what hub kit?

Russelliow

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
iom
I'm trying to price up electrifying my full sus mtb. Whats the cheapest kit that will climb steep hills and has no drag when switched off?
cheers
Russell

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I'm trying to price up electrifying my full sus mtb. Whats the cheapest kit that will climb steep hills and has no drag when switched off?
cheers
Russell
Give the forum forum members an insight into your riding intentions, so we can better help you select a suitable kit. What's the terrain like, how extreme do you ride? etc..

Also, would you prefer a front or rear hub motor, and would you consider a crank drive set-up?

A photo of your bike will help, as battery placement needs to be considered too.

Last edited:

Russelliow

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
iom
The bike is a 15 year old gary fisher with disc brakes. The bike will be used for light offroading but mostly tarmac or gravel cycle paths. Where i live is fairly hilly but there not massive. I weigh 15 stone and the person i want to get riding the bike is a fair bit heaver. I would like a cheap but not rubbish kit as i will most likley buy a quality ebike for myself later in the year. There will be no need to go over 15mph but the ability to climb is important.
cheers
Russell

Russelliow

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
iom
with regards to whether its crank or hub drive i have no preference. Im quite happy to fit a rack for the battery because that would be useful for carrying water, food and a mudguard.

Last edited:

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
with regards to whether its crank or hub drive i have no preference. Im quite happy to fit a rack for the battery because that would be useful for carrying water, food and a mudguard.
Do you intend on cycling off the beaten path?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
My own view based on your brief spec would be a 250w bafang crank drive conversion. Done by a pro if not happy doing yourself
I
But only if you have a 68mm bottom bracket. Which there is an excellent chaonce you do

Hubs don't like being banged about too much. A full suss bike lends itself to a greater bashing about. You won't feel it due to the double suss....but the hub will.

Plus 15 stone and hilly tends to send me towards a crank drive as well.

I own both by the way. And even on my hardtail I wouldn't fitting a hub tbh

Only my hybrid or road bikes have them. They are great for stealth, lightweight power and for big fast illegal power too.

Other views are available id course !

• Agree
Reactions: Fordulike

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
My own view based on your brief spec would be a 250w bafang crank drive conversion. Done by a pro if not happy doing yourself
I
But only if you have a 68mm bottom bracket. Which there is an excellent chaonce you do

Hubs don't like being banged about too much. A full suss bike lends itself to a greater bashing about. You won't feel it due to the double suss....but the hub will.

Plus 15 stone and hilly tends to send me towards a crank drive as well.

I own both by the way. And even on my hardtail I wouldn't fitting a hub tbh

Only my hybrid or road bikes have them. They are great for stealth, lightweight power and for big fast illegal power too.

Other views are available id course !
Hubs don't like being banged about too much?? Have you had personal experience of this. I have managed most of the red and blue runs on all the 7Staines trails plus the stonking Red/blue trails at Glenlivet last Thursday, 40kms of nearly all singletrack. Plus lots of stony Cairngorms trail. So far my Bafang 8Fun rear hub motor on a Giant full suss frame has not made a squeak of protest.My arm muscles are a different story! At least I do not have the worry of bashing a mid drive casing on tree stumps or rocks.Or stripped gears and stressed rear transmission.Plus it costs less than half the price to buy initially. I did think of a mid drive but the Giant frame shape on Trance and FX3 was awkward. It is true that both battery and motor ended up on the rear so care is needed going up steeper, winding single track. The upside of this is that it is nearly impossible to do a header over the bars! I did upgrade the front disc to 180cm and to hydraulic from cable to handle the extra 9 kgs or so.Used the amazingly cheap Clarkes M2 with no cable shortening required.

• Useful
Reactions: Tabs

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
cheers
Russell
cheers
Russell
I ordered a bafang rear hub from elifebike.com in china. It was a 350W 36v rear hub with disc brake mounting and a cassette so I could keep original gear cluster.There was the usual controller,throttle and PAS stuff plus a nice 3 power setting h/b mounted screen. In January 2015 it cost £267.10 and another £34.66 to the carrier to sort the customs. The shipping fee (air) is included. Ordered 24Jan and arrived Feb12.Unfortunately it is priced in US$ so would cost more now. In total with battery, charger and torque plates I spent £560 on the conversion. I have done red trails all over Scotland and, get the gears right and pedal reasonably, it will go up all the uphill stretches without sweat.A 10Amhr 36v battery will last around 15 miles off road and twice that on tarmac. I carry a spare in a small frame rucksack for longer jaunts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The bike is a 15 year old gary fisher with disc brakes. The bike will be used for light offroading but mostly tarmac or gravel cycle paths. Where i live is fairly hilly but there not massive. I weigh 15 stone and the person i want to get riding the bike is a fair bit heaver. I would like a cheap but not rubbish kit as i will most likley buy a quality ebike for myself later in the year. There will be no need to go over 15mph but the ability to climb is important.
cheers
Russell
Hello Russell,
I would suggest a rear BPM kit.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits#rearbpmkit

with a left side pedal sensor.
If you have any question, just ask.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hubs don't like being banged about too much?? Have you had personal experience of this. I have managed most of the red and blue runs on all the 7Staines trails plus the stonking Red/blue trails at Glenlivet last Thursday, 40kms of nearly all singletrack. Plus lots of stony Cairngorms trail. So far my Bafang 8Fun rear hub motor on a Giant full suss frame has not made a squeak of protest.My arm muscles are a different story! At least I do not have the worry of bashing a mid drive casing on tree stumps or rocks.Or stripped gears and stressed rear transmission.Plus it costs less than half the price to buy initially. I did think of a mid drive but the Giant frame shape on Trance and FX3 was awkward. It is true that both battery and motor ended up on the rear so care is needed going up steeper, winding single track. The upside of this is that it is nearly impossible to do a header over the bars! I did upgrade the front disc to 180cm and to hydraulic from cable to handle the extra 9 kgs or so.Used the amazingly cheap Clarkes M2 with no cable shortening required.
Yup, one dead 8fun front and one dead front BPM

Maybe I'm just unlucky!

D

Deleted member 4366

Yup, one dead 8fun front and one dead front BPM

Maybe I'm just unlucky!
What's wrong with them please, Kirstin? Whatever it is, they're dead easy to fix unless your burnt out the windings, though I've never seen that in a very long time.

Russelliow

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
iom
Thanks for your replys . I think I'll give the bafang mid drive a go. Where Is a good UK based shop that sells them?
Cheers
Russell