What Bafang this time?

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
Hiya All;);):), Having converted one of my bikes with the Bafang BBS01b 250w I am a born again cyclist. My old legs no longer struggle up the many hills in Bristol as the motor takes the strain(even got up Redcatch without stopping) so my second bike is going to be upgraded too. So do i get the same BBS01 250w again from Eclipse(£370 + post) or should i go for the BBS02 250w from Em3ev(£422 + £57 post) that price includes a 42t bling ring so near enough the same price excluding postage, but i will probably get clobbered for vat etc on top of that. What are the advantages of the BBS02 over the BBS01 both 250w. I have the programming lead and the BBS01 doesn't like being set to 18 amps, i get a error 11 every time even though it says its rated up to 20 amps. Is the BBS02 likely to be more tolerant of increased amps? the other alternative seems to be to just buy a new 350w controller. I have even considered the Tongshen TS2 250w but rejected it because nobody seems to stock spares for it plus i cant find the reprogramming lead and software for it(it is available but only in China it seems). So its really down to BBS01 vs BBS02 what do you think? which would you buy and why? :confused:

PS Both the Bafang prices include the DPC14 colour display.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
What are the advantages of the BBS02 over the BBS01 both 250w.
A boatload of extra torque, meaning it will climb just about anything when combined with a 42T chainring.
Is the BBS02 likely to be more tolerant of increased amps?
Definitely. I've been running a BBS02 25A (750w) for thousands of miles with no issues. Mine has been programmed for max performance too!
So its really down to BBS01 vs BBS02 what do you think? which would you buy and why? :confused:
The BBS01 would be fine in a commuting role, where the compromise is between power and energy consumption. The BBS02 is more robust, which means you can tweak the programming settings, without risk of damaging the controller or drivetrain.

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
Hi Fordulike, So a 250 watt BBS02, which is legal i.e. its marked 250w can more easily be upgraded via the programming lead than the BBS01. I know that the only way to upgrade the BBS01 is to buy the 350w controller and swap it out. But i would be pi$$3d if i bought the BBS02 and found the same situation. In truth this is why i am having this conversation as i want to appear to be adhering to legal requirements and yet having more power than i should. I dont want a scooter/moped but i do want my cycling experience to be assisted to an enjoyable level to compensate for my aging/failing body(sad init lol)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
From EM3ev:

"Bafang 36V 250-500W BBS02 Ebike Kit

We no longer have any kits marked as 250W, but we can provide 250W labels. "

Just buy a 500 W BBS02 and print your own label.

You could try Woosh's GSM with external controller. It should handle 18 amps, they tested it at Southend with a BMS Battery 48 V HL battery with 18 A internal controller, that is a healthy 860 W peak. As it is at 15 A 36 V unrestricted it will do 45 km/h on the flat. It has the advantage of taking all the bafang bolt on spiders and chainrings.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Pretty sure Brighton ebike have the bbs02 both marked as 250w and software restricted to that as well

Nothing to stop you buying a programme cable and tweaking thoughb!

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Hi Fordulike, So a 250 watt BBS02, which is legal i.e. its marked 250w can more easily be upgraded via the programming lead than the BBS01. I know that the only way to upgrade the BBS01 is to buy the 350w controller and swap it out. But i would be pi$$3d if i bought the BBS02 and found the same situation. In truth this is why i am having this conversation as i want to appear to be adhering to legal requirements and yet having more power than i should. I dont want a scooter/moped but i do want my cycling experience to be assisted to an enjoyable level to compensate for my aging/failing body(sad init lol)
I have a feeling that the 250w marked BBS02's are actually 500w or 750w versions mechanically, but just software detuned (for want of another word).

Therefore, there's a big scope for massively increasing torque, whilst keeping a 15mph cut-off. Whether this set-up is legal, I'm not sure.

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
I have a feeling that the 250w marked BBS02's are actually 500w or 750w versions mechanically, but just software detuned (for want of another word).

Therefore, there's a big scope for massively increasing torque, whilst keeping a 15mph cut-off. Whether this set-up is legal, I'm not sure.

Definitely not legal once you reprogram it but as long as the motor is marked 250watt the old bill wont go any further unless you give them reason too. Basically don't go 30 mph without pedaling etc.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
The bottom line is, a BBS02 correctly programmed with a few parameter tweaks and a 15mph cut-off, will climb most hills at 15mph.