Upgrade to BBSHD?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
unless you have a source for suitable frames?
the frame would retail for about £200. I would sell the frames to the shops.
To avoid anti-dumping levy, we'll have to assemble the bikes ourselves.

Reactions: Blunderbuss

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I personally wouldn't waste my money on a 36v 500w BBS02. The difference between that and what you have now will be minimal in terms of performance.

You need to go BBS02 750w or BBSHD to achieve massive hill climbing ability. Coupled with a custom 42T chainring, my BBS02 750w is a complete beast on hills. It just keeps powering up the steepest of climbs.
Im not sure I agree on he first bit . I have a 500w 02 and my mate a 250w bbs

Both mounted to similar hardtail with same batteries

The 350w is just a reprogrammed 250w. The 250 actually peaks at 600W and the 500w at just over 900w

So thats 50% extra power which we both feel is very very apparent ! My 02 will pull me up any thing on throttle only Inc very steep off road south downs. My mates will not

Of course a 750 or HD will be even more powerful but I kinda think unless you actually. Need it don't bother . Only because it drives the the battery cost way up to drive a high power set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I think you could be onto something there as I think all the Bafang TS mid drives share the same mounting bracket. There could be a good market when the new M600 drives are eventually released and for sale. I would certainly be interested in one:)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Im not sure I agree on he first bit .
Whoops, I probably should've worded that better. I think the OP is after the ebike grin, so I didn't mean don't buy the 36v 500w BBS02 in general. In its own rights, it's a great motor. I was trying to steer him towards more bang for the buck. If he buys the less powerful unit, then decides it's not enough, then there's nothing he can do. But if he buys either the 750w BBS02 or BBSHD, and thinks it's too powerful, then they are both easily tamed.

• Agree
Reactions: Kinninvie

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
To avoid anti-dumping levy, we'll have to assemble the bikes ourselves.
And members of the pedelec forum with appropriate discount? ;) Locally we have good welders (Dassault Aviation factory might have something to do with that...) and thought about buying a Cube frame from bikediscount.de and having it cut and the bracket welded in:
- frame cost about 80€ for the ones on sale
- welding?
- can of matt black spray paint

I have a source for the motors, now I just have to convince AZUB to weld the bracket onto a trike boom my way. They mount the Steps motor upside down to keep the BB high enough to avoid heel strike by lads with size 47 shoes :eek:

paulc1976

Pedelecer
May 22, 2014
Yes it’s more the grim factor. To be honest I was going to buy the BBSHD to begin with but decided a BBS01 would be fine. It is quick enough on the flats but would be nice to have a lot more grunt, especially for hill climbing. I find the 350w will get up nearly everything near me but it’s not quick up them even with all the settings maxed out.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
I would buy a frame but the built in battery is a concerno_O if that was available as an empty case it might be ok or you stock the battery as well, for the integrated look .
Woosh are you thinking it would be like the frey only in kit form:)

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Whoops, I probably should've worded that better. I think the OP is after the ebike grin, so I didn't mean don't buy the 36v 500w BBS02 in general. In its own rights, it's a great motor. I was trying to steer him towards more bang for the buck. If he buys the less powerful unit, then decides it's not enough, then there's nothing he can do. But if he buys either the 750w BBS02 or BBSHD, and thinks it's too powerful, then they are both easily tamed.
You are right of course! I kinda read that he wanted more rather than lots more ! Sometimes I do think some folk just go large on the motor without thinking the battery consequences through fully.

Im always on a tight budget and have a few years experience. Hence the friendly warning in that regard :)

paulc1976

Pedelecer
May 22, 2014
You are right Kirstin. It won’t be cheap at all but hopefully it’ll keep me happy for a few years!

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
You are right Kirstin. It won’t be cheap at all but hopefully it’ll keep me happy for a few years!
Then go for the 750w

Otherwise you got nowhere else to go ! Until the BBSMegaHd lands anyway *

*not an actual thing !

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Then go for the 750w
You will be more than impressed with the BBS02 750w unit, it's lighter with bags of torque, coupled with a 52v battery. If you go HD you run the risk of being drawn in to the fact that it will handle so much more power. I run both and the 750 is happy and content, but the HD is the beast that just wants more.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I am attracted to high power motors, look where I live! But so far the GSM has flattened everything I point it at thanks to the right gearing. I spent hours reading ratio tables and cadence to speed tables and even then I got it wrong. You can climb anything with a 250 W (nominative) motor, but not at speed.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If I tell you that the price of the M600 and G521 is £750.
Would you still be interested in buying it?

Reactions: Kinninvie

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The build with all new parts as a discounted kit might work but the premium of profit on each item bought separately will soon add up and might frighten some off

The motor cost is not far off bbs hd the frame price is ok

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The build with all new parts as a discounted kit might work but the premium of profit on each item bought separately will soon add up and might frighten some off

The motor cost is not far off bbs hd the frame price is ok
to get the project going, the factory wants me to commit to buy 200 frames and motor kits.
I can of course start with selling some at low margin to get the ball rolling and build up from there, but the kit and frame are still expensive, £750 for kit and frame. Are there enough customers for this type of product?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I looked at this video comparing the BBSHD and the G510 and I want to sell the Ultras (G510) instead of BBSHDs!
(just joking, still mulling over this, both are still overpriced IMHO)