Which mid-drive would be best?

Klang180

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
exeter
Ok ok so I'll admit that the answer to this is most likely 'it depends' but humour me ;)

I am considering a mid mounted motor for my partner (as well as hub motors - see my other threads - sorry) and just wanted to know which of the options i.e. BBS01, BBS02, TSDZ2 or something else I am missing?

My partner is 55kg (37yrs and fit) and in her words is looking "to do as little effort as possible". Before you say 'how lazy' be aware that we do have road bikes that we enjoy for exercise but this is a bike for getting places to either then walk or do something non exercise related and so less effort the better. I currently have a Yosepower 350w rear hub and I think she would be fine with that level of assistance.

I should say she also wants a rear rack battery for the aesthetic and so that is partly the other reason for the mid drive.

I am mechanically able and have serviced many a bike and so will be able to maintain this drive but having said that would find it frustrating if I had to service it every few months. So which of the above is the most reliable of the units?

I understand the BBS01 and 02 are essentially the same motor but with different controllers so am I right in thinking the former will be more reliable as it is being asked to do less or is this just wishful thinking?

Lastly, how would all of those compare with my rear hub 48v 350w Yosepower in terms of power, top speed (unrestricted) and torque?

Thanks for any and all input and apologies for a bit of a rambling thread!

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Okay, I'll humour you...

From my perspective, I'd choose a BBS01. It's legal, reliable (although parts are plentiful), and powerful enough, and it's easily adjustable on-the-fly with a £20 programming cable and a free App. I have a Bafang M400, which is broadly similar except it uses torque sensing - that's been thoroughly reliable too, and being able to fine-tune settings easily on a ride has been a revelation (same cable, same App).

I read a lot about TSDZ2 issues here and everywhere - knackered gears, having to use opensource software to get the best out of it, being a bit fickle and fragile. Mmm.

Meanwhile, there's a notable contingent here who will say that's all b@ll@cks, and what you need is a simple rear hub drive with simple cadence sensor for an easy life.

As you say, "the answer to this is most likely 'it depends'".

Klang180

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
exeter
Okay, I'll humour you...

From my perspective, I'd choose a BBS01. It's legal, reliable (although parts are plentiful), and powerful enough, and it's easily adjustable on-the-fly with a £20 programming cable and a free App. I have a Bafang M400, which is broadly similar except it uses torque sensing - that's been thoroughly reliable too, and being able to fine-tune settings easily on a ride has been a revelation (same cable, same App).

I read a lot about TSDZ2 issues here and everywhere - knackered gears, having to use opensource software to get the best out of it, being a bit fickle and fragile. Mmm.

Meanwhile, there's a notable contingent here who will say that's all b@ll@cks, and what you need is a simple rear hub drive with simple cadence sensor for an easy life.

As you say, "the answer to this is most likely 'it depends'".
Thanks buddy appreciate it.

What you say does seem to chime with what i have read on my research around the internet.

The TSDZ2 is probably out as I believe it matches your input and so if the OH doesn't want to cycle all that much that is going to be useless.

I will take a look for BBS01s in that case. I do like the idea of balancing a rear mounted rack battery out a little better with the mid drive and then keeping the fundamentals of the bike very similar BUT I also do have sympathy with the more fit and forget style of the rear hub. I have had my Yosepower 350w Rear hub for a couple of years now and have never had any issues. Fit great tyres on there and you can pretty much forget it!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
At 55kg, you don't need much power. What kit to fit depends a lot on the donor bike. Do you have oneyet, If so, show photos.

Klang180

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
exeter
At 55kg, you don't need much power. What kit to fit depends a lot on the donor bike. Do you have oneyet, If so, show photos.
Yes I am starting to think that a hub motor is the way to go as that is what I have and I don't want her to ride off into the sunset :)

We have a donor bike. It is a 27.5 unfortunately but with slicks I think it would take 700c wheels and open up more kits. Given that she is just 5ft3 though it might be safer just to go down the 26" route, I'd welcome advice on that and have included a closeup of the wheel clearance. Bear in mind it currently has 2.2" wide tyres which would be replaced with slicks that would be thinner.

I had thought of putting my YosePower hub on there and upgrading my bike but kits and batteries are so scarce I think I will just keep this a separate project and keep mine as is so that we can get to places together, which is the ultimate goal.

Main issue is that she wants a rack mounted battery and you cannot get those for love nor money especially in 48v and disc brake compatible!

I've even considered 36v but I would really rather not.

IMG_20210722_105725151.jpgIMG_20210722_105741984.jpgIMG_20210722_103043138.jpg

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Klang180

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
exeter
If you don't need much range, I have the XF08C kit in 27.5" rim with G30 10.5AH small bottle battery in stock at the moment. Range with 10.5AH is about 35 miles.
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/cart/#/product/uid-264-xf08c-g30/xf08c-rear-hub-kit-with-g30-105ah-battery
The G30 is made with 10S3P Samsung 18650-35E. 2kgs.

This is how it looks:

Hello Woosh, I will see what she says but I won't hold my breath ;)

Do you have any stats for that motor i.e. torque & top speed? Sorry what is the cost of that?

36v only so I am weary as I was told 48v was heaps better back when I bought in 2019!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
45NM max. 36V 17A controller.
Optimised for 15mph.
What does that mean? that means when you ride at 15mph, the kit can pump out the maximum power. The maximum speed is 25% above the optimised speed, the power tails off above the optimised speed, you get less and less assistance.
Please note that we don't support derestriction.
You can look up the specs of the XF08C in the internet, it's a widely used motor.
We list the specs of all the motors in our kit on the webpage:
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits#faq
The XF08C kit is described here:
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits#xf08ckit

Last edited:

Klang180

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
exeter
45NM max. 36V 17A controller.
Optimised for 15mph.
What does that mean? that means when you ride at 15mph, the kit can pump out the maximum power. The maximum speed is 25% above the optimised speed, the power tails off above the optimised speed, you get less and less assistance.
Please note that we don't support derestriction.
You can look up the specs of the XF08C in the internet, it's a widely used motor.
We list the specs of all the motors in our kit on the webpage:
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits#faq
The XF08C kit is described here:
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits#xf08ckit
Hello Woosh

Thanks so much for providing all that detail. Unfortunately she isn't keen on the downtube battery. I am going to look at mounting a downtube on a bought rack but even so I think the 36V is too much of a hang up for me.

Thanks though.