Using a Bosch Powerpack 500 with conversion kit (KT)

Chees

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 22, 2020
Hi all,

I previously posted about my stolen e-bike... well the police recovered it and the battery/motor are working, but the rest of that bike is a wreck. I'm thinking of re-using some of the parts for an e-bike conversion on my replacement bike instead. Wondering whether anyone knows or has tried to use a Bosch Powerpack 500 downtube battery with a KT (or other) conversion kit.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Hi all,

I previously posted about my stolen e-bike... well the police recovered it and the battery/motor are working, but the rest of that bike is a wreck. I'm thinking of re-using some of the parts for an e-bike conversion on my replacement bike instead. Wondering whether anyone knows or has tried to use a Bosch Powerpack 500 downtube battery with a KT (or other) conversion kit.
I don’t believe it’s possible.
As Bosch motors, controllers and batteries communicate with each other in order for the system to work it’s highly unlikely/completely unlikely that a Bosch battery will work with anything other than a Bosch motor.
if you’re desperate to make use of the Bosch battery , you could strip out the cells out and build your own battery with the old cells and a new BMS but reality is that you’re Bosch battery is actually worth more secondhand than the cost of a new kit battery.
is the original frame still structurally sound ? If so, I’d rebuild the bike with new/used parts and I’d use the opportunity while the frame is striped to have it re-sprayed/powder coated to a colour of my choice :cool: (cost around £70)
Bosch compatible frames do come up for sale, both new and used,
For example this one is described as Bosch gen 2 type, but I’d ask the seller to make sure before spending £99 ;)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It can be done, but it's complicated. You'd be better off selling what you can and using the money for a Chinese kit. You should get good money for a Bosch battery and charger alone.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton

Reactions: Nealh