Wisper We've bundled eBike security and I think we are the first!

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Trackers to me are pointless, 1. they can be found and 2. They don't stop it being stolen.

Also yet another app you have to pay for, which is pointless when the company goes bust.

Just fit an Air Tag
An Air Tag is a great idea and we tried and tested them. The problem is that they dont tell the full story and are intermittent once the bike is out of range of your personal smart phone Bluetooth. Of course they can also be found by the thief. The app and data costs £2.50 a month after the first year so not a huge investment. If the company does go but we can simply move the data to another provider.

Like the Air Tag, they can be found but you would need to know where to look and to remove ours you would need to have the keys to the battery lock.

Of course you are 100% correct they dont stop the bike being pinched but as soon as the bike is moved they send an audible alarm to your smart phone and than show you exactly where the bike is so the chances of getting your bike back are improved dramatically. And if you purchase the insurance and recovery deal you can be 100% assured that if we dont get your bike back we will supply you with a new one.

The other big benefit of the recovery insurance is you personally dont have to confront the thief, the BackPedal lads will do that for you and bring your bike home.

Thanks for your interest and comments.

All the best, David

Reactions: Bikes4two

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Get and use Pinhead locks or fill the allen bolt with glue

Lidl have cameras have you checked, or the car park does
It's a pals bike not mine, nothing of note on Lidl CCTV and cops didn't give a ****.

I mentioned locking nuts etc. or even rounding the bolt to him to stop it happening again.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
If you have a couple of 'handy' or at least looking the part pals and a van at hand and the time to chase down your bike if its stolen, a diy approach with an airtag (bleeper removed see yt) and a simple 2g gprs tracker and a sim card is do-able, but its not a workable solution for everyone. Then if you can track it down but its hidden from view waiting for plod (the expedient approach) might not be much fun either..

Im sure it will be a very popular add on to a whisper e-cycle purchase, I hope a more competitively priced aftermarket option for non whisper bikes is on the horizon too.

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
It's certainly a think twice investment but a massive plus not to have to accept an insurer's replacement.
I am happy to share the contacts and knowledge if you would like to offer the same.
@Wisper Thanks for stepping up, I really hope you can reach some arrangement. <Blue sky> If only the brands claiming fire safety would offer to open source their BMS designs "to save lives" - someone's missing a PR coup.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
5. For complete peace of mind. If your bike is unrecoverable after 14 days, we will send you a new Wisper bike to the same specification, we will even deliver it to your door free of charge!

This covers bikes up to £3,500 in value.
Won't a big 60p space blanket or two over the bike block GPS and cellular connections, rather like an anti-static bag? How resistant is the GPS module to electrocution through the frame? How many times will you replace a stolen bike, if unrecoverable? Do you have the full T&Cs for us to view? Someone without ethics could have their bike "Stolen" multiple times, tracker disabled, bike replaced and the original bike resold?

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
can i have the gps location so i can fire a missile at it and just buy a new one. :p
View attachment 55194
Or a 007 Bond ejector saddle.

Not the usual that propels the entire saddle up ,launching the thieving git into the air, but where the post is fired up through the cover to a depth of 6"

That will make his eyes water :oops:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Won't a big 60p space blanket or two over the bike block GPS and cellular connections, rather like an anti-static bag? How resistant is the GPS module to electrocution through the frame? How many times will you replace a stolen bike, if unrecoverable? Do you have the full T&Cs for us to view? Someone without ethics could have their bike "Stolen" multiple times, tracker disabled, bike replaced and the original bike resold?
Yes that may work, however the thief would need to be careful not to move the bike before covering it and of course they could never take it off without giving the game away unless it was inside a container. I think the chances of the thief having a space blanket with them and not falling into any of the above traps would be pretty unlikely.

All the best, David

CCebiker

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2024
When I bought this, the terms from Sunday state that there will be a deduction of 20% in the bike's value after year 1, then I think it's 10% and 5% following years. I was disappointed to see this in the paperwork I was sent the day my bike was delivered as the sales info makes it seem like it was covered new for old. Backpedal told me it will be £170 per year to continue to cover my £2500 bike after the first year (with the depreciation each year). I'm not sure it's been worth it as others will cover me for the year for about the same, without depreciation each year, and covers stolen parts, accident, 3d party etc. This only covers theft of the full bike, and will require me to keep up a subscription to the GPS service and backpedal in order to keep my insurance valid. I started thinking about this - if I have insurance and a GPS tracking service that recovers 8/10 bikes then why is my insurance just as expensive, with less cover, than other providers who don't require me to have the tracker? I still think the idea is cool and I'm hoping it will prove it's worth but it's day 5 and my GPS alarm app hasn't been working properly, not alerting me when the bike is moved, and now the whole app has crashed. If I'm supposed to have the gps active in order to keep my insurance valid, then am I even covered if it's nicked right now? I can't access the app to pass on any info if it was stolen.

The terms of Sunday's locking requirements are also way more strict and confusing than others I've seen considering they don't cover stolen parts.

Attachments

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I still think the idea is cool and I'm hoping it will prove it's worth but it's day 5 and my GPS alarm app hasn't been working properly, not alerting me when the bike is moved, and now the whole app has crashed. If I'm supposed to have the gps active in order to keep my insurance valid, then am I even covered if it's nicked right now? I can't access the app to pass on any info if it was stolen.
Can Wisper track your stolen bike, or do they leave it up to you and your crashed app?

CCebiker

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2024
Can Wisper track your stolen bike, or do they leave it up to you and your crashed app?
From what I have seen and understood, it is all through backpedal. I received a gps tracker package with my bike (tracker already in the frame). I had to download an app called PowUnity and put in the code on the box, and go near the bike for it to connect. The info from backpedal says that in the event of a theft, I have to go into the app and grant backpedal permission to view the bike location. The app tracks all movement and miles travelled each day as well as the gps battery level. It worked the first few days when I inevitably forgot to turn the alarm off before moving my bike (although it only seemed to alarm when my bike was powered on, not rolled down the drive several metres before turning on. I'd have to test this again).

The app crashed this morning when I went to open it to disable the alarm (I keep forgetting). I had turned on my bike and the alarm notification popped up on my phone. It played very briefly on my phone. When I opened the app it was frozen on the logo screen and I was unable to get it to load to disable the alarm (it was no longer playing though). I had to leave eventually, app still frozen and alarm still active but not playing on my phone.

I've reinstalled the app twice today and it finally worked when I opened it 20 mins ago. Before that it was just stuck on the logo. It has tracked my cycle and miles today, despite the app not working for me, so that's somewhat reassuring. HOWEVER, not once on my trip to a friend's house, the pharmacy or from the pharmacy and home, did my phone alert me to my bike being moved despite the alarm still being active. It has a little on/off switch you tap. When the app loaded again, it was on the "on" side of the switch as it had been in the morning and presumably all day.

So....

AntonyC

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2022
Surrey
To be fair Backpedal was described as a bike recovery service, the new for old element is Wisper's unique offer to replace if not recovered.

Insurance terms are never good reading. Would @Wisper be willing to accumulate clarifications from the insurers and provide them when offering the package, in a bid to lessen the pain?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
@CCebiker's recent post about how the GPS tracker is not alerting via the app when the bike has been moved, has disappeared.

CCebiker

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2024
To be fair Backpedal was described as a bike recovery service, the new for old element is Wisper's unique offer to replace if not recovered.

Insurance terms are never good reading. Would @Wisper be willing to accumulate clarifications from the insurers and provide them when offering the package, in a bid to lessen the pain?
Wispers offer to replace is, as far as I can tell from the documentation and David's reply earlier, provided by Sundays insurance. Which is provided in tandem with backpedal. Sundays insurance policy states the depreciation value.

I was just writing an email to wispers to ask for clarification on this, since their sales page says *they* will replace the bike with a new one and free shipping. If it's in the first year, then I guess it's somewhat accurate since the 20% depreciation applies after the first year, but I'm disappointed that I had bought something that seemed like it would ensure a new replacement. And I'd like to know who is responsible for fulfilling this and what the terms are (like where and how the bike was locked etc).

CCebiker

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2024
@CCebiker's recent post about how the GPS tracker is not alerting via the app when the bike has been moved, has disappeared.
I edited an emoji out of it, and now it says "This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors." So I'm not sure if that was the reason?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I edited an emoji out of it, and now it says "This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors." So I'm not sure if that was the reason?
I don't know, but object to the accusation of abnormality.

I expect it'll be dealt with by a moderator tomorrow morning. Long posts by new members do seem to get held for approval.

Last edited:

CCebiker

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2024
Well, it's weird that my post about the GPS app not working is still not approved. I've been posting on the other thread just fine this morning. Hopefully someone approves it soon so people know my experience.

Anyway, I have more questions about this insurance policy and I'm honestly starting to feel like a fool for even taking out the whole package.

I paid £299 for the tracker, backpedal service and Sundays insurance via Wispers when I ordered my bike in December. I was awaiting it getting the full throttle certification so it arrived at the end of January. None of this is to say anything negative about Wispers bikes. I have a minor fault on the bike which I'm sure will be resolved, but otherwise the bike is awesome.

However the insurance requirements from Sundays are super strict, to the point of being impractical. I don't know how anyone is going to get a sold secure gold lock around all of the bike and QR wheels and into an isofit loop in a covered boot in a locked car, for example. The requirements for locking in your own shed or garage are also extremely detailed and leave room for user error, invalidating the claim. For example, my metal shed is on a wooden floor base, not concrete, so I was trying to get clarification on this. When I asked Wispers for their advice on locking the step through bike when out and about, the response I got didn't make sense and directly contradicted Sundays terms (cables that come with SS gold locks are not approved to be used to secure QR wheels).

Sundays offer comprehensive insurance separately from backpedal. One guy says he was paying £300 a year for a £6000 bike on road.cc but struggling to meet the requirements.

I paid £299 to cover my £2500 ebike (including a year of backpedal retrieval & the GPS tracker) but the insurance that comes with backpedal is not fully comprehensive. Only covering theft of the full bike, or damage to parts in an attempt to steal the whole bike. But I'm required to lock the front QR with a SS gold LOCK (not additional cable) in order to meet the requirements. This is impractical on my shape and style of bike and I'd probably need two locks to keep it secure. In some places I'm ok with the risk of my front wheel being nicked , since I'm the one who would pay for replacement. But by not locking it, I would invalidate the insurance if the full bike was stolen. I am still awaiting a response from Sundays via backpedal from last Friday about this. I asked for suitable ways to lock my step through bike.

I was told it will be £170 a year after the first year, by backpedal.

On backpedal's own website, I'm quoted £13 a month cover with one month free over a year. £143. Retrieval and insurance. It says the live GPS tracker costs £149 plus £50 installation. So altogether I got £342 "value" from Wisper for £299.

But if I can get fully comprehensive insurance from Sundays for £118 a year (crash damage, malicious damage, vandalism, stolen parts etc covered) or with additional personal injury and liability cover for £142 a year then why get this backpedal package at all? What's the point in bike retrieval if I have no cover of my bike in a crash? Or mugging while it's unlocked? What was the benefit of paying £150+ for the tracker? If they are getting 9 out of 10 bikes back, why is the ongoing annual cost for me greater than comprehensive insurance cover?

The terms are still ridiculously strict for Sundays insurance compared to Laka for example, but the price difference is notable between the package received via backpedal and the one straight from Sundays. The comprehensive cover from Sundays does not have any requirement to keep your tracker battery above 20%, or to even have a tracker. I'm not sure how strict they are with that requirement but if I've not been well enough to go out on my bike for a few weeks and my battery is in the house, I'd hate to have an insurance claim denied because my tracker battery was too low. Clarification on this is needed as well as being unable to access the GPS app at times.

I could have paid £142 for 12 months cover straight from Sundays and and had BETTER cover. (Still don't recommend them though)

I've emailed backpedal to cancel my insurance with them & Sundays, if at all possible to do it separately from the tracking service, as I already have the tracker installed.

I got cover from laka for £240 that will actually cover me at home without my shed having a 3 point locking system, without having to isofix the bike and front wheel to the inside of my locked car, and that will allow me to park the bike to go into the shop with only one sold secure gold lock (as I cannot reasonably secure the bike and the front QR wheel to an immovable object with just one SS gold lock in the way Sundays terms require).

The only thing I like about the tracker is that it should, in theory, set off an alarm if my bike is moved, which might be handy for catching someone in the act but am I really going to confront thieves? (Plus it didn't work at all yesterday as I shared in my unapproved post)

Ok well that's my long rant. I feel like an eejit for taking the package when a cheaper insurance deal would leave me with more peace of mind, and more ease of use of my bike. I'd read a lot of good things about Wispers and their bikes and customer services, but I think in terms of this package, it's maybe not the same kind of standard they have been praised for before. I've now ended up spending more just to have cover that I can relax about. I'll update if I manage to get a refund for part of the package.

Any more questions just ask, I've got loads more paperwork/screenshots etc I can share for anyone considering it.

CCebiker

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2024
Backpedal have replied and said that of the £143 paid to them by Wisper, £37.80 was for the insurance and will be refunded.

The rest is for their recovery service for the rest of the year.

I'm glad I can finally use my bike with peace of mind, with Laka's cover now. But I feel a right idiot and have wasted money I didn't really have to spare. This was a huge purchase for me, hence reading the terms so thoroughly.

Reactions: guerney

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi CC Biker we are with you regarding the change to the locking requirements. We are challenging it now.

As you can see from the costs we are offering this as a service to our customers, we do not make a profit. We pay our dealers 10% to administer the package. As a matter of interest, we also pay £143.00 for the recovery and insurance cover but sell it for £100.00 when bought together with the tracker... and we add the old for new cover if not recovered after 14 days... free of charge.

You say... "I think in terms of this package, it's maybe not the same kind of standard they (Wisper) have been praised for before".

I'm not sure that I understand how we could offer more.

Any ideas as to why the post has been removed? We certainly were not involved and could not ask for a post to be removed even if we wanted to.

All the best, David

Last edited:
Reactions: FastFreddy2