Which bike for the heavier rider? Wisper, Oxygen, Woosh, RooDog?

Mr O

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 10, 2014
Hi everyone,
I'm looking to buy an electric bike over Easter as a real kick start to get me more healthy. I've looked at so many websites my eyes are beginning to boggle! As I don't live that close to any main dealers I'd appreciate any help you can provide.
Being 18 stone and 6 feet 2 inches my bike choice is slightly limited. At the top end of my budget I really like the look of the Wisper 905 but the slightly cheaper Oxygen E Mate also looks pretty attractive. Going cheaper, both the RooDog Avatar and Woosh Big Bear are also appealing. Would I notice the difference by spending the extra pennies? Are these all reliable bikes with good after sales service?
I'm not looking to climb mountains on the bike and live in a relatively flat area, I'm just after a reliable tough bike that will last me many years.
Thanks for any help you give me.
John

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
Hi Mr O, you want to check out the tonaro range of bikes from powerpedals uk. They are heavy bikes themselves but like you, robust.. The aftersales is excellent and the tonaro drive system has yet to be matched regarding the delivery of weight from the bottom to the top of hillsides throughout the country.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Mr O,

I would not worry too much about your weight when it comes to the strength of modern good quality bike frames. Although you are over the weight limit for some brands there is normally a safety margin. eZee bikes for example have limit of 120Kg, but we have a customer who is over 150Kg and so far has not reported any problems.
Performance would be the main concern, the heavier the rider the bigger the demand on the power of the bike and subsequent reduction in range.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Hi everyone,
I'm looking to buy an electric bike over Easter as a real kick start to get me more healthy. I've looked at so many websites my eyes are beginning to boggle! As I don't live that close to any main dealers I'd appreciate any help you can provide.
Being 18 stone and 6 feet 2 inches my bike choice is slightly limited. At the top end of my budget I really like the look of the Wisper 905 but the slightly cheaper Oxygen E Mate also looks pretty attractive. Going cheaper, both the RooDog Avatar and Woosh Big Bear are also appealing. Would I notice the difference by spending the extra pennies? Are these all reliable bikes with good after sales service?
I'm not looking to climb mountains on the bike and live in a relatively flat area, I'm just after a reliable tough bike that will last me many years.
Thanks for any help you give me.
John
e-bikes will last as long as you look after your bike and use it regularly because the battery needs to be used and recharged regularly.
cost aside, you would certainly notice the difference in pulling power between the big and heavy motors of the Ezee Torq or the Kudos Typhoon or the Woosh Big Bear against the smaller motors on the E Mate or the Avatar.

Dubster

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2012
North Yorkshire
I'm 6' 3" and near enough 17 stone, I've never worried about my size when buying any bike and I've never as much as broke a spoke in many thousands of miles.

As far as e-bikes are concerned, I've put many miles on a Giant Escape 1 and now ride a Kalkhoff Endeavour, neither machine has moaned at my weight!

Seriously, just buy what you fancy, it'll be fine!

Reactions: RobF

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I am 17 stone and 6ft1".....my current favourite bike is the KTM Macina 400 sport or for less money our own Kudos Typhoon....most good e bikes should cope with our weight,I think it only becomes a problem tops 20 stone.
KudosDave

Mr O

Mar 10, 2014
Thanks to all those who have offered advice so far, I will look into some of these recommendations. Good to know the weight shouldn't be a problem. I live in Southport on the North West coast, not particularly hilly but the sea breeze can be a right pain some days so a good motor will be important.
Cheers, John.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Good luck with the search if possible it is a good idea to try a few out. In terms of the bikes having ridden quite a few with hydraulic brakes I do now miss this feature on bikes without it. Differences between extra money is often due to better bike specification and better electric components. Although the Bafang motors found on many cheaper bikes are very reliable. In addition the more expensive bikes tend to have better warranties particularly on the battery, we only sell ebikes with 2 years guarantee on the battery. However most people still normally pay around £1000 for their first ebike in our experience.

David

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Another way to look at your weight.... Use some sort of speedo/milometer, set yourself a realistic weekly milage target and don't let the motor do all the work. You will soon see your weight reduce!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Differences between extra money is often due to better bike specification and better electric components. Although the Bafang motors found on many cheaper bikes are very reliable. In addition the more expensive bikes tend to have better warranties particularly on the battery, we only sell ebikes with 2 years guarantee on the battery. However most people still normally pay around £1000 for their first ebike in our experience.

David
it may be true for the very cheap (like Tesco e-bikes) or very expensive (like R & M) - in the middle of the pack, it's chaotic marketing to say the least. This is especially true among importers of Chinese bikes.
Best check out the specs and reviews before you buy.

Mr O

Mar 10, 2014
Thanks all. KudosDave, interested to hear the Kudos bikes should be fine. At 6 feet 2, are there any bikes other than the Typhoon suited to the taller person? Could do with a bike with lights, mudguards for the daily commute also.
Thanks again
John

C

Cyclezee

Thanks all. KudosDave, interested to hear the Kudos bikes should be fine. At 6 feet 2, are there any bikes other than the Typhoon suited to the taller person? Could do with a bike with lights, mudguards for the daily commute also.
Thanks again
John
Hi John,

The eZee Torq is well sited to the taller person and comes complete with mudguards, rear rack and lights powered from the bike's battery.
IMG_7640-e1368430159799.jpg

Ronnyuk

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2014
Bristol
ronny.ws
Hi Mr O, I was in the same situation and same weight :), I knew the type of bike I wanted and it had to be pretty stealthy and look like a normal mountain bike. In the end I went with a Burisch and can honestly say after doing 30 miles in 3 days that it works perfect for my commute.
I imagine all 250watt bikes will be very similar but do not think it will fire you up a steep hill at 15mph. That's what is good about e-bikes, if you are heavy you still get the workout but on the flats you can chill out if you want.

I have not ridden a push bike in 20 years but today I cycled to work <6.5 miles> and loved it, the 250w motor is just about right to stop you being too lazy.

I liked Kudos bikes too and would have got one 6 months ago but the dealer wasn't really very happy to sell me one as he thought I would not get the experience he thought I wanted.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I imagine all 250watt bikes will be very similar
No way, I'm afraid - There are 250w bikes and there are 250w bikes:
The Ezee mk2-motored bikes & kits provide 50% more grunt up hills than do many entry level bikes.

D

Deleted member 4366

I imagine all 250watt bikes will be very similar
You have a good imagination. Have you ever imagined that you can fly because that's a lot nearer the truth than the above statement. I have one that'll fire you up a steep hill at 30 mph, but I cant understand why the battery goes flat so quickly with its "250w" motors

Reactions: jackhandy

Ronnyuk

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2014
Bristol
ronny.ws
You have a good imagination. Have you ever imagined that you can fly because that's a lot nearer the truth than the above statement. I have one that'll fire you up a steep hill at 30 mph, but I cant understand why the battery goes flat so quickly with its "250w" motors
Cool, Can you link me a 250 Watt motor that will "fire" me up a steep hill, also roughly what would it cost?> one that is already fitted to a 26" rim if possible, most bike shops I have been in said if you weigh over 18st then a 250watt will be ok on a straight but forget steep hills.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
cyclezee can do you a wheel but you'd need upgraded controller and battery too.
You bike suits you, you love it, that's all that matters.

D

Deleted member 4366

The "250w" motors I have, have been specially adapted to 250w, which is why they have so much power. I hope you understand what I mean.

Seriously though, the law says that you have to have a motor labelled 250w by the manufacturer, but some manufacturers rate their motors much less than the power that they can comfortably run with. The high pwered hub-motors are the Ezee motor available as a complete kit from Cyclezee for about £800 upwards. Then there's the "250w" versions of the Bafang CST and BPM/BPM2 which are available from various Chinese suppliers for about £200, or you can kit the whole kit with battery for about £400 to £500. Finally, you can buy the 500w version of those motors and convert them to "250w" with the appropriate manufacturers label. A complete kit with a decent battery will be about £500 to £600 from various Chinese suppliers. These will get you up any hill.

There's also various kits on Ebay that you can convert to "250w", but you need the really high powered ones to climb hills because they use direct drive motors that don't have so much torque.