What e-bike for the Highlands?

TheGardener

Just Joined
Sep 1, 2012
Hello!

I've been trying to research electric bikes for the past week or two and have to admit to finding it all a bit of a bewildering minefield so thought I'd register and make a post to ask for some advice. It's been very helpful to read answers given to other people but everyone's requirements are a bit different so here I go with mine.

I'm looking for a e-bike for my sixty year-old husband so that, amongst other things, he can join my son and I (both disabled) on a ride with our roadworthy mobility scooters. The three of us have had a sit down and a brainstorm to get a list of things to consider but trying to go the step further and actually find a bike is something we'd really appreciate some advice on.

As a basic style, my husband would rather a full framed bike as opposed to a step-through frame. He likes the look of "a mountain bike looking" bike but doesn't actually need all the functionality of an actual mountain bike. As well as lanes we are hoping to tackle forestry tracks in the area so the bike will need to be able to traverse bumpy ground at gentle speeds but it's not going to be thrashed around mountain trails.

A comfortable riding posture is really important, would a bike with higher handlebars help with that? There'll be no need for "standing-up pedalling".

Ideally my husband's hoping to be able to pedal as much as possible on flat ground. He'd like to try pedalling up slightly steeper inclines with assistance but would appreciate significant help (or indeed the means not to pedal at all) on the more substantial hills in the area. His knees are a potential problem and we want to look after them! He did use to cycle some time ago but it was his knees that proved to be a problem. It would be ideal if, with the future in mind, the bike was actually able to be ridden as electric-only so he could join my son and I on a ride if weather permitted but his knees didn't.

Are disc brakes a requirement in our area? We are up in the Scottish Highlands and needless to say there's rather a lot of hills around. My son used a GPS gizmo to record a track of he and I riding our mobility scooters; the maximum sustained gradient was about 10% with a brief steeper sections, as much as 14% in a couple of places. Regular journeys, for instance a five mile round trip to a local beauty spot, would involve a total decrease in altitude of about 450ft - with the return leg obviously covering the same in reverse! That's not to say there aren't flat places, it's just we can't get anywhere from where we live without traversing a hill!

There's no need for carrying capacity as on any ride long enough to need any drink or food we'd be carrying that on our scooters. Mudguards are essential, whether they're pre-fitted or available as an aftermarket purchase!

We'd like help finding the best balance between a chassis light enough to facilitate ease of handling and finding one with batteries that have enough oomph to meet our (hoped-for!) requirements. A range of around 10-15 miles would be minimum, though it's possible that we might try and tackle longer rides if the bike can cope with it.

My husband is of average build and is six foot tall.

Lastly, the budget! We're looking to find a practical solution that best fits our needs. We're not after the very cheapest option but would like to keep things around £1500 if it was possible; though if pushing that limit up a little bit would get us something more suitable we'd be prepared to take that advice!

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I hope someone's able to give us some advice :cool: Happy cycling!

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Hello,the big problem in the requirements that you specify is the requirement of climbing steep hills with no pedal assist whatsoever. I know of no legal e-bike that could achieve this requirement,pedelecs are pedal assist and always require some rider input to climb steep hills. Crank drive bikes are good hill climbers but they usually are torque sensors,ie that the motor provides power dependant upon the power inputed by the rider. Hub drive bikes are also good hill climbers provided the road speed can be maintained above 8mph,this will require some input from the rider.
We have a new range to be released later in 2012,that will move the peak torque of a hub drive lower in the speed range,this will help to climb hills slowly,that means that a lower gear can be selected on a steep hill helping the rider to maintain momentum up steep hills and the motor still providing maximum assistance,but it will still require some rider input.
I am sure the high power merchants will soon be along to tell you that their 1000 watt plus machines will roar up any hill without rider input but they are not road legal-probably better to buy a moped.
Hope that helps
Dave
Kudoscycles

D

Deleted member 4366

The TONARO can do what you want. It's perfectly legal and can go up steep hills slowly without pedalling.
The Bighit with full suspension will be nice and comfy on rough tracks. All those on this forum that have bought TONAROs have loved them to bits.

Last edited by a moderator:

yselmike

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2011
purmerend
Thats what all those 27 gears are for, getting you up hills he may have to put some miles in the legs first though.
weght of the bikes are a problem I have not seen many[any] under 23kg.
may be you can hire a bike for a weekend he may be pleasantly suprised but for sure he needs to try before he buys.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree with d8veh, a Tonaro like the Bighit model can do the job and is probably the only legal production e-bike that can. With it's independent throttle and using the lowest of the 8 gears it drives through, it should cope with the 14% extremes and will easily handle 10% without pedalling. It will be slow doing it, but accompanying mobility scooters makes that unlikely to be a problem.

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
It is good to see the Tonaro finally getting some recognition from members that dont actually own them. The Tonaro predates the Bosch drive, is half the price, has a sensible battery and a throttle option. One day I hope to go up Ben Nevis on it. Oddly I dont think any electric bike mag has yet done a review on it?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Reviews are generally only done when e-bikes are offered by suppliers, so I doubt Powerpedals has offered a Tonaro for that purpose to either A to B or Electric Bike magazines. That's not unusual, indeed one of the best known names in the industry rarely offers a bike for review, knowing that the harm done by an unfavourable review far outweighs any possible gain from a satisfactory one.

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
I'm sure you're right flecc, but shouldn't the magazine be out there actively seeking new ebikes to review in the interests of their readers, regardless of the retailers concerns?

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
If the lady who posted the thread can make her way down to the lush plains of Appin, we have a couple of Tonaros here she could try out.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm sure you're right flecc, but shouldn't the magazine be out there actively seeking new ebikes to review in the interests of their readers, regardless of the retailers concerns?
I fully agree, but the two main publications that I mentioned aren't resourced enough to be able to do that. One man, Peter Eland, runs both Velovision and Electric Bike magazine single handed, he goes to the international shows and produced all the reports and photos, he has to recruit people to help with all the testing and reviewing and is run off his feet all the time. As a result he's often missed publication dates by substantial periods.

A to B magazine is almost a one man outfit, though David Henshaw does have assistance from wife Jane, son Alexander who is about 12 now, and a part time office assistant. However, he also runs the Miniature Railway magazine and travels extensively on both accounts.

No doubt they both get enough offers for review, so it's probably easiest when under time pressure to take the offers than go hunting down alternatives.

TheGardener

Just Joined
Sep 1, 2012
Hello!

Thank you for the very helpful replies! My husband and I have had a look at the Tonaro bikes and we really like the look of the "Bighit", so much so that he's already thinking about ordering one in a couple of weeks. They don't seem like a very easy bike to find out lots of information on, are they generally well-received by their owners?

I am a little confused by the contradiction between Kudoscycle's post and the later recommendation of the Tonaro bikes. How is it they are road legal if they have a power-only mode? I think I might be missing something.

Thank you for the kind offer Hech; unfortunately we are over 100 miles from Appin so it would be a bit of a stretch to get all the way over there. Thank you, though.

Lastly, and sorry for another long post, I found the Tonaro bikes on Home Page of Powerpedals electric bicycles Are they a retailer with a good reputation?

Thank you all!

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
TheGardener,
If you have a search of these forums and elsewhere you will see that the Tonaros are held in high regard by many Pedelecs forums members, whether they own one or not.

I am sure that you have read the technical description of the Tonaro Bighit here:
Bighit - Our Products
The 7 associated reviews are all very positive.

All the Tonaros are road legal as you will see from the FAQs page:
FAQs

The legal limits are discussed here:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/5958-legal-limit-200w-250w-can-anyone-explain-simple-words.html

Phil Hughes, the man behind Powerpedals and Tonaro has an excellent reputation for looking after his customers.
Ask the current Tonaro owners on here what they think about Phil and his customer service.

To quote from his company's description, “We are a family run company with a honest and ethical approach. Our philosophy is simple, every customer is important to us and we will treat them as we would wish to be treated ourselves. No one will be lost in big company bureaucracy, every enquiry will be dealt with personally. In the unlikely event you experience any problem, you can be assured it will be dealt with in a friendly and efficient manner”.

About Powerpedals

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
One VERY happy Tonaro owner here.....great bikes.....great company......great value.....

Lynda :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't own a Tonaro as they don't suit what I want from an e-bike, but everything I've seen in here about them indicates the service from Powerpedals is first class and very supportive and owners are delighted with them.

Just one of the many members who bought one found, like me, that it just wasn't the sort of e-bike he liked. As it happened, it had a fault at delivery and Powerpedals with their usual good service were happy for him to use that reason to withdraw from the purchase and return the bike.

cat man

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 13, 2012
Buy a TONARO Big Hit, you can't go wrong. Me I'm 65 just had a left knee arthroscopy, never thought I would ride a bike again, the Big Hit takes me back 20 years, when I cycled a lot on my mountain bike. By the way I stay in Scotland near Lanark & it manages all the hills round here. Once again a Great bike, the TONARO Big Hit.

TheGardener

Just Joined
Sep 1, 2012
Hello!

Thank you for the continued replies, you have all been very helpful! I have been trying to digest those links Eagle and I think I understand the situation a bit better now, so thank you.

It is very encouraging to hear that Powerpedals have a good reputation. There's always that nagging doubt in the back of your mind when you're committing to spending so much money "remotely" so hearing such positive feedback is comforting.

My husband has decided that this is the bike we are going for. We are away for a week now but when we're back I think we're going to place the order! I will be sure to post an update :)

Andys

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 10, 2010
... Hub drive bikes are also good hill climbers provided the road speed can be maintained above 8mph,this will require some input from the rider....
Hope that helps
Dave
Kudoscycles
I ride a Moskino Eagle; nothing special about it but on several occasions I have followed a struggling "manual" rider up a steep hill, at walking pace, with no effort; all I had to do was turn the cranks. No effort, no fuss. Sometimes I have ended up in bottom gear to be slow enough but never any problem getting the motor to do the work. Just a little boring but didn't want to overtake on a narrow pavement.

Andy

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
i dont mean to hijack the thread as this may help the OP look at another bike as an option but how would the whoosh sirocco 2 compare to the bighit? i wouldnt be able to spend that much so would like an opinion or 2 of the comparison.