Which E Bike

Leema

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 10, 2017
Devon TQ2
Considering buying my first e bike. Have ridden a mtb up to a couple of years ago but now retiring and looking for a bike for leisure use both on and off road (no commuting thank goodness). Am 69 and 5'10 weighing around 15 -16 stone.
Looking for an bike that can assist up hill mainly as live in Devon but still wish to pedal as well to keep fit and hopefully loose weight. Looking to spend £1300 or there abouts. Any suggestions to make the purchase easier will be much appreciated.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
There are several places in Devon where you can take test rides on a variety of bikes. Where do you live?
It's impossible to recommend a bike for you as each rider-bike combination is unique.
Taking a test ride will allow you to identify all the issues important for you.

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Am 69 and 5'10 weighing around 15 -16 stone.
Looking for an bike that can assist up hill mainly as live in Devon but still wish to pedal as well to keep fit and hopefully loose weight. Looking to spend £1300 or there abouts. Any suggestions to make the purchase easier will be much appreciated.
I would suggest the Woosh Rio MTB with 27.5" wheels.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?rio-mtb

• Informative

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Gotta laugh.

One seller says can't recommend as you need to try many other straight in for the sell.

I'd agree with Juicy. The whoosh may be ideal but you need to try it against other offerings. Also put Wisper on your list.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
One seller says can't recommend as you need to try many other straight in for the sell.
I only made a recommendation based on the initial post, age, weight, height, terrain and MTB shape.

what else do you want me to do? wait for somebody else to make a suggestion in my place?

Leema

Sep 10, 2017
Devon TQ2
There are several places in Devon where you can take test rides on a variety of bikes. Where do you live?
It's impossible to recommend a bike for you as each rider-bike combination is unique.
Taking a test ride will allow you to identify all the issues important for you.
Live in Torbay.

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Thanks for input. On the website it states 26" Wheels but you recommended the 27.5" Wheels. Any particular reason for this?
at 5ft10, you can ride either 26" or 27.5" - as you are a tad heavier than the average, I think you would be more comfortable on the 27.5" wheels.

• Informative

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Oxygen are also good bikes, if slightly higher budget than you stated. My 2-year-old eMate MTB is a great bike. I've had power supply issues with it, but the battery design has changed since my bike and is probably better now.

The equipment specification of Oxygen bikes is very high given the price tag and is not the cheaper Shimano stuff fitted to equivalent bikes. This is the bike that replaced my eMate: http://www.oxygenbicycles.com/e-bikes/s-cross-mtb

Have fun on whatever you choose.

• Informative

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Live in Torbay.
You could have a days hire of various bikes at either
Exeter Electric Bike Hire, Marsh Barton, Exeter EX2 9HZ 07786 916 659
Or at
Devon Cycle Hire in Okehampton
Sourton Down, Okehampton EX20 4HR 01837 861141
That would give you loads more knowledge and a good basis for deciding on what would work for you.

• Useful

Leema

Sep 10, 2017
Devon TQ2
Thanks Juicybike will certainly look into hiring for a day
Oxygen are also good bikes, if slightly higher budget than you stated. My 2-year-old eMate MTB is a great bike. I've had power supply issues with it, but the battery design has changed since my bike and is probably better now.

The equipment specification of Oxygen bikes is very high given the price tag and is not the cheaper Shimano stuff fitted to equivalent bikes. This is the bike that replaced my eMate: http://www.oxygenbicycles.com/e-bikes/s-cross-mtb

Have fun on whatever you choose.

Leema

Sep 10, 2017
Devon TQ2
Thanks for input Warwick another to add to the list. Will need to look at spec to see if extra cost is worthwhile. Trouble is knowing what parts are worth paying more for

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Thanks for input Warwick another to add to the list. Will need to look at spec to see if extra cost is worthwhile. Trouble is knowing what parts are worth paying more for
top of the list is the battery. You pay for the WHs.
Next is the motor. You need a motor with enough torque to suit your weight and terrains.
Next on the list are mechanical components: hydraulic brakes are more expensive than mechanical disc brakes which are more expensive than V brakes. As for suspension forks, just google the model of fork fitted to your bike. Bottom bracket, crankset, derailleur, tyres etc all contribute to make a good bike.
Tell us which bike you like the look of and ask members 'what is wrong with my choice?'

• Informative

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks will look into Wisper ebikes
Cheers Leema,

We have a good selection of dealers in Devon that would look after you and give good after sales support. Massively important unless you are happy to do your own repairs and servicing.

All the best, David

• Informative

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
at 5ft10, you can ride either 26" or 27.5" - as you are a tad heavier than the average, I think you would be more comfortable on the 27.5" wheels.
I bought 27" wheels on my Toba bike. It was a big mistake. Heavy weight of bike requires plumper 26" MTB tyres. Off road bridlepaths are not rideable and it does not feel safe over 20 mph on tarmac. .

• Informative

Leema

Sep 10, 2017
Devon TQ2
I bought 27" wheels on my Toba bike. It was a big mistake. Heavy weight of bike requires plumper 26" MTB tyres. Off road bridlepaths are not rideable and it does not feel safe over 20 mph on tarmac. .
Thanks for comment Perseus. Sounds logical so will think about it

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's not the choice of wrong wheel size, just the max tyre width your bike will allow. Horses for courses narrow tyres can be a bit skittish off road esp on loose surfaces in you case a a 27.5" or 29 mtb would have been a better choice.