A youtube video quotes 15 minutes to convert your own bike But I think it may take slightly longer They look pretty good Also the combined battery with controller is removable so a bit less likely to be thieved Not cheap at £538 but based in Essex

David989

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 19, 2023
Woosh will supply you with a complete kit that is plug and play with excellant back up service.
I recently bought one from Topbikekit. Here though you have to select components to make up your kit, so takes a little more thinking about. However it all arrived as ordered and in timely fashion. Battery was bought from Greenlance.

My avatar bike is a front hub and has given me many thousand miles around Wales. You have to be aware that they can scrub on hills and even sometimes spin on loose/gravelly surfaces. Also can make low speed mavouvering 'interesting' because of torque steer. Nothing to worry an accomplished cyclist if prepared for it.
Best if forks are steel (though mine a ally) and fit a torque bracket.
V brakes are not the best, I'd try to upgrade to hydraulic discs if you can.
I Bought a battery from Greenlance half a year ago and I am really satisfied by it. Mine is the 21700 Cells 48V 20AH and I am urban riding at 1500W and city at 250W. I bought a controller from them with a custom order that allowed me to customise my riding.

I did see a survey link from them on the website and gave me £10 voucher so I am just waiting for their Electric tyre Pump as I get a lot of troubles with my tyre lately.