What would happen if... 48V Alien Aurora?

GSol

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2011
Kendal
Just thought I should update this thread after riding the upgraded Aurora for a few weeks.
I have seriously tried to ride even a few metres without breaking out into a huge smile, and I just cannot help it.
This is undoubtedly the most fun I have ever had on 2 wheels!

I rode the first few times with both batteries just in case the 48v ran out of power I could just switch over, but 16miles and no sign of even any fade, so now I cycle with the 48v battery only.

When I had both batteries on the bike, the centre of gravity was really awkward when pulling away, the monstrous torque just wanted to pop a wheelie all the time, so I had to lean forwards as if I am racing every car on pullaway hehehe... got some funny looks, as I must've appeared quite ridiculous with big work backpack and huge alien panniers fitted! ... but no laughter from them when I pulled away!

Uphills are soooooo easy. Most I don't even have to pedal, except perhaps the steepest we have and it feels pretty much effortless what I do have to put in.

Sometimes when I see another cyclist I pedal just to fit in socially :)
Kind of like peer pressure to become a casual pedaller!

If I see someone really checking out the bike while driving next to me, I pedal backwards while accelerating - the completely baffled looks just make my day!

I went out to a deserted stretch of flattish road with no wind and tested the bike tops out at about 26mph with no pedalling. Trying to pedal any faster at those speeds is impossible with the standard gears. It feels too dangerous to be accelerating to those speeds on normal roads and in traffic, so I obviously stay away from using the full power then.

The only things that I still need to sort out is:
1) the headset nut keeps coming loose, I don't have a spanner big enough to tighten it, and can't seem to find one at a reasonable price. Had it tightened properly a while back, but it loosened again. Is there any other method I can use to keep it tightened?

2) I cannot seem to find a suitable way to fasten the panniers on anymore, as I fitted the battery on the top of the rack where it used to fasten on. So I've had to use a system of bungees and tie-downs to get it secured. I still want the panniers, they are very handy and also hide the batteries perfectly.

3) I must get some better lights! Days are getting shorter and soon will be cycling in the dark. The 36V system no longer works, so I have removed it. Have normal lights on at the moment, but should upgrade soon.

4) The connector for the new battery is still "open" even though it is pretty much watertight. I want to make a little alu box or at least a pouch to hide it though. It's not a nice connector as it has no screwdown holes or anything easy to clamp it with.

Other than that, I am totally happy with the bike and the upgrade. It required minimal work to get working and really unleashes the potential of the Aurora!

Last edited:

Tinker

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2010
SA39
If I see someone really checking out the bike while driving next to me, I pedal backwards while accelerating - the completely baffled looks just make my day!
I like that ;)

stesteste

Pedelecer
May 2, 2012
bradford
Just thought I should update this thread after riding the upgraded Aurora for a few weeks.
I have seriously tried to ride even a few metres without breaking out into a huge smile, and I just cannot help it.
This is undoubtedly the most fun I have ever had on 2 wheels!

I rode the first few times with both batteries just in case the 48v ran out of power I could just switch over, but 16miles and no sign of even any fade, so now I cycle with the 48v battery only.

When I had both batteries on the bike, the centre of gravity was really awkward when pulling away, the monstrous torque just wanted to pop a wheelie all the time, so I had to lean forwards as if I am racing every car on pullaway hehehe... got some funny looks, as I must've appeared quite ridiculous with big work backpack and huge alien panniers fitted! ... but no laughter from them when I pulled away!

Uphills are soooooo easy. Most I don't even have to pedal, except perhaps the steepest we have and it feels pretty much effortless what I do have to put in.

Sometimes when I see another cyclist I pedal just to fit in socially :)
Kind of like peer pressure to become a casual pedaller!

I went out to a deserted stretch of flattish road with no wind and tested the bike tops out at about 26mph with no pedalling. Trying to pedal any faster at those speeds is impossible with the standard gears. It feels too dangerous to be accelerating to those speeds on normal roads and in traffic, so I obviously stay away from using the full power then.

The only things that I still need to sort out is:
1) the headset nut keeps coming loose, I don't have a spanner big enough to tighten it, and can't seem to find one at a reasonable price. Had it tightened properly a while back, but it loosened again. Is there any other method I can use to keep it tightened?

2) I cannot seem to find a suitable way to fasten the panniers on anymore, as I fitted the battery on the top of the rack where it used to fasten on. So I've had to use a system of bungees and tie-downs to get it secured. I still want the panniers, they are very handy and also hide the batteries perfectly.

3) I must get some better lights! Days are getting shorter and soon will be cycling in the dark. The 36V system no longer works, so I have removed it. Have normal lights on at the moment, but should upgrade soon.

4) The connector for the new battery is still "open" even though it is pretty much watertight. I want to make a little alu box or at least a pouch to hide it though. It's not a nice connector as it has no screwdown holes or anything easy to clamp it with.

Other than that, I am totally happy with the bike and the upgrade. It required minimal work to get working and really unleashes the potential of the Aurora!
oooh that grin must be big as my aurora still standard and still makes me smile ,maybe when a new battery is due i might think about a upgrade maybe your lights might have still worked with a bigger voltage bulb i have 2 sets on my aurora now and looks good and bright so would hate for these to go ,
well done on the upgrade and keep updating try not to smile next time your out or is it impossible

(http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/12126-alien-aurora-review.html) lights