Unlocked 250W to 500W, not much difference

logicped

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 11, 2020
Hi all, I have a 250W/500W Cyclotricity rear wheel drive conversion and was impressed with the 250W power using the restricted LED. 16-17mph ish on a straight with throttle only. My partner never really needed more than power assist level 1 for PAS unless going up hill.

Just unlocked to 500W and tried some speed testing multiple times on the same piece of road with slight incline. I was surprised to find 18mph top speed throttle only on both 250W and 500W and going back up the incline the 500W gave a 3mph improvement. I think I can notice a 'tiny' bit more power off the throttle from start, but should I be expecting more from a 500W unlock? Even at power assist level 5 I still need to put a reasonable amount of effort into peddling to keep at 19mph. Again, if this is normal and to be expected then I am happy with it, I think I was just expecting a bit more power from the 500W unlock.

Thanks

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You were probably getting a lot more than 250w max at the 250w settings (most 250 motors go to at least 400 and often 700 or more peak). Also it is quite possible the battery can't deliver much more to let to 500w work to its best.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hi all, I have a 250W/500W Cyclotricity rear wheel drive conversion and was impressed with the 250W power using the restricted LED. 16-17mph ish on a straight with throttle only. My partner never really needed more than power assist level 1 for PAS unless going up hill.

Just unlocked to 500W and tried some speed testing multiple times on the same piece of road with slight incline. I was surprised to find 18mph top speed throttle only on both 250W and 500W and going back up the incline the 500W gave a 3mph improvement. I think I can notice a 'tiny' bit more power off the throttle from start, but should I be expecting more from a 500W unlock? Even at power assist level 5 I still need to put a reasonable amount of effort into peddling to keep at 19mph. Again, if this is normal and to be expected then I am happy with it, I think I was just expecting a bit more power from the 500W unlock.

Thanks
It feels much the same because you are using the same battery and controller, the 500w unlock might release 3 or 4 more amps.

logicped

May 11, 2020
Thanks for this. Their 250W/500W rear wheel drive kit is heavier than their 250W front drive kit, but their marketing speak suggests that there is much more power when the 500W kit is unlocked. I am going to convert another bike for a friend and wonder if I should just buy the lighter front 250W kit as I am not really seeing any power increase at all from their rear wheel drive kit 500W unlock. The 250W kit is cheaper, lighter and easier to install.

It feels much the same because you are using the same battery and controller, the 500w unlock might release 3 or 4 more amps.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What is the controller rating for the 250/500 ?

Ideally for the 500w a D/D hub you would need 25/30a and good a good battery to see much change.
Most 250w geared hubs can produce about 400 - 700w if the controller and battery can deliver the current for short periods of use, higher current or power level usage will lessen the range which leads to heavier larger batteries being carried.

logicped

May 11, 2020
Their LCD is the KT-LCD1 (or that's what it says on the instructions) I will check the controller tonight. I am actually happy with the performance of the 250W motor, but struggled to see any difference with their supplied 500W upgrade kit despite their claims. I may just install the small LED display back which restricts to 250W and leave it like that.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You can't use just any KT LCD on those kits as they use a custom mode which is programmed only into their software.

logicped

May 11, 2020
Thanks, I am just using what was supplied by Cyclotricity, I have no idea about any of these kits. I naturally assumed that whatever they have sold me would unlock the 500W motor to it's full potential as advertised, but there is little difference after unlocked.

You can't use just any KT LCD on those kits as they use a custom mode which is programmed only into their software.