which size mtb wheel nowadays ?

bayrider

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2013
DEVON
Hi been lucky enough to source 26" wheeled MT bikes to convert from existing E bike kit but it seems harder to find this size and the common size seems to be 700c /28" so am I best off purchasing a front hub 700c/28" wheel for the future should I need it...

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
Not sure I understand your question - but 26" wheel size (ERTRO 559) is the commonest wheel size for mountain bikes. 700c (ERTRO 622) is one of the commonest road bike sizes. You shouldn't have any trouble finding parts for either - but they are almost certainly not interchangeable

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
26" was only MTB wheel size until 29" came along. Now 27.5" dominates with 29" still common. New 26" MTBs have all but disappeared, considering how many used ones there are, very few are to be found on MTB tracks these days. Tyres and spares are also starting to become hard to find, a lot of LSB don't carry any spares now, web being only option for some.

• Agree
Reactions: Wheel-E

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
All though 26" might be "old hat" buying rims and tyres is no more difficult then buying 700c or 27.5", complete wheels may be hared to find but it is easy to get a wheel built. In the case of hub wheels again it's just a case of a simple swap and lacing the hub in to a new rim size.

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
Maybe I am lucky that we have JEJames and a few other good bike shops round here, my off road bikes are predominantly 26" 559 wheels, have 1 road bike that runs 700c 622 and 1 bike that runs 26" 590 (but that's an old track bike and *is* a flipping nuisance finding tyres for)
No issues at all with 559 tyres / spares, but decent 8 speed shifters can be a pain if they need replacing (as they did in our MTB Tandem this year), since Shimano abandoned higher grade 8 speed kit quite a while ago - NOS parts are still plentiful and cheap though. I am sure 559 tyres/wheels will go the same way as 8 speed eventually, creeping down the quality ladder so marketeers can sell more 27.5" . . .

Last edited:

bayrider

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2013
DEVON
Not sure I understand your question - but 26" wheel size (ERTRO 559) is the commonest wheel size for mountain bikes. 700c (ERTRO 622) is one of the commonest road bike sizes. You shouldn't have any trouble finding parts for either - but they are almost certainly not interchangeable
Ok well my question is that it seems that 700c 28" wheels are very common on both road bikes with MTB style frame and mountain bikes say from halfords so am I better of next time ordering a 700c e bike hub , where I would have more choice of either style type bike

D

Deleted member 4366

I don't get why you want to buy the motor before the bike. Surely, it's better to buy the bike first, then get the motor to suit it?

bayrider

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2013
DEVON
I don't get why you want to buy the motor before the bike. Surely, it's better to buy the bike first, then get the motor to suit it?

it's a case of getting items right price, right time and right place that's all where I live not a great choice of good second hand suitable bikes you see

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
I think you can also factor in what style of bike you prefer and the characteristics that brings - unless it doesn't bother you, which could equally be true

Personally I prefer the 26" wheel (which is why I have more than half a dozen of them!), quicker acceleration and more nimble feel, which suits the riding I like best (narrow, windy, climbing) - at high speed, downhill they don't feel so nice and take a bit more skill/bottle. Bigger wheels just don't do it for me - I don't even ride the 700c bike in the garage, my young daughters use it - but it provides more stability, which is useful a novice road rider

• Agree
Reactions: Steve UKLSRA