What's the best 250 watt...

BALDYMONSTER

Pedelecer
Mar 1, 2016
Stirling
conversion kit I can but for my Saracen Mantra One?

Needs to be road legal but have the ability for more power off road?

Bafang 250 watt C965?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it will go faster if you change the settings imo just then will not be road legal.

its 15.5 mph but if you can change the settings its not road legal anyway.

get a 1000w 1 and put a 250w sticker on it ;)

BALDYMONSTER

Pedelecer
Mar 1, 2016
Stirling
That's a bit naughty!

Who makes the stickers?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
police dont care unless you hit some one so id not even bother and just get what you want. they all the same size anyway id put 1000000w on it ;)

long as you not flying up the road at 800mph will not have a problem.

Admin note: For the avoidance of doubt, this is the link explaining electric bike law in the UK

Last edited by a moderator:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

as you can see he is just riding it around like a motor bike so no tax insurance ect and thats a 4kw hub motor and a 52kg bike.

and he cant even put the handle bars on right :rolleyes:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The 180mm Bafang's and their clones are heavy and bulky there aren't to many other options readily available unless you go direct to the Chinese makers. From BMSB there are 120mm lighter Q's available the 100h may be a bit under powered for off road however the 128 is a better option but only comes in 500 or 800w version, use the search button for the threads.
For more off road power for the 250w bafang a bigger 22a controller and a 48v battery should give you better off road power by the way of torque and a increase in top speed if needed.

Reactions: soundwave

BALDYMONSTER

Pedelecer
Mar 1, 2016
Stirling

as you can see he is just riding it around like a motor bike so no tax insurance ect and thats a 4kw hub motor and a 52kg bike.

and he cant even put the handle bars on right :rolleyes:
And what happens when the cops stop him and impound his bike for "investigation "?

!!!!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
thats the point there is taking the p like above as it looks like a mtx bike and is but he still going round on it with a full face helmet and not been stopped yet.

he hits some one on that then its a hole world of shite if the police get involved.

he just wont lose the bike he will be fined and sent to prison.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Not legal but quite small and discreet take a pew at the Xiongda 2 speed, some rate it others poo - poo it.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
conversion kit I can but for my Saracen Mantra One?

Needs to be road legal but have the ability for more power off road?

Bafang 250 watt C965?
The only way to be legal is to have a motor rated no more than 250 w. Doesn't really matter how much power you feed it, as long as it says 250w on it. (...And is limited to 15.5mph etc)

BALDYMONSTER

Pedelecer
Mar 1, 2016
Stirling
The only way to be legal is to have a motor rated no more than 250 w. Doesn't really matter how much power you feed it, as long as it says 250w on it. (...And is limited to 15.5mph etc)

^^^^^^

And the best way would be to have a 250 w bike with the capability to get more power/top speed off road on private ground?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
or a Bosch Yamaha bike and bad ass dongle that can be removed and bike reset to factory.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
^^^^^^

And the best way would be to have a 250 w bike with the capability to get more power/top speed off road on private ground?
No, that is specifically mentioned in the legislation as an 'off road' button, and against the rules.

But, you don't need it. Just run your 250w motor at higher power.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I have a full legal 250w 36v hub bike.

It gets a serious boost of torque and speed by adding a 11.1v battery. This takes the voltage up to 48v nominal.

So if my booster battery is plugged in it is illegal. But legal without it.

I just keep the booster in my backpack for use when needed.

I have used 18650 laptop cells, 18650 Panasonic ebike cells and I currently use multi star Lipo from hobbkyking

When the booster battery is plugged in it lives in a triangle frame bag with the controller.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
The warning that goes with the above is - you can blow up your controller or overheat your motor.

I've done both in the past. But I find the 250w BPM hub can handle it and so can the panda bikes controller

I've taken it up to 14s in fact without anything going pop. And done at least 200 miles like that.

Mar 9, 2016
For any type of serious offroading there is no point going above 250w..yes the extra power might be handy, but the limitation is definitely the battery. A 250w mid drive will climb anything more powerful bikes could and will still get good range and be legal into bargain. Its a silly argument to make because folk are getting away with loads more power its ok. It is not and will only lead to restrictions on everything.
My 250w yam is incredible at climbing. You really dont need anymore on a bicycle !!! If anyone does perhaps they should get a motorbike and stop risking all of us being stopped from going almost where we like.
( over course of today,s ride I,ve had height gain of approaching 1000m spread over 18 miles. My battery still has 28% in it !!! More power would have got me half way around lots quicker..!)

Last edited:
Reactions: D C and EddiePJ

BALDYMONSTER

Pedelecer
Mar 1, 2016
Stirling
For any type of serious offroading there is no point going above 250w..yes the extra power might be handy, but the limitation is definitely the battery. A 250w mid drive will climb anything more powerful bikes could and will still get good range and be legal into bargain. Its a silly argument to make because folk are getting away with loads more power its ok. It is not and will only lead to restrictions on everything.
My 250w yam is incredible at climbing. You really dont need anymore on a bicycle !!! If anyone does perhaps they should get a motorbike and stop risking all of us being stopped from going almost where we like.
( over course of today,s ride I,ve had height gain of approaching 1000m spread over 18 miles. My battery still has 28% in it !!! More power would have got me half way around lots quicker..!)

Good points well made.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Adding to my earlier comment. The booster battery approach is best for adding speed

If you want climbing ability just get a legal 250w mid drive Kit such as bbs, gsm etc.

I have a mid drive Kit on my mtb and it climbs anything through use of gears. It is 250w and unadulterated