Walk mode.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Have you ever used yours? Did you even know that you had one? Do you have one, or are you not sure? Do you know how to activate it? It certainly beats pushing on the steeper, unrideable ascents! :)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: VictoryV

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yes I use it just about every time I go to GF's house. There is a steep ramp (or two depending on route) from an underpass up onto a bridge. The KT controller gives about 30 W in walk mode. Don't bother trying when you are sitting on the bike, it isn't enough to get moving :)

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
How it it activated?
Those 2 bikes differ. But each is activated by pressing and holding a single button. I suppose that you could just use the throttle if you have one fitted.

Best to check the manual or the website pertaining to your bike first. Or just go trial and error. :)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
On KT LCD bikes you hold down the "down" button some LCDs have a dedicated walk button (some Decathlon bikes).

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it depends what state in the usa it is in as in some it is classed as a throttle it is still there but turned off buy bosch at factory.

tho if you take the bike to a state where it is allowed the dealer can turn it on ;)

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
This is what got me thinking about walk mode.. :D

View attachment 21294

Do the more expensive eMTB's have a walk mode?
I believe that most centre drive, German e-bikes have walk mode. But you need to have the bike in the highest gear and be prepared to press the walk mode button until you get severe cramp in your thumb and continually reposition your power controller.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I believe that most centre drive, German e-bikes have walk mode. But you need to have the bike in the highest gear and be prepared to press the walk mode button until you get severe cramp in your thumb and continually reposition your power controller.
That is a long walk! :) Seriously I would only use it on short ramps.

• Informative

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Why not just buy a Chinese bike?
Serious question. I would not look at a German bike.
Yes . I didn't either . But if I was a real mountain biker maybe I would. However I'm not and there were just too many restrictions.

I like that my bike can easily go up in to the 20mph range with a touch of a button.I like the thumb throttle for use as and when. And I like my motor being nicely sealed and maintenance free.

• Agree

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
I thought the crank drive bikes where mountain climbers ? I haven't found anywhere the 36v xiongda 2 speed won't get up.

Sent from my D101 using Tapatalk

• Informative

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Are there any reasons for that guys?
For me the German bikes are too locked in as well as overpriced. Look at all the posts with people trying to replace batteries or get motors repaired. Better the generic Chinese approach. 'New controller sir? No problem, take your pick'.

Wifes Big Bear has walk assist, but you have to hold the button down. Totally impractical. Not sure if my Ezee has it or not, never needed it.

C

Cyclezee

Wifes Big Bear has walk assist, but you have to hold the button down. Totally impractical. Not sure if my Ezee has it or not, never needed it.
Hi Ben, your eZee kit does have walk assist, to set this switch the console to mode 2 and the throttle only assist to 6Km/h.

• Informative

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Not sure if my Ezee has it or not, never needed it.
Fair enough on regular light bike use. You may never need it. But, as someone pointed out on my youtube video comments, it may be useful with full panniers when touring.

I find it hard to believe that, especially for those that ride in extreme uphill mountain bike conditions, that there's no walking assist facility. Or maybe they just don't know it's there or how it operates.

It's probably easily overlooked when you're shelling out £3-4k, and sometimes much more, on a nice shiny new hill killer. However, as the man that pushed his ebike 2 km up a hill outlined, it will become a very important issue later, when the hill kills you back. :D

What's informative and useful here is the learning part. Firstly finding out if your bike has it and then how it works.. And then someone telling you how to work it properly, without the need to keep holding down the button. :)

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
For me the German bikes are too locked in as well as overpriced. Look at all the posts with people trying to replace batteries or get motors repaired. Better the generic Chinese approach. 'New controller sir? No problem, take your pick'.

I like the Chinese approach where the customer is King.
If you want a throttle, you can have one, just that you must fit it yourself.
On the other hand, it appears that Germans don't really sell you a bike in the sense that they reserve part of it to themselves (The electronics) and only they can repair it.
You are not the total owner, just pay their bills.