Wires matching between controller and wheel motor

seunam

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 20, 2017
brussels
Hi everybody,

I have bought a new controller for my new 1500W wheel motor, but I have an issue with the connections.
I have 5 wires from my motor and 6 wires from my controller. The white wire from the controller don't match with anything from the motor. Is this white wire usefull? Can I disconnet this wire? (I have a LCD v2)
The problem is that my trike is in Greece and I can not test it before 1 month. I must send the wheel and the controller to Greece, but I want to be sure about my connections first.

Thanks a lot for your help and hope this post doesn't exist yet.

Best regards,

Seunam.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
How is your speed determined ? If you have a separate wheel speed sensor then probably white is for internal wheel speed sensor so just ignore it, no need to cut if off. Use a bit of heat shrink to insulate the end.

D

Deleted member 4366

The white wire is the speed sensor. If the controller doesn't get a speed signal, it'll probably go to sleep after 5 minutes. There may be a setting to turn that off.

You can easily make a speed sensor if you don't have one. Buy the cheapest cycle computer from Ebay (£3) or dig out your old dead one from the shed. Cut the head unit off and install the magnet and sensor. It has two wires: join one to the white wire and the other to any ground. If it doesn't work like that, join one to the white and the other to any thin red 5v wire, like in the PAS, throttle or motor wires.

seunam

Jan 20, 2017
brussels
How is your speed determined ? If you have a separate wheel speed sensor then probably white is for internal wheel speed sensor so just ignore it, no need to cut if off. Use a bit of heat shrink to insulate the end.
Thank you for your response. I have a LCD box who indicate all the parameters (distance, speed,...) who comes with the kit. I don't know exactly how my speed is determined, but I had receive a first controller with the motor kit. This first controller had 5 wires who correspond with the 5 wires of the motor and all works nice: I can see the speed on the LCD. After that I bought a second controller (with better connectors for the rest of my stuff in Greece), and this controller had 6 wires...

seunam

Jan 20, 2017
brussels
The white wire is the speed sensor. If the controller doesn't get a speed signal, it'll probably go to sleep after 5 minutes. There may be a setting to turn that off.

You can easily make a speed sensor if you don't have one. Buy the cheapest cycle computer from Ebay (£3) or dig out your old dead one from the shed. Cut the head unit off and install the magnet and sensor. It has two wires: join one to the white wire and the other to any ground. If it doesn't work like that, join one to the white and the other to any thin red 5v wire, like in the PAS, throttle or motor wires.
Thank you too for the response. The strange thing is that with a first controller (without the white wire) can determine my speed because I see it on my LCD box. Are you sure if I don't connect this white wire, the system would go to sleep?

seunam

Jan 20, 2017
brussels
Dear friends,

I had receive an answer by the constructor.

Indeed, the white wire is for the speed control.
First case: the wheel is a direct drive motor. In this case no need for a speed control (the LCD can do it) and the white wire must be disconnected.
Second case: the wheel have a geared motor. The LCD can not indicate the speed and the white wire must be connected with an external speed controler.
Here is the difference between the 2 motors with pictures:
http://electricbikereport.com/electric-bike-direct-drive-geared-hub-motors/
http://electricbikereport.com/electric-bike-direct-drive-geared-hub-motors/
In my case, I have a direct drive motor and the LCD can do the job.

Have a nice evening!