Winter commuting by electric bike - share your experiences

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Hi folks,

Do any of you commute during the winter months?

Do you have any tips you could share to those that are considering it? For example:

• Clothing (visibility, keeping warm, dry etc)
  • Lighting, reflectors
  • Mudguards
  • Tyres
  • Toolkit contents
  • Riding styles
  • Battery charging tips

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Hello,
I'm gearing up for rid ing in winter for the first time by push bike this year. I've done 7 years though winter on a motorbike but never a push bike.

My batteries are in a backpack and kept indoors so I'm hoping that this will keep the capacity and temperature quite level and not drop capacity to much.

Im still using my Oakley gloves and still wearing my muddy fox MTB shorts.
However I've brought a new water proof and wind proof coat altura that's a night vision one. Since it's high vis and hopefully a bit easier seeing me sincere nights are drawing in.

Also brought some altura water proof trousers but need to buy some under shorts to go with them really.

Also need some water proof shoes that's not going to break the bank.
So if anyone has any links that would be great

I'm sure that as winter comes I might need something warmer but will have to see.
Probably some kind of head balaclava won't go a miss or neck warmer. Might have to dust of the old motorbike gear.

Bike might need some kind of winter protection and more live to keep the hack going as well as the motor and maybe waterproofing some of the connections. The connections so far have been ok on downpours but there not really protected currently.

Oxygen Bicycles

Trade Member
Feb 18, 2010
www.oxygenbicycles.com
bit of advice

I've cycled on an ebike for the past 4 winters so If I can give a bit of an advice on riding in winter I would say you gotta have the following:

1. Lights, lights, lights - that really makes a difference and in winter it's gets dark just after after 5pm. Being visible reduces the likelihood that someone will hit you.

2. Full mudguards is a must - in winter we it rains a lot and the temperatures are low too. Cycling with wet clothes and shoes is not the most pleasant experience.

3. Rack and set of panniers is useful. You can carry with you a set of clothing for different weather which does change pretty quickly. I recommend to carry in the pannier a waterproof jacket, full finger gloves, trousers and the shoe covers.

4. The battery should be always fully charged before leaving. In the low temps the capacity may drop even by 25% so it's better to keep extra power with you. Whenever possible do take the battery with you so it does not stay in a cold.

5. I also recommend the good head cap that covers ears.

6. Last one, if you cycle in London - get yourself a decent bike lock :)

all the best

Andrew

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
Yes. I quite enjoy the commute in the winter months as there's no competition for the bike sheds or the showers at work.

This looks like an ideal opportunity for a shameless plug of a little hobby project I've been working on over the last few months:

Bike Lights Review

As the name implies its primary focus is bike lights, but I'm also covering other winter cycling gear. I'm happy for any feedback, especially if it's positive!

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
As above but i would really emphasis lights are your best friend. I went over the top but have not regretted it, i use niterider pro 1400 and they are so bright that car drivers think its a car coming. On saying that, i would not recommend them for commuting as they are too bright and you get drivers flashing you, i had to program them down to 700 Lumens kind off defeating the purpose of 1400 Lumens. Same for the rear a good set of steady and flashing lights will get you seen. Reflective stickers on non cycling gear which is usually loaded with reflective material.

Marchant

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2010
Bath, UK
I bought my Oxygen at the end of August last year but knocked my 7 mile each way commute on the head when the clocks went back at the end of October cos I didn't fancy travelling a hilly, fast, and frankly scary road in the dark. But I dunno, this winter I think I'll give it a go. I'm going to invest in multiple lights (the on-board led's aren't much cop and drain the battery) inc. helmet lights and see how long I can tough it out. I've got waterproof coveralls, facemask, polartec gloves, fleeces etc and I'm up for the challenge. Mind you, it's easy to be gung-ho on a lovely day like today...

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
I can highly reccomend snowboard clothing for winter commutes, water proof, wind proof, breathable and more importantly warm and comfy. Plenty of bargains to be had in the likes of TKMax.

Cycling in shallow snow isn't usually a problem, but icy sludge or frozen snow isn't fun. I found standing on the pedals and using throttle only was the most stable.

Gloves are always a problem when it is really cold. The only thing that worked for me was snowboard mittens with fitted heat pads!

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
In my experience:

Gloves - cold icy fingers = pain! You need some with thinsulate (or similar) lining and if you think you'll have to ride in the wet make sure they're waterproof. I've never purchased expensive Winter cycling gloves, cheaper options work for me
Lights - as has already been mentioned, decent lights that actually throw some light on to the road are a must. Someone once told me there are two types of bike lights - those that enable you to be seen and those that enable you to see. On dark roads, cycle paths, etc ytou really need the latter and I would recommend wearing something high viz
Mudguards - I'm not sure it rains more in the Winter than the Summer, but the wet stuff is certainly colder. I would say a decent set of mudguards is essential for anyone who relies on a bike to commute and isn't keen on getting wet or a horrible dirty stripe on their back
Tyres - If you've fitted slicks or semi slicks, I would recommend changing them for tyres with more tread. Cycle paths can be very slippery on frozen mornings

Hope this helps

Jas

johnamon

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 15, 2011
Last year I went go-karting during the Christmas holidays. My hands felt completley frozen after the first race when just wearing the standard fire safe gloves that the kart centre issue you. The staff suggested that for the next race I try latex / plastic surgical style gloves underneath - wow what a difference it made! When the weather gets cold I'm just going to get some cheap surgical gloves and wear them underneath my usual cycling gloves - they act as a wind break. Everything is still thin, so you don't lose dexterity.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
What about sweat though, on the bike your hands will perspire a bit where as in the kart it would have been a lot less I would have thought....

Trevor Holloway

Pedelecer
May 4, 2010
Get yourself down to Aldi - todays offers are cycling gear.

I am going for the reflective ankle / wrist bands with built in flashing LEDs at £5 for four !

Would suggest lots of layers of clothing and taking spare clothes to change into when you get to work, make sure they are well wrapped againt any rain / snow.

I have a thick builders jacket (wind and waterproof) and stayed warm even in the snow last year.

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
Many Thanks for your kind comments. Your cheque is in the post. :)

I've not run a website before and there has been a steep learning curve, but I've had a lot of fun learning something new and putting it together. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it.