Wisper We've bundled eBike security and I think we are the first!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Before O2 disabled them, my cheapo GPS tracker light used to send me texts whenever it detected a "Shock", ie knock - this was a feature which could be turned off/on as required, and started operating 5 minutes after the light was sent a text switching it on, "noshock" to switch it off. I think this is a great feature which could be built into future bikes. Although this light can't send texts anymore because of the sacrificing of frequency bands to make room for 5/6/7/8/etc. G, I can still track my bike using the app over the internet, and for the moment at least this tracking appears to be free despite the device using data via a PAYG SIM. Sending texts to the thing used to cost 10p each, worked out at less than £10 a year overall. To get texted a Google Maps link of it's location, I'd simply send a text. If I got hopelesly lost, or wanted to note the location of a pothole or dead animal on the road for the council to deal with, I could get that texted to my phone by pressing a button on the side. I've lost access to functions which can only be activated by it receiving texts, but at least tracking works (for now). This was an excellent GPS tracking device, inexpensive to operate communicating using texts, didn't need an data plan.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Real-Time-Waterproof-Overspeed-Subscription-Motorbike/dp/B09X2Z1CYT/

Might try one of their newer hidden versions.

Last edited:

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Trackers, GPS , really !!!!!!!!!! pointless sorry

I would rather stop the bike being stolen to begin with

Me I would rather spend the money on another lock to supplement what I have rather than hope someone finds a frame or a few bits a week later ROFL

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Before O2 disabled them, my cheapo GPS tracker light used to send me texts whenever it detected a "Shock", ie knock - this was a feature which could be turned off/on as required, and started operating 5 minutes after the light was sent a text switching it on, "noshock" to switch it off. I think this is a great feature which could be built into future bikes. Although this light can't send texts anymore because of the sacrificing of frequency bands to make room for 5/6/7/8/etc. G, I can still track my bike using the app over the internet, and for the moment at least this tracking appears to be free despite the device using data via a PAYG SIM. Sending texts to the thing used to cost 10p each, worked out at less than £10 a year overall. To get texted a Google Maps link of it's location, I'd simply send a text. If I got hopelesly lost, or wanted to note the location of a pothole or dead animal on the road for the council to deal with, I could get that texted to my phone by pressing a button on the side. I've lost access to functions which can only be activated by it receiving texts, but at least tracking works (for now). This was an excellent GPS tracking device, inexpensive to operate communicating using texts, didn't need an data plan.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Real-Time-Waterproof-Overspeed-Subscription-Motorbike/dp/B09X2Z1CYT/

View attachment 56375

Might try one of their newer hidden versions.
A little update to the above post - a couple of months later, it's working again! As before, I can program the GPS bicycle tracker rear light... it sends GPS location and a Google Maps link via text, when I send "G123456" by SMS. I can activate tamper alert by sending "shock123456", disable with "noshock123456". SMS services even work again using Giffgaff/O2 my substantially dumber old HTC s710 smartphone. I have no idea why Giffgaff's SMS services stopped or resumed for old devices, or newer devices using old networks. They're supposed to be sacrificing old networks for 5/6/n G.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Trackers, GPS , really !!!!!!!!!! pointless sorry

I would rather stop the bike being stolen to begin with
You can't ride your bike locked with D locks, but you can be mugged. If my bike had better hill climbing performance, I might have been robbed - judging by the unhinged screaming of "Shall we grab ya? SHALL WE GRAB YA?!?!?? HAHAHAHA!", the occupants of the car and their mates giving chase on foot, were considering the possibility. Fortunately my bike doesn't look like much... but if I had been mugged, I would have rounded up a posse to raid their lair within an hour, after I'd obtained my bike's GPS location, and robbed them of their money guns and drugs to trade for a better looking bike at Cashconverters or Cashgenerators - they buy anything, their signages say so.

Last edited: