Why is so much illegal 'commuting' not policed ?

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
There has been comment in some recent threads that you can maybe ignore the legal restirictions on electric bikes because they are not policed, "plod is not interested" is a not unknown justification for ignoring the legal restrictions. Some posters even seem to advertise their illegal activity.

There was a good example of the current situation on the BBC news tonight, there was a report from Nottingham about the recent tragic events.

As the reporter was speaking on the TV, someone on an eScooter went wizzing past the reporter close to his back. A few seconds later someone on an eScooter went past in the opposite direction on the other side of the road.

If it is so easy to film illegal eScooters, then why is it not easy to prosecute the offenders ?

Reactions: Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There has been comment in some recent threads that you can maybe ignore the legal restirictions on electric bikes because they are not policed, "plod is not interested" is a not unknown justification for ignoring the legal restrictions. Some posters even seem to advertise their illegal activity.

There was a good example of the current situation on the BBC news tonight, there was a report from Nottingham about the recent tragic events.

As the reporter was speaking on the TV, someone on an eScooter went wizzing past the reporter close to his back. A few seconds later someone on an eScooter went past in the opposite direction on the other side of the road.

If it is so easy to film illegal eScooters, then why is it not easy to prosecute the offenders ?
I think the answer is in politics, just like so many other evils. A recap on how we got here with e-scooters:

Boris Johnson as PM desperately wanted a trade deal with the USA at the time of Donald Trump saying "America First", decoded as "no chance".

But a couple of US companies were anxious to get their hire e-scooters into Britain since they'd got them into the continent ok. So Johnson mistakenly thought if he allowed a trial for the US companies, we had a chance of being favoured with a trade deal.

That was a bad miscalculation since Trump didn't play ball and neither did Joe Biden who has also adopted "America First".

So we are not only stuck with the trial but foolishly in my view are extending it, anxious not to upset the Americans with a "pack up and go home" message. I'm guessing that the police have also been dropped a hint about not being heavy handed while the trial is running.

And of course the Tories are as ever bounden to big business like Halfords who are making lots of money from the sales of illegal e-scooters and campaigning to get them legalised.

Plus worst of all is the decision to treat them together with pedelecs, an utterly stupid decision since there is no common ground as they are now beginning to realise.

So there you have it, a mess upon a mess upon another mess, something our governments are so expert at doing.

Last edited:

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Law and policing are a bit like a parenting. When you have kids you make up rules. It is good when rules do make sense and you also live by them. If you turn blind eye once, kids will immediately form a pattern of behaviour . It was OK yesterday, so why it is not OK today?
Every time when parents let it slip or teachers look the other way it reinforces certain patterns.

Now to punish somebody for riding on pavement or to ride on electric scooter would feel like a discrimination. Because why to punish one guy while you didn't do anything about 2m others before?

In New Yourk Mayor Gulliani introduced zero tolerance policing with great effect. Maybe we need something similar in UK?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Law and policing are a bit like a parenting. When you have kids you make up rules. It is good when rules do make sense and you also live by them. If you turn blind eye once, kids will immediately form a pattern of behaviour . It was OK yesterday, so why it is not OK today?
Every time when parents let it slip or teachers look the other way it reinforces certain patterns.

Now to punish somebody for riding on pavement or to ride on electric scooter would feel like a discrimination. Because why to punish one guy while you didn't do anything about 2m others before?

In New Yourk Mayor Gulliani introduced zero tolerance policing with great effect. Maybe we need something similar in UK?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Another example, BBC evening news today, Nottingham;

The person on the eScooter did move off during the report.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
If you want to ride an Escooter but not one of the council ones. Make sure you know where all the bollards are.

• :D
Reactions: Woosh and Az.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
The shots of (illegal) eScooters are often to be seen on the BBC and they do seem to take a good deal of care to get them in shot.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Mostly where I live the menaces are ninja food delivery riders esp at night with their illegal 1000w throttle bikes, very little or no pedalling and no lights.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
In the centre of town the Ninjas group up outside the fast food type places in the pedestrian presinct. Cycling not allowed in the presinct of course.

It cheered me up no end that when last Friday I went into town and saw that the Police were stopping the Ninjas, and other cyclists, and fining them £50 for breaching the no cycling rules.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
There are too many people committing too many crimes, most of which are a lot more serious than traffic offences, and not enough police.
Its not so much that there are not enough Police, more that with the number of Police we have, then there needs to be more of a detterent to the routine law breaking that goes on.

See my other post today, the ocaisional fine of £50 for breaching clear rules on cycling is hardly a detterent at all, make it say £1000+ or 200% of your weekly wage and the rules might be observed more often.

Reactions: Scorpio and Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
See my other post today, the ocaisional fine of £50 for breaching clear rules on cycling is hardly a detterent at all, make it say £1000+ or 200% of your weekly wage and the rules might be observed more often.
Or the way the French have cracked down now on breaking pedelec rules, a fine of up to a staggering €30,000.

I bet that has focussed a few French minds, doubt that many will be keen on having throttles now.

Saw my first Sur-ron yesterday, the rider turned onto the pavement I was walking on. I stepped aside for him to pass safely which he did at perhaps 10mph with a nod to thank me.

Probably young judging by his stature, but couldn't be sure since he was sensibly wearing full leathers and a full face helmet. He's probably the youngster from the last house in that row where he has an ic moped with L plates.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
In the centre of town the Ninjas group up outside the fast food type places in the pedestrian presinct. Cycling not allowed in the presinct of course.

It cheered me up no end that when last Friday I went into town and saw that the Police were stopping the Ninjas, and other cyclists, and fining them £50 for breaching the no cycling rules.
If plod did there job properly they shoul dhave had a trffic plod there and then nicked those riding illegal mopeds and then confiscated them for crushing.

Reactions: Woosh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I saw two escooters during a 10 minute walk yesterday: A guy who looked fresh escaped from Belsen. "No way he'd be capable of 20mph with those twiggy legs otherwise" I thought to myself, as he zoomed the wrong way up a narrow one way street, weaved onto the pavement and off again... and about a minute later a parent and child on another escooter raced out onto the pavement from a park, then zoomed directly across the road. They looked like they were having fun.

Honda’s Motocompacto scooter will satisfy your secret desire to ride an electric suitcase to work

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
It is funny, isn't it? But if you think of it it makes more sense than traditional scooter as it should be more stable. Unfortunately our roads or and cycle paths are not suitable for such small wheels.

Reactions: Scorpio

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Honda’s Motocompacto scooter will satisfy your secret desire to ride an electric suitcase to work

You can bet they are serious. Honda constantly produce innovative designs of small powered two wheelers, as far back as 2001 putting their brilliant Step Compo onto the market:

Despite what the link says, the Step Compo was sold here in the UK in 2002 and 2003 by an agent.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: guerney

Related Articles

Advertisers