What should I get

Spoonsy1480

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 20, 2020
Hi I have a felt gravel bike that has Shimano tiagra hydraulic road group set is there any kits I can use with this, the front wheel has a thru axel, rear wheel quick Release, it has a bb30 bottom bracket I think,

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Is the frame carbon fibre? if it is, you need to find a very lightweight water bottle sized battery.
For the motor wheel, something like the Aikema 85SXC would work well.

Spoonsy1480

Feb 20, 2020
Is the frame carbon fibre? if it is, you need to find a very lightweight water bottle sized battery.
For the motor wheel, something like the Aikema 85SXC would work well.
which motor wheel would you suggest

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Spoonsy1480

Feb 20, 2020
I have hydraulic drop bar disc brakes will the conversion work with this as this is sounding like what I’m looking for

Spoonsy1480

Feb 20, 2020
I do cycle already but I’m moving I have quite a steep hill to contend with only about 10% and for about a mile, I weigh 19st and I am 52, I just need some help up the hill, I work 12hrs everyday including weekends so which is best for me, lighter or more torque

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I do cycle already but I’m moving I have quite a steep hill to contend with only about 10% and for about a mile, I weigh 19st and I am 52, I just need some help up the hill, I work 12hrs everyday including weekends so which is best for me, lighter or more torque
I would recommend a higher torque motor, the 48V SWX02 (freewheel)/DWG22C (cassette)
Both offer 30% more torque than the XF08C.

https://wooshbikes.co.uk/cart/#/product/uid-188-swx02-48v12ah/bafang-swx02-48v-250w-rear-hub-kit-with-48v-12ah-battery

The DWG222C has just arrived last Wednesday, I will post details on the website tomorrow.
It has near identical construction to the 48V SWX02 except it is fitted with a cassette/freehub body.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
High torque all day long for a heavy rider, hills & even for those who do a bit of towing.

LithiumFan

Pedelecer
Jan 6, 2019
Herefordshire
Hope I'm not too off topic but I also would like a wee bit of advice on a new motor. I am an n+1 ebiker and have just bought an old Thorn xtc classic short wheel base steel tourer for a lovely comfy ride. I'm off to N Spain for a tour around the Picos de Europa and getting a little worried about VERY long uphills. I did a similar tour in Slovenia last year with an Xiongda 2 speed rear hub motor on my 24" Airnimal. It did me proud and coped with long uphills on gravel roads at about 150-200W continuosly at about 6mph with no problems whatsoever. In fact I managed 90miles on one day with a 520Wh battery with lots of hills. However it will only take a freewheel and I have a 9 speed cassette on my XTC so I don't want to use this one if I can find another.

The XD motor is now in an Ali MTB and I have added an AKM75 front hub on the Airnimal with a 3 speed SA IHG plus cassette. I needed extra speed on evening runs with other riders as I ran out of gears above 19mph!
I should add here that the motor is speed limited at 15.5mph. I don't think this would cope with long hills as it only weighs 1.3kg although it is a real gem for day rides locally.

I see that Woosh is now selling an Aikema 85 rear motor which looks promising as it takes a cassette so no changes required to my gear transmission. I am interested to know wether this would cope with long ascents without overheating. I only weigh 60kg and would have maybe 15kg of luggage (staying in hostels) plus the bike at about 13kg (without motor). I pedal quite a bit too. What sort of torque would I get at 6mph in a 26" wheeled bike? It has 135mm drop outs. I do not use higher power levels except for very short steep bits of road and almost never go faster than 12mph with the motor. Finally I already have several 36V batteries that I use on all my bikes.

I don't really want a mid drive because I would have to file off the cable guides and the motors are quite a bit heavier. Also they are quite a bit noiser as far as I have gleaned from other threads. I know a lot of people have said that bike weight for e-bikes is not a big issue but I use trains wherever possible and it's hard work getting the bike on and off - not to mention the dreaded hooks you get nowadays.

Enough of my ramblings but I thought that others may find my experiences to date helpful. Any thoughts or suggestions will be gratefully received.

Oh and did I say I am not interested in rushing up hills - I want range.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The 85SX is a bit beefier compared to the 75SX that you already fitted to your Airnimal.
I am interested to know wether this would cope with long ascents without overheating.
yes, I think it will.
What sort of torque would I get at 6mph in a 26" wheeled bike?
about 42NM with the Lishui 17A controller.
It has 135mm drop outs.
perfect for the 85SX
Finally I already have several 36V batteries that I use on all my bikes.
We don't yet sell components on their own. Sorry.

LithiumFan

Pedelecer
Jan 6, 2019
Herefordshire
Thanks Woosh. Any idea on torque with a KT 15A controller? What sort of torque would you think I currently get with the AKM75 and a KT 15A controller for comparison?

Spoonsy1480

Feb 20, 2020
I would recommend a higher torque motor, the 48V SWX02 (freewheel)/DWG22C (cassette)
Both offer 30% more torque than the XF08C.

https://wooshbikes.co.uk/cart/#/product/uid-188-swx02-48v12ah/bafang-swx02-48v-250w-rear-hub-kit-with-48v-12ah-battery

The DWG222C has just arrived last Wednesday, I will post details on the website tomorrow.
It has near identical construction to the 48V SWX02 except it is fitted with a cassette/freehub body.
Sorry for coming back to an old question do you need brake sensors and a throttle or can you run without them

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it's only the range. The 13AH gives about 45 miles, the 17AH about 65 miles.