Urban Mover - UM36SX - Throttle wanted

ukpetey

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 31, 2010
Hello everyone,

I've just taken delivery of my first ever electric bike - and my first bike at all for about 30 years!!

After much deliberation, and forum reading, I went for the Urban Mover UM36SX.

I'll post a review once I've clocked up some miles. Meantime, I'd like one of those throttle kits, so if the fancy takes me, I don't need to pedal at all :)

I've Googled it, yet am unable to find any actually on sale - does anyone know where I can obtain one from, and how much they cost? :confused:

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Peter

Haku

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2007
Gloucestershire
36v version? I asked about throttles for that one but they said the 36v controller doesn't have a throttle input :( I'd have saved up and got a 36v version because of the considerable extra torque compared to the 26v version.

Have you tried contacting Urban Mover directly at their Cheltenham office?

ukpetey

Mar 31, 2010
36v version? I asked about throttles for that one but they said the 36v controller doesn't have a throttle input :( I'd have saved up and got a 36v version because of the considerable extra torque compared to the 26v version.

Have you tried contacting Urban Mover directly at their Cheltenham office?
The users manual does not indicate that it is not possible on the 36v, although the manual is generic for all UM e-bikes. I'll be bl**dy annoyed if it isn't possible!! :mad:

I have not yet tried the office as I believe they're all at The Gadget Show Live this week, so I'll try next week. I now some of the UM guys are members here, so hoping for a positive answer.....

Peter

ukpetey

Mar 31, 2010
Thanks Miznomer, I appreciate your answer. I think I have the answer I was looking for from PowaRider - Electric Bikes - "We have optional throttles for the UM bikes but we don’t really recommend them – they are designed for the 24v bikes (they never supplied any for the 36v bikes) and so the battery indicator lights are always on (irrespective of the battery charge status) and you won’t get full powered speed from throttle only – it will vary between about 10mph and 12.5mph depending on whether the white de-restrict wires are connected together at the controller or not.

We supply the throttle for £32+£3 P&P - the kit requires that you cut down the existing right-hand grip on the handlebars to accommodate the throttle."

Thanks Steve... I'll consider your reply and be in touch... and thanks for the reply...

Peter

Haku

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2007
Gloucestershire
you won’t get full powered speed from throttle only – it will vary between about 10mph and 12.5mph depending on whether the white de-restrict wires are connected together at the controller or not.
That's not my experience, restricted throttle on my UM36 26v lithium gets 10mph but derestricted I can get up to 20mph without pedalling on the flat. Pedal whilst the derestriced throttle is on full and you can easily go over 20mph.

Very pleased about this because the torque sensor has stopped working on my bike, I think the winter snow & rain screwed it up.

ukpetey

Mar 31, 2010
That's not my experience, restricted throttle on my UM36 26v lithium gets 10mph but derestricted I can get up to 20mph without pedalling on the flat. Pedal whilst the derestriced throttle is on full and you can easily go over 20mph.

Very pleased about this because the torque sensor has stopped working on my bike, I think the winter snow & rain screwed it up.
Thanks for the reply Haku, so it IS worth buying and fitting to my 36v in your opinion. Next question, how would I derestrict it?

Cheers, Peter

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Peter,

We are out tomorrow training a retailer till around 1pm- so if you were thinking of calling tomorrow please call then.

All the best
Mark

ukpetey

Mar 31, 2010
I have given Adrian a call. He did not answer, and I left a voicemail. He text messaged me a reply, and we had a short text correspondence.

He says that the throttle kit will work on 24 and 36v systems, and will be fine on my UM36SX - however Steve at PowaRider remains sceptical that I'll get decent performance - including a "significant lag" between opening the throttle and power being applied.

It will cost £35 delivered from Powarider, not sure I want to part with that sort of cash if it may give unsatisfactory results - shame it wasn't included with the bike as standard - most electric bikes have it.

Peter

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Peter,

I'm sorry that Adrian text rather than called! Not normal practice....

There is a lag between twisting the throttle and receiving power from the motor. I suppose it depends on whether you use in town when you are constantly on and off the throttle or whether you will go for extended periods using it.

The reason it isn't a standard component is two fold:

1) The torque sensor is so effective, I don't really feel that you need it
2) With the legislation up in the air and no throttle's being allowed outside of the UK it is cheaper to build without.

For the record, probably only 25% of our customers ask for a throttle...

Thanks
Mark

ukpetey

Mar 31, 2010
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply. If you are confident that the throttle kit will function correctly and adequately on my bike, then I'll order one from PowaRider and see how it goes.

I'll post a review of the throttle and the bike itself in due course on pedelecs.co.uk

One final thing, I bought my bike through Sue at Cycle Repairs in Nottingham. When I unpacked it the rear light was no good as the inserted batteries had decayed and leaked all over the inside of the unit, so I chucked it. She said she'd contact you for a replacement for me, is there any news yet?

Cheers, Peter

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Peter,

If you don't like it- send it back and we will give you a full refund. Can't say fairer than that?!

We should have them from mid-week (weds) so to you on thursday? Possibly before.

We have heard nothing from Sue yet, will have a word with Adrian and sort a replacement.

Let me know if you need anything else

All the best
Mark

ukpetey

Mar 31, 2010
Mark,

Thanks for the very generous 'full refund' offer, that's great and indeed very fair. Should I or can I therefore buy direct from you once you have them in stock?

Thanks also for your help with the rear light, it is appreciated.

Cheers, Peter

ukpetey

Mar 31, 2010
Job done!

Well, following the advice kindly given to me here, I have bought and fitted a throttle to my UM36SX.

I purchased through Steve at Powarider (PowaRider - Electric Bikes) and it was received quickly and well packaged. Steve provided me with brilliant fitting instructions, plus some hints and tips, and fitting was, as a result, a breeze.

So thanks to Mark and Adrian at Urbanmover/Ultramotor, and Steve at Powarider for all their help and advice. Following an initial couple of rides, I'm pleased with the bike and the throttle. As Steve advised, there is a one second lag after turning the throttle before the power is delivered, but no problem as that can be accounted for when riding.

Cheers all,

Peter