Help! Which Dahon folding bike + Woosh kit?

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
Hi,

I've been told that I should either buy a Dahon bike with 20" wheels, or wait until February, when Woosh have a new bike, however that hasn't been tested for my requirements yet

Let's say that I go with a Dahon, I'm not sure what I should get?

My requirements :
Weight :86Kg
Height : 1.69m

It must fit in my car given I have nowhere secure to store it, except at work. I can't bring it inside the house, as per the rental agreement.

It must also endure 30 miles a day commuting between Headingley, and Ben Rhydding.

I've been told that a Brompton wouldn't be great for my needs given that whilst it folds neatly, it isn't suited for longer distances. I'd also like a decent battery and actually be able to get that 30 mile range instead of "up to" miles.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Reactions: anonymous

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
I'm guessing those Labour hours are either your own, or that of a contracted out company?

Thanks for that btw. I'm still holding out until February anyway when hopefully your new bike meets my requirements. However it's good to know that I have an alternative if not

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
yes, ready to ride and there is enough juice in the battery for about 10-15 miles for a test run before you have to recharge.

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
yes, ready to ride and there is enough juice in the battery for about 10-15 miles for a test run before you have to recharge.
Sorry? Really I'd want to be able to have a full 30 mile range of battery. Is it also "ready to ride" when you deliver it? Or is that just from Southend? Unless you're saying you only deliver within Southend?

Unless you're saying the battery would arrive about half charged?

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
batteries are usually 3/4 full when they go out.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
So the real range is actually only 13-20 miles? That is a bit of a spanner in the works if I'd want 30 miles
the range is proportional to the battery's capacity.
The new Rambla folding bike comes with 36V x 12AH = 432WH, typically called '400WH' battery.
You need about 6WH per mile on flat road in ideal condition, much more if you climb hills. The average is 10WH per mile for an average rider.
So with a 400WH battery, you should be able to do 35-40 miles on a full charge.
What charge is in the battery on delivery is unimportant. Some customers charge up the battery before trying the bike, some don't. If you collect, the battery will be full but if you want the bike sent, for transport, we keep the charge to 50%-75% to comply with battery transport regulations. The fire risk increases with the percentage of charge: higher when it's 100% full, that's why batteries should not be full when in transit.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
some pictures of the new folding bike:

with sprung seat post, suspension fork, internal cable routing:

Monoshock fork

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
yes.

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
I guess another one is I'm guessing it could easily accommodate a full mud guard?

Do people typically buy extra batteries too? I'll also have to see if my new workplace has a cycle to work scheme, which may delay me by about a month given that those things are normally given when you've passed probation. I start at the very end of 2019

If not, I'd probably want to buy anyway. It's just a bit cheaper through a scheme!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I guess another one is I'm guessing it could easily accommodate a full mud guard?
it's got already full mudguards fitted.

Do people typically buy extra batteries too?
only about 5% do. Our bikes have traditionally larger battery capacity than most.

If not, I'd probably want to buy anyway. It's just a bit cheaper through a scheme!
the Rambletta costs a bit less than a non electric brompton!

anonymous

Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2019
it's got already full mudguards fitted.

only about 5% do. Our bikes have traditionally larger battery capacity than most.

the Rambletta costs a bit less than a non electric brompton!
Thanks. I get what you're saying about costs, however the way I see it is if I wait until I pass probation , assuming there is a cycle scheme at my new place, then I could save even more money there, or I could pay to my workplace on what's effectively a 0% loan

If there isn't such a scheme, and should you think this bike fits my requirements, then I'd buy it anyway. It'd be appreciated once you've done testing to quote saying if it is suitable for my requirements or not. It certainly looks like a decent bike