Which E Bike

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
It's not the choice of wrong wheel size, just the max tyre width your bike will allow. Horses for courses narrow tyres can be a bit skittish off road esp on loose surfaces in you case a a 27.5" or 29 mtb would have been a better choice.

Done by experience of two bikes, one with thin tyres that cannot hack it by a big margin and the one with slightly thicker tyres that does. Loose surfaces, narrow gouges in paths, mud, pebbles, gravel, whatever surface the thicker tyres do the job and the thinner ones hopelessly fail.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I have both 26" & a 27.5" MTBs. Both are fine off & on road with the correct tyres. Both can accommodate wide MTB tyres if I want them to, but I choose to run Schwalbe Land Cruiser tyres on the 27.5" Oxygen. Those are about 2"/50mm wide.

D

Deleted member 4366

That's more or less what I used to think, but I had to recalibrate my thinking when I got my Giant gravel bike. It could be the light weight that helps make a difference. Whatever, these narrow knoblies work surprisingly well - both on and off-road.