Vitus Escarpe 275 CR Mountain Bike

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Anybody converted Vitus Escarpe?

I wonder if it can be done... and I wonder because I have found frame at very tempting price:

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I wonder if it can be done... and I wonder because I have found frame at very tempting price:
it looks easy enough. What's the bottom bracket shell's dimensions?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
it looks easy enough. What's the bottom bracket shell's dimensions?
I know only what is written on web page. I am more concerned about battery.
Didn't order it yet... Still trying to resist temptation... Wife won't be happy if I buy. Not sure if it is worth to test my marriage ;)

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I know only what is written on web page. I am more concerned about battery.
Didn't order it yet... Still trying to resist temptation... Wife won't be happy if I buy. Not sure if it is worth to test my marriage ;)
You can't fit a battery directly to the carbon frame. \you'll need to make a custom arrangement somehow. Also, the chainwheel is very small, so you'd have to check whether there's enough clearance for the motor to fit inside the chainstay.

Why do you need a frame like that?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
You can't fit a battery directly to the carbon frame. \you'll need to make a custom arrangement somehow. Also, the chainwheel is very small, so you'd have to check whether there's enough clearance for the motor to fit inside the chainstay.

Why do you need a frame like that?
It is aluminum frame I think.
I was thinking about mid drive conversion for a while to ride with my son on more challenging mtb tracks. Full suspension would be a nice bonus.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It is aluminum frame I think.
I was thinking about mid drive conversion for a while to ride with my son on more challenging mtb tracks. Full suspension would be a nice bonus.
The description says carbon!

OK. you linked two different ones. the first one says carbon. the second shows alloy.

You'd have to grind off the lower to lugs for the chain-guard or whatever they're for, then you need to get some PF BB adapters, then you need to figure out a way to stop the motor rotating around the BB. The BB arrangement will hold the motor vertically below the BB, which leaves it in a very vulnerable position.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Az.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
The description says carbon!

OK. you linked two different ones. the first one says carbon. the second shows alloy.
My bad, I posted link do different version of this bike. I am thinking about buying frame (2020 version) and converting it with bafang mid drive.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Description info from that link.
  • Material 6061-T6 double butted Aluminium
  • Rear Travel: 140mm
  • Wheel Size: 27.5"
  • Recommended Shock Sag (Measured seated): 30% (15mm)
  • Shock Size: 185mm x 50mm
  • Sizing: S, M, L, XL
  • Headtube: 44-56mm Tapered Semi-Integrated
  • Headset: ZS44/28.6 - ZS56/40
  • Seatpost: 31.6mm
  • Seat Clamp: 34.9mm
  • Bottom Bracket: BSA Threaded, 73mm Shell
  • Rear Hub: 148mm x 12mm
  • Rear Axle: 180mm Length, 13mm Thread Length, M12xP1.0 Thread Pitch
  • Hanger: Vitus Hanger 2
  • Chain Guide: ISCG 05
  • Brake Mount: Post Mount, 180mm
I recently picked up a new pike select plus and a new pro 5 rear wheel, both 27.5". I've a nice new pair Hope Tech 3 V2's also in need of a home.

Could cobble up a spare non Erider with only a few other bits, many of which I've got.
Hope these dont sell out too quickly, bit of mulling to do.

Only downside is XL would be a better fit and they've only got large or small..

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
My bad, I posted link do different version of this bike. I am thinking about buying frame (2020 version) and converting it with bafang mid drive.
I saw that afterwards, so edited my post and added other things. The picture shows a PF BB. AndyBike says BSA. What's going on?

OK looked again and zoomed in shows BSA BB

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
You'd have to grind off the lower to lugs for the chain-guard or whatever they're for, then you need to get some PF BB adapters, then you need to figure out a way to stop the motor rotating around the BB. The BB arrangement will hold the motor vertically below the BB, which leaves it in a very vulnerable position.
Right... Sounds like a lot of problems ahead. Perhaps I better take a step back and maybe consider converting my vintage hard tail.

Thanks

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Some cracking deals on Vitus bikes at the moment

Has anyone ever converted a 3 speed Nexus hub geared bike with a Bafang 250w BBS01 ?

There's a great deal on one for 260 quid

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I did, a few years ago. It's perfect for flat-ish terrains.

Reactions: egroover

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Some cracking deals on Vitus bikes at the moment

Has anyone ever converted a 3 speed Nexus hub geared bike with a Bafang 250w BBS01 ?

There's a great deal on one for 260 quid
Why not front hub conversion? Better option IMO

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Why not front hub conversion? Better option IMO
Yep, whatever floats yer boat. I was wondering about mid drives on the basis of how durable the Nexus 3 speed when paired with a mid drive. Plus I have a Bafang BBS01 mid drive as a spare.
If it munches the geared hub with the extra grunt then its a non starter