What conversion kit

Jowwy

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2018
What conversion kit would you put on this frame and groupset

its running sram etap in a 1x11 configuration and hydraulic brakes....................

so just want motor, battery and controller, not interested in brake sensors or throttle control

Thanks

20180611_171911.jpg

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
48V TSDZ2
(I'll be selling them soon)

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Yes, I would agree Woosh, nice lightweight torque sensing mid drive should work well. Shame to lose that nice rear rim with a hub motor.

Jowwy

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2018
Yes, I would agree Woosh, nice lightweight torque sensing mid drive should work well. Shame to lose that nice rear rim with a hub motor.
dont worry about the carbon rims....already blew them out, so had to replace them :(

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I would suggest a small rear hub like a Q100, but they only come in 36 spoke, I think it's a nice touch to keep the rims matching for the cost of a set of spokes, but no good if you are running 28/32 hole rims.

Jowwy

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2018
I would suggest a small rear hub like a Q100, but they only come in 36 spoke, I think it's a nice touch to keep the rims matching for the cost of a set of spokes, but no good if you are running 28/32 hole rims.
would prefer mid drive system, to hub drive

if only bosch would sell their systems as kits

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
if only bosch would sell their systems as kits
Even if they did I'm sure the kit would be at least £1000+ and your frame would need major modification to fit the motor. Have you considered the Bafang BBS01 or GSM drives?

Jowwy

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2018
Even if they did I'm sure the kit would be at least £1000+ and your frame would need major modification to fit the motor. Have you considered the Bafang BBS01 or GSM drives?
i dont know any kits, i'm new to this ebike thing

thats why asked for advice..............at the moment i'm riding a cube acid pro 500, which i'm loving every minute of riding

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Would be a shame to spoil it with a kit.

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
Hmmm.. .the noise would put me off,

I've got one and its not noisy like on the vid. I also have 2 Bafang BBS01 250w and they sound the same(quiet) The only problem with the TSDS2 is the display doesn't show volts and because of that it doesn't get used much as i am insecure if i cant see how much battery i have left.

mark_44

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 29, 2018
Nice platform.

My first post here.

I've bought a not dissimilar (titanium?) bike to convert for a commuter.
Just received most of the parts and will be starting build this week.
After lots of research, I settled on Bafang BSSHD (with Lekkie bling ring).

I have a 48V 14Ah rack battery (4.5KG with rack) - which I fully intend to swap for the 52V 6Ah lunacycles mini cube when they are back in stock. Cant find anything else that compares weight/power. Unfortunately they can only ship to UK surface so 8-10 week delivery cant be improved on. I dont need much range, and mostly ride with minimal assistance - except when extra fun required!

Looking for a light (ish) stealthy install. The BSSHD is REALLY heavy - but at least the weight is in the right place

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Recently, I have been doing quite a bit of riding on my old Cytronex-powered Cannondale, having replaced the battery at 6 years old.

It never ceases to amaze me that so few forum members report having considered the Cytronex offerings, or if they do, they ignore them, frequently because the battery supplied won't do 50-60-70 miles between charges. In reality, how many contributors here actually ever do those sorts of mileage in one session or in one day?

Although I think the new Cytronex C1 system is a bit expensive, being able to fit it on to just about any bike with only 3.6 kgs being added by the kit makes it seem like a nice proposition to me. There are quite a few pretty decent bikes around (new) for several hundred pounds that come equipped with hydraulic discs and nice gearsets weighing in at around 10-11 kgs - add a couple or three more if a suspension fork is essential.

Most of my riding is on my Kalkhoff PC fully kitted at about 24 kgs or just under, so when I use the Cannondale, it really does ride nicely and is ever so chuckable at 17kgs all-up with my kit. In terms of speed, 14-15 mph is pretty easy to maintain on the Cytronex lightweight machine and it loses nothing really against the far more powerful Xion motor in the Kalkhoff. The Kalkhoff is better on very steep hills but not by a great deal.

To be fair, I have always thought the Cannondale machine is a better fit for me than the Kalkhoff PC although both have a range of adjustment. The former has always felt right, straight out of the box whereas the other bike has always seemed imperfect somehow in that regard.

I know it's perfectly possible, as some have done, to self-build a reasonably light EAPC for not a lot of money but most kits available tend to be fairly heavy with only a handful as light as that from Cytronex. Early reviews of the C1 kit seem to have attracted very positive comment from purchasers and after reflecting on my own first-generation Cytronex system, I think a lot more people would discover that a lightweight machine with the C1 kit is all the EAPC they will ever need.

One bonus with lightweight bikes is in the ease with which they can be attached and removed from a cycle rack without the need for a ramp which is essential for some owners.

Among other lightweight EAPCs, the G-Tech bike seems like a nice piece of kit (and very well priced!) but I don't think I'd like to tackle hilly terrain without at least a handful of gears to help.

I might get around to actually choosing another bike one of these days and fitting Mark Searles's product; in fact I have already identified two or three likely contenders at the right weight and the right price which, including the kit would work out around £1800 for c14 kgs all told. That is about half the weight of my first EAPC about 10 years ago.

Tom

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
OT, the TSDZ2 weighs 3.6kgs. A small battery, say 10S3P 36V 710AH battery would add 1.5kg to the kit. The whole thing costs rather a lot less than your C1 kit and a lot more capable in acceleration and hill climbing. It's neat and easy to fit too.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I ride a few times in the week and always aim to do one 60 - 75 miler. For me not enough hrs in a day or not enough days in a week. If only we had a 9 day week.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
OT, the TSDZ2 weighs 3.6kgs. A small battery, say 10S3P 36V 710AH battery would add 1.5kg to the kit. The whole thing costs rather a lot less than your C1 kit and a lot more capable in acceleration and hill climbing. It's neat and easy to fit too.
'Woosh', I don't care for your inference, 'your C1 kit' as (1) I don't have one and (2) My point was to do with light weight in EAPCs, something Cytronex has always promoted.

The kit you mention weighs 3.6 kgs, you claim, but you then mention another 1.5 kgs for a typical battery so that makes the equipment heavier than the C1 kit, does it not?

You go on to say that the kit you mention is 'a lot more capable in acceleration and hill climbing'. That may be so but how would you know that? Have you done a side-by-side comparative test perhaps?

Moreover, I conceded that I found the price of the C1 kit rather expensive but I think it only fair to give some consideration to a British product which provides all the EAPC that a great many riders will ever need without the excessive weight of most offerings on the market.

In my bike travels and in these pages, I have found a lot of anti-Cytronex rubbish put out by people, many of whom I'm sure have never even ridden a Cytronex offering, so I think a little bit of perspective and balance is required to set the record straight.

Unlike your good self, I have no vested interest in purveying any bicycle product and I have no particular fondness for Cytronex over other EAPCs. I do firmly believe, however, that the presence of electric bike sellers in the forum has skewed the market by the marketing of heavy machines, which account for the majority of EAPCs sold in the UK over the last decade. Sub-16 kg machines are as rare as hens' teeth but are not solely the province of Cytronex.

Is that fair comment?

Tom

Tigs

Just Joined
Aug 26, 2018
For what it is worth, my wife has a Bobbin with a Cytronex C1. She absolutely loves it. The bike looks fantastic, is very light and works well. She's not had any problems with it at all.

She's also got an electric MTB and that is a mid-drive and very heavy (21kg). But both bikes serve very different purposes.

I've joined here as I'm looking to convert an old carbon road bike for commuting. So I'm interested in what people would recommend. I like the Swytch idea but I'm put off by the difficulty of using a decent front light for country lanes as, from the pictures, the battery pack seems to be in the way. So hijacking the thread, I want:

1. A kit or something that all works together rather than worrying about how to join different things together with mis-matched connectors in a way that is waterproof. May be one day I'll do that but don't have the inclination at the moment.

2. To keep the fundamentals of the bike as they are. So to keep its weight low, to keep the existing gearing and integrated gear/brake levers.

3. To allow me to put effort into the ride (which is about 35k each way) when I want to but to help me when its dark, late at night and I'm knackered going uphill into a headwind. I'm not after a high electric top speed.

So where I've got to in terms of the big picture is a hub motor in the front wheel and a battery on the down tube or slung under the toptube. I know about Cytronex, I know about Swytch so I'm trying to find out what else there is. From my research so far, its looking like buying the motor and controller separate from the battery and then trying to work out how to sellotape everything together. If anyone has any suggestions for an off the shelf solution, I'd love to hear about them.