WARNING ebiketuning.com selling useless tools

MJS_1066

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 24, 2020
My 2020 Cube Acid Hybrid One 500 has developed a creak from the crank area when pedalling hard. A quick google seems to indicate loose motor mount bolts being the culprit so I thought I'd torque them back to spec.
I ordered this package from ebiketuning.com to remove the crank arms and lockring to get to the mounting bolts:
First of all the head of the crank puller doesn't fit through the hole at the end of the crank arm, fortuately I didn't damage anything before I figured out what was happening. After going out and buying a different puller that would fit, I then found out that the 'ebikespider' tool doesn't fit on my lockring either. A total waste of time and money and still have to cough up more money to get a tool for the lockring. Let the buyer beware!

Attachments

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
My 2020 Cube Acid Hybrid One 500 has developed a creak from the crank area when pedalling hard. A quick google seems to indicate loose motor mount bolts being the culprit so I thought I'd torque them back to spec.
I ordered this package from ebiketuning.com to remove the crank arms and lockring to get to the mounting bolts:
First of all the head of the crank puller doesn't fit through the hole at the end of the crank arm, fortuately I didn't damage anything before I figured out what was happening. After going out and buying a different puller that would fit, I then found out that the 'ebikespider' tool doesn't fit on my lockring either. A total waste of time and money and still have to cough up more money to get a tool for the lockring. Let the buyer beware!
Sorry, this comes across as:-

WARNING useless ebiker buys cheap tools for earlier (small sprocket) Bosch ebike system then bleats when they don't fit their later (large sprocket) motor type.

I don't KNOW this and I MAY be wrong as this is based on just two minutes internet research.

In any case surely this isn't a major first world problem? Just send the tools back (as long as they are unused) and get a refund.

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

MJS_1066

May 24, 2020
Can you show me on the advert for these tools where it mentions they're for an older generation of ebikes?

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Can you show me on the advert for these tools where it mentions they're for an older generation of ebikes?
Sure, first sentence in description:-
You can use the EBikeSpider (=Electric Bike Spider Tool) to easily loosen and tighten the lock ring of Bosch Classic engines (big Spider) and Bosch Active / Performance and CX engines (small Spider).

• Agree

MJS_1066

May 24, 2020
Sure, first sentence in description:-
You can use the EBikeSpider (=Electric Bike Spider Tool) to easily loosen and tighten the lock ring of Bosch Classic engines (big Spider) and Bosch Active / Performance and CX engines (small Spider).
So my motor isn't a Bosch Performance even though it says 'Bosch Performance' right on the cover?

Attachments

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
So my motor isn't a Bosch Performance even though it says 'Bosch Performance' right on the cover?
I've not seen your bike but I'd guess it's a later Bosch Performance with a LARGE sprocket rather than an earlier Bosch Performance with a SMALL sprocket.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
I have nothing to apologize for. If anything, I should receive an apology for falling victim to a misleading advert.
Have you got a "(small Spider)" bike then? Thought not.

MJS_1066

May 24, 2020
Have you got a "(small Spider)" bike then? Thought not.

Well they sold me a crank puller that won't pull cranks and a lockring tool that won't lock rings. If that's not misleading then I don't know what is. Also the advert makes no mention of which generation motor it works with and the fact it has two different sizezs sort of implies it will work with any.

Reactions: jimriley

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Well they sold me a crank puller that won't pull cranks and a lockring tool that won't lock rings. If that's not misleading then I don't know what is. Also the advert makes no mention of which generation motor it works with and the fact it has two different sizezs sort of implies it will work with any.
Absolute twaddle, you are just putting a different interpretation to justify your position.
Mate, just accept that you didn't properly research the issue and are now trying to blame someone else for lack of effort / knowledge / inexperience / whatever and just digging a bigger hole.
Anyway like I said "surely this isn't a major first world problem? Just send the tools back (as long as they are unused) and get a refund." They'd probably refund however worse case is you've lost the price of a round of drinks, accept you got it wrong and move on.

• Agree

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
When the tool you brought was first manufactured it fitted the motors available at that time, since then Bosch have made vastly different motors but only subtle changes in there name.
its no different to any other industry, designs change throughout the years but the product name stays the same. Try buying a new part for your car without knowing what year it was made

MJS_1066

May 24, 2020
Absolute twaddle, you are just putting a different interpretation to justify your position.
Mate, just accept that you didn't properly research the issue and are now trying to blame someone else for lack of effort / knowledge / inexperience / whatever and just digging a bigger hole.
Anyway like I said "surely this isn't a major first world problem? Just send the tools back (as long as they are unused) and get a refund." They'd probably refund however worse case is you've lost the price of a round of drinks, accept you got it wrong and move on.
Nonsense, I'm not doing anything of the sort. You added all that in a pathetic attempt to be smug, accusing me a libel even. I couldn't care less about wasting a few quid, I merely made the original post as a warning to other users. The crank puller for example, would have ripped the threads out of the crank arms or wrecked the motor spindle if I hadn't realized it was the wrong size and stopped tightening it. The website makes clear which generation motors it's dongles work on, so I thought it safe to assume they would do the same for their tools.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Nonsense, I'm not doing anything of the sort. You added all that in a pathetic attempt to be smug, accusing me a libel even. I couldn't care less about wasting a few quid, I merely made the original post as a warning to other users. The crank puller for example, would have ripped the threads out of the crank arms or wrecked the motor spindle if I hadn't realized it was the wrong size and stopped tightening it. The website makes clear which generation motors it's dongles work on, so I thought it safe to assume they would do the same for their tools.
Well your overall position is in the minority compared to the other posters in this thread so far.

What I find interesting is the psychology here.

Mistake made, comes on a public forum making unfounded accusations, attempts to justify again and again, won't accept they are wrong in any way, it's all somebody else's fault, won't take any responsibility themselves.

Try some googling of 'never my fault' and 'not my fault' and you'll begin to understand where you are.

Also I know nothing about ebiketuning.com but what I do know is the majority of retailers in the ebike market appear to be small businesses, in a relatively new market doing their best to make a living and fulfil a market desire. And that's in a world where right now, with a global pandemic, things are even more difficult. Inflammatory headlines such as yours, even if it were true, do nothing to help those businesses.

MJS_1066

May 24, 2020
Well your overall position is in the minority compared to the other posters in this thread so far.

What I find interesting is the psychology here.

Mistake made, comes on a public forum making unfounded accusations, attempts to justify again and again, won't accept they are wrong in any way, it's all somebody else's fault, won't take any responsibility themselves.

Try some googling of 'never my fault' and 'not my fault' and you'll begin to understand where you are.

Also I know nothing about ebiketuning.com but what I do know is the majority of retailers in the ebike market appear to be small businesses, in a relatively new market doing their best to make a living and fulfil a market desire. And that's in a world where right now, with a global pandemic, things are even more difficult. Inflammatory headlines such as yours, even if it were true, do nothing to help those businesses.
Cool story, Sigmund. Hope you had fun writing that wall of text. The fact remains that the advert is unclear, or I wouldn't have jolly well bought the wrong tools, would I?

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Cool story, Sigmund. Hope you had fun writing that wall of text. The fact remains that the advert is unclear, or I wouldn't have jolly well bought the wrong tools, would I?
As I said before Have you got a "(small Spider)" bike then? Thought not.