Who wants to steal my bike?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
if you want to actually prevent crime, spend the money on physical security (better doors, better locks, steel shutters or bars on windows, prickly hedges etc.)
Also be creative. My garage is one of 50 in my immediate area, all a little detached from our properties, but my one is the only one never to have been broken into. That's entirely due to the security being non-standard and my own creation. They've tried a few times, the jemmy marks are in evidence, but always failed and these days it's never touched, the message apparently getting out.

My home is similarly protected, the usual locks being supplemented by my own systems which, like on the garage, the crooks either don't recognise or understand how to overcome.

That's the best protection, non-standard and unique, the first rule of security being secrecy.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Just found that I cannot fit the planned Enfield Bolts to my garage door as it has a 45mm box section round the edge which means I would need bolts with a 100mm throw and the best I can find are 75mm.

Probably end up having to use a ground anchor of some sought.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Just found that I cannot fit the planned Enfield Bolts to my garage door as it has a 45mm box section round the edge which means I would need bolts with a 100mm throw and the best I can find are 75mm.

I have found that most of these advise "fits most garage doors" unfortunately mine doesn't fall into the "most" category either! :confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Here you are on this link. M6 x 100mm, £1.48 for 5.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's not that the door is 45mm thick but that there is a closed channel section that the bolt would have to pass through to reach the door frame.
That is a difficult one. Could you use a drill to open up and then cut or file out enough of a slot on the inner face of the box section to accept the rectangular profile of the Enfield bolt?

Then a large hole drilled on the reverse face of the box section could allow the fixing bolt nut to be reached with a socket or tube spanner.

Last edited:

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Nice thought Ajax but would rather stop them stealing it in the first place, and I would need several as well

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Flecc

I'll have to check the dimensions of the bolt housing to see how much I would have to cut away, wouldn't want to cut too much away, although I could then strengthen the door to compensate for removing the metal.

A bit like when you start changing the back light and then keep going until you get to the front of the bike :)

Reactions: flecc

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Have got the pair of bolts fitted to the garage door, but why is nothing ever straight forward.

Manage to get a pair of bolts with a 70mm throw to avoid cutting the the door channel secions but when they arrived in spite of saying on the packaging the bolts had a 70mm throw it turned out they were 70mm long with a throw of 50mm which meant I did have to cut the door after all. :mad:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Maddening, but at least you have the added security now, despite all the obstructions put in your way.