Which bike for the heavier rider? Wisper, Oxygen, Woosh, RooDog?

Mr O

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 10, 2014
Thanks again for all the advice, despite liking the Kudos Typhoon (just wish it had lights and mudguards as standard) I think I've whittled my choice down to two (both typically at the very top end of my budget!):
Kalkhoff Pro Connect Xion 24 (can have larger frame size)
Wisper 905 classic (strong and sturdy with good oomph for a lump like me).
Any comments specifically regarding these gratefully received, or a one word answer to help swing my choice (remember 18 stones and 6 feet 2).
Thanks once more, this decision process is so tough!!!

Reactions: Cabo

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
@ 18st, you'll need a big fat motor, that rules out the Wisper unless you only ride flat roads.

Julian in Frimley

Feb 6, 2014
Thanks again for all the advice, despite liking the Kudos Typhoon (just wish it had lights and mudguards as standard) I think I've whittled my choice down to two (both typically at the very top end of my budget!):
Kalkhoff Pro Connect Xion 24 (can have larger frame size)
Wisper 905 classic (strong and sturdy with good oomph for a lump like me).
Any comments specifically regarding these gratefully received, or a one word answer to help swing my choice (remember 18 stones and 6 feet 2).
Thanks once more, this decision process is so tough!!!
Wow, only 18 Stone, that's light as a feather - add another 10 Stone and that's me at the moment. My Oxygen bike copes fine, yes I have to pedal a little bit uphill but it's quite doable - not had to stop yet and hoping I can get down to your weight within the next year :) Good luck with the selection if you have not already made it.

Mr O

Mar 10, 2014
Ok, the Easter holidays have begun, I'm poised to order the Wisper (no matter which others I look at I keep getting drawn back to it) but there seems to be quite a lot of support for the Ezee Torq Mk3 on the forums. Is it a good un??

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the Torq Mk3 is an excellent bike. It has a lot more pulling power than the Wisper. I've tried both. Both the Torq and the Wisper 905 (about 23kg) feel a bit heavy to me.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Mr o if my choice was whisper or kallhoff
The pro would win. Perceived better bike.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Hi Mr O, I was in the same situation and same weight :), I knew the type of bike I wanted and it had to be pretty stealthy and look like a normal mountain bike. In the end I went with a Burisch and can honestly say after doing 30 miles in 3 days that it works perfect for my commute.
I imagine all 250watt bikes will be very similar but do not think it will fire you up a steep hill at 15mph. That's what is good about e-bikes, if you are heavy you still get the workout but on the flats you can chill out if you want.

I have not ridden a push bike in 20 years but today I cycled to work <6.5 miles> and loved it, the 250w motor is just about right to stop you being too lazy.

I liked Kudos bikes too and would have got one 6 months ago but the dealer wasn't really very happy to sell me one as he thought I would not get the experience he thought I wanted.
Ronnyuk,what do you think the dealer meant 'I would not get the experience he thought I wanted'...it does concern me the impartiality of some of these dealers,they often have different agendas other than quoting the best bike for you,that could include the ones they make more profit on or the one they have in stock that they are keen to move on.
The Burisch bike you selected is a very similar performance bike to the Kudos Cobra,but I notice your comment of 'don't think it will fire you up a hill'....did your dealer recommend any of the BPM motored bikes or better let you try one?
KudosDave

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
His name is ronnyuk - not 'Ronin yuk', also, most bike shops don't have BPM or the new Panasonic motors. If they did, they won't shift their old stock.

Ronnyuk

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2014
Bristol
ronny.ws
Hi Dave, When I went into the shop I was very new to Ebikes, I went in expecting the ebike to be like an electric motorbike really, all the bikes he had were what I would call "Mary Poppins" bikes and some were 2k+, I really wanted a Kudos bike but did not understand the different crank drives and hub motors and how each differed in power.
The dealer did not stock any Kudos bikes and I walked away a bit deflated as I was hoping to place an order there and then, he was right though really if you weigh 17st+ then a normal bike like I got isn't going to shoot you up Mount Everest :)

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Ronnyuk,sorry about typo on your name,have others noticed that I-pads make guesses as to what the computer thinks not what you have actually typed.
It is with regret that some of the dealers will not stock my bikes,despite them sometimes being perfect for the customers requirements.
I would have thought that a big guy wanting a hill climber should have had a serious look at the Kudos Typhoon bike,but it is very new,maybe not available when you were looking.
Some of the distributors are offering e-bikes to the dealers on 6 month interest free finance,sometimes with additional loan stock...it seems economic madness to me,if I was a dealer with limited finance it is an attractive deal but it does mean that the bike they stock and recommend is not always the best option for the customer.
I have sent you a p.m.
Thanks
KudosDave