Wiring help please ! Thanks :)

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Happy New year folks

So I have a bought a used kit and am a little flummoxed by the wiring. And help gratefully received. I have various 36v batteries I can use to test. I'd like to do so in throttle only but the throttle is broken. I do have spares - all 36v

But this wiring is new to me

Here is the lot

Now the throttle has on/off built in and the wiring has 6 outputs in red/white/black/green/yellow and grey

But also, I'm presuming a brake cut out ? It has red and. blue wires attached as follows - red (brake) to yellow throttle , blue brake to grey and black throttle. Like this

The controller has five small outputs to match the five on the throttle. Colours are 2 x red, 2x blue and 1 x black (but the black is actually made of three wires exiting the controller

Finally the controller has a big thick wire ending in two separate points. The first is the three phase motor power (the chunky waterproof conector). The second is white and red , rather thin, and the red is soldered to strip of metal about 3 inches long. Here

Can these really be the power wires?! And if it's PAS then where is the power line ?

The motor is 250w 36v 260rpm and currently in a little brompton wheel

I have spare 36v 250w 8fun controller that is sensorless and independent throttle if need be......but I still need to get my head around this wiring

Thoughts ?

D

Deleted member 4366

You need to open the controller to see if those are battery wires, and maybe change them to something thicker if they are.

Once you have the battery connected, you can use a meter to find out which wires are 5v (probably the red ones) and which are ground (probably black). That leaves two signal wires, one of which is the throttle.

A meter should be able to show which pair is the switch if there's two wires to it, but sometimes they use the switch to switch the throttle, so all wires might be internal. The only way to be sure is to open it to see which three go to the hall sensor.

What's that other thing? is it a brake sensor or what? Are there LEDs on the throttle?

Unfortunately, your first photo is crappy, so it's difficult to see what you've got on my 4K monitor. You need to chuck your compact camera and get a decent smartphone to take nice pictures like mine.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Thanks for looking at this

To deal with each in turn then d8veh

Open controller , will do though it looked potted inside the case. It's only 12a. Like this taken yesterday

The throttle has led and a switch. Led marked full , half and empty

The "Thing" is so close to the throttle that I've guessed a brake cutout (or what's left of one)

The pictures from an iPhone 5s ! Just my shaky hand I think !

I understand the checks so it's all about getting power to controller to start with

Reactions: flecc
D

Deleted member 4366

The throttle is easy then:

Red 5v
Black 0v
White throttle signal
Green LEDs (connects to battery +ve)
Brown switch
Yellow switch.

Whatever that thing is (need a photo), it can't be a brake switch. The switch on the throttle shorts it to ground when on, and then it sits between ground and whatever when the switch is off.

Something doesn't add up: There's a green wire coming out of the controller, but it's not shown in your first photos.

I think I've figured the other thing. It probably is a brake switch, which has been wired in parallel with the throttle switch. The guy must have wanted to cut power when the controller's on, so he's wired the throttle switch to the brake switch so that when the red switch is on, it's like you have the brake on, so power is cut. The only reason to do that is when the PAS is permanently on, so there must be the possibility for PAS. I guess there's more wires, like the green one, which disappears. Find the end of it, and there will be your PAS.

Last edited by a moderator:

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
No extra wires I've been through to the controller, the picture shows the green badly that's all.

Those weedy wires are the power. They exit the controller thick red/black but are reduced to weedy ones of red and white after about six inches. I will upgrade

The controller actually states 5a with 12a max, super weedy

I think I'll just give up on it and go with the 8fun initially it's more powerful and has led, power, throttle Set up as already. Just need to attach phases and battery

D

Deleted member 4366

The green comes out of the controller, right? It's there large as life in the photo of the controller. It doesn't show on any of the connectors, so where does it go? You only have red, blue, black and white coming out of the harness,

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Unfortunately, your first photo is crappy, so it's difficult to see what you've got on my 4K monitor. You need to chuck your compact camera and get a decent smartphone to take nice pictures like mine.
The pictures from an iPhone 5s !
Ouch! :)

Alway a dangerous assumption these days when at least 90% of photos come from smartphones.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I've managed to get the motor up and running using the old 8fun controller and led .

Motor seems very smooth Nd quiet on the stand

Only thing is I thought it to be a tongxin motor (which I never owned before) and supposedly very freely rotating. This thing is far from free spinning

Stuck clutch ?

D

Deleted member 4366

Turn it by hand in each direction to feel if the clutch is stuck.

I think Outrider took over the Tongxin production, so probably bad news if it's a Tongxin clone with the roller gears. They're difficult to disassemble and break if you run them above 12 amps.